Chaos in USA

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in USA

#2421 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:30 am

Phillip Adams, ex-NFL player suspected in S.C. shooting, struggled through injuries during career
Adams might be best known for suffering a gruesome injury during a 2010 game between his visiting San Francisco 49ers and the St. Louis Rams.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex ... d-n1263504

April 8, 2021, 3:52 PM MST
By David K. Li and Helen Kwong
Family members were stunned and bewildered Thursday by a spasm of violence in which a one-time professional football player was accused of shooting and killing five people in South Carolina on Wednesday and then dying by suicide.

Authorities said Thursday that the man, Phillip Adams, 32, a former NFL defensive back, died by suicide after he shot Dr. Robert Lesslie, 70, his wife, Barbara Lesslie, 69, their grandchildren Adah Lesslie, 9, and Noah Lesslie, 5, and James Lewis, 38.

The York County Sheriff's Office said that after an hourslong manhunt, officers found a suspect who "lives on the same road" as the victims and that a search warrant was served at the house.

"There's nothing about this, right now, that makes sense to any of us," Sheriff Kevin Tolson said in a news conference Thursday.

Adams played six seasons in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers, the New England Patriots, the Seattle Seahawks, the Oakland Raiders, the New York Jets and the Atlanta Falcons.

He might be best known for suffering a gruesome injury during a game Dec. 26, 2010, in his rookie season, between his visiting 49ers and the St. Louis Rams. Troubling video and photos showed Adams' left ankle and foot appearing to be snapped and pointing in different directions while he was pinned under a Rams player.

He was cut after that season and bounced around to several other teams.

Adams suffered at least two concussions late in the 2012 season with the Raiders.

"I think the football messed him up," Alonzo Adams, who identified himself as Adams' father, told NBC affiliate WCNC of Charlotte, North Carolina. He did not elaborate on the details of any football-related injuries his son may have suffered.

The elder Adams was at a loss to explain the carnage that unfolded Wednesday, before his son died early Thursday.

"All I can say is we pray for the family," Alonzo Adams said. "He used to be my doctor a long time ago. I know they were good folks down there. We're going to keep them in our prayers."

Robert Lesslie was the founder and medical director of Riverview House Calls & Riverview Hospice and Palliative Care, according to the company's website. He received his medical degree from the Medical University of South Carolina and practiced in Rock Hill, south of Charlotte, for 40 years, the website said.

He and his wife had four adult children and eight grandchildren.

"We are truly in the midst of the unimaginable," the Lesslie family said in a statement Thursday. "The losses we are suffering cannot be uttered at this time. While we know there are no answers that will satisfy the question 'why,' we are sure of one thing: we do not grieve as those without hope."

Trent Faris, a sheriff's spokesman who has lived in Rock Hill his entire life, said Lesslie was his childhood doctor.

"A lot of people know Dr. Lesslie," Faris said. "This is a very tragic, tragic situation."

Investigators did not immediately determine a motive for the shooting.

Adams played in 78 NFL games from 2010 to 2015, making 121 tackles and intercepting five passes.

"Our hearts go out to the families and friends of the victims of this devastating tragedy," the NFL said in a statement.

Adams attended South Carolina State University, a historically Black college in Orangeburg, where he was an all-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference performer. He was picked in the seventh round of the 2010 NFL draft by San Francisco.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2422 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:32 am

1 dead, 5 others shot in Texas industrial park; suspect in custody
A state trooper who was also shot pursuing the suspect was in serious but stable condition.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/se ... e-n1263557

April 8, 2021, 2:40 PM MST / Updated April 8, 2021, 5:00 PM MST
By Doha Madani
At least one person was killed and five other people were injured — four of them critically — in a shooting at an industrial park Thursday in Bryan, Texas. Authorities said a suspect is in custody.

Officers responded to a call reporting a shooting at around 2:30 p.m. local time, Bryan police Lt. Jason James said. The shooting occurred at 350 Stone City Dr., near the Brazos County Industrial Park.

Detectives are interviewing witnesses. The suspect is believed to be an employee of Kent Moore Cabinets.

A state trooper who was shot pursuing a possible suspect was in serious but stable condition, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety. Gov. Greg Abbott confirmed that the department aided in the arrest in a statement praising law enforcement.

"The state will assist in any way needed to help prosecute the suspect," Abbott said. "Cecilia and I are praying for the victims and their families and for the law enforcement officer injured while apprehending the suspect."

Kent Moore Cabinets said that it was cooperating with authorities and supporting its employees following the shooing.

"We are devastated by the events today at our Bryan manufacturing facility located on Stone City Drive," the company said in a statement. "Our hearts go out to the families and the loved ones of those affected. We want to thank the many members of our law enforcement teams and other emergency personnel who responded so quickly."

The shooting occurred just hours after President Joe Biden announced a series of executive orders to curb gun violence. Biden's executive actions, which are likely to face legal hurdles, are aimed at reducing mass shootings, suicides and domestic violence.

"Gun violence in this country is an epidemic, and it is an international embarrassment," Biden said Thursday.

One of Biden's orders would direct the Justice Department to write rules that would reduce the proliferation of "ghost guns," homemade firearms often made from parts bought online, which do not have traceable serial numbers.

Another order directs the Justice Department to publish model "red flag" laws for states to use as guides for laws that allow family members or law enforcement agencies to petition state courts to temporarily block people from obtaining firearms if they present a danger to themselves or others.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2423 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:34 am

Dushan wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:56 pm
Well, that’s big of them to "agree" to remove dead people from voter rolls. What next? Chicago? Naaaah, who am I kidding?
So which voter roll in the USA are you on. On, no, I forgot! You live in Canada! Living vicariously through the USA political system must be a great buzz for you =))

I must ask you one day why you didn't settle in the USA? I hear Buffalo is so lovely in the winter! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#2424 Post by Dushan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:12 pm

You know what they say about Buffalo. If US needed an enema it would be administered in Buffalo.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2425 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:16 pm

Dushan wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:12 pm
You know what they say about Buffalo. If US needed an enema it would be administered in Buffalo.
I only went there once, in the middle of winter, and as you imply, it was memorable for all the wrong reasons, not least the appalling cold. ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2426 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:38 pm

TGG, one of the bomb sites we used, but only simultated bombs.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2427 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:46 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:38 pm
TGG, one of the bomb sites we used, but only simultated bombs.
I wonder if there is an American John Betjeman? Buffalo would be his or her Slough...
Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow
Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs, and blow to smithereens
Those air-conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town -
A house for ninety-seven down
And once a week for half-a-crown
For twenty years,

And get that man with double chin
Who'll always cheat and always win,
Who washes his repulsive skin
In women's tears,

And smash his desk of polished oak
And smash his hands so used to stroke
And stop his boring dirty joke
And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add
The profits of the stinking cad;
It's not their fault that they are mad,
They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know
The birdsong from the radio,
It's not their fault they often go
To Maidenhead

And talk of sports and makes of cars
In various bogus Tudor bars
And daren't look up and see the stars
But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care
Their wives frizz out peroxide hair
And dry it in synthetic air
And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough
To get it ready for the plough.
The cabbages are coming now;
The earth exhales.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2428 Post by llondel » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:17 pm

Dushan wrote:
Well, that’s big of them to "agree" to remove dead people from voter rolls. What next? Chicago? Naaaah, who am I kidding?
I have never quite understood the US aversion to having a system where they validate the roll at regular intervals. In the UK they update the roll each year by sending out forms to be returned with details of eligible residents. I can see that some states would try to put a very high bar on revalidation in an attempt to suppress the votes they didn't want, but a basic confirmation of "are you still here?" every couple of years wouldn't hurt. Yes, it costs money, but if they're that concerned about election fraud then they should damn well spend the money to do it properly and fairly.

On a side note, I see that part of the new Georgia law appears to put a requirement on counties to keep precincts below 2000 people and put in additional resources if they have a wait time of over an hour. I will watch their progress on this bit with interest.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#2429 Post by prospector » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:14 pm

One can understand why so many people got upset with the results of the election when this sort of stuff is coming out of the woodwork when the results are done and dusted.

Wisconsin Supreme Court Rules State Shouldn’t Purge Thousands of Voters Who May Have Moved From Rolls
BY JACK PHILLIPS April 9, 2021 Updated: April 9, 2021biggersmaller Print
Wisconsin’s Supreme Court, in siding with Democrats, ruled that the state should not purge voters from rolls after they were flagged as possibly having moved out of the state.

The court’s 5-2 ruling (pdf) means about 69,000 people on the list of likely movers will not have their voter registrations deactivated. Republicans had sought to purge the voter roles for years.

The Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty (WILL), a conservative group, argued that Wisconsin’s election commission broke the law when it didn’t remove voters from rolls after they did not respond within 30 days to a mailing effort in 2019 that indicated they were identified as someone who potentially moved out-of-state.

The lawsuit was first brought in 2019, and at that time, about 234,000 were on the list. Of those who remain, none voted in the 2016 presidential election, said the Wisconsin Elections Commission.

The court ruled that the job of removing voters from rolls is up to local election officials, not the state election commission.

“There is no credible argument that it does” apply to the commission, Justice Brian Hagedorn wrote for the majority.

Dissenting judges said that both state and local officials are responsible for clearing up voter rolls for people who have moved.

“The majority’s decision leaves the administration of Wisconsin’s electio

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#2430 Post by Dushan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:29 pm

llondel wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:17 pm
Dushan wrote:
I have never quite understood the US aversion to having a system where they validate the roll at regular intervals. In the UK they update the roll each year by sending out forms to be returned with details of eligible residents. I can see that some states would try to put a very high bar on revalidation in an attempt to suppress the votes they didn't want, but a basic confirmation of "are you still here?" every couple of years wouldn't hurt. Yes, it costs money, but if they're that concerned about election fraud then they should damn well spend the money to do it properly and fairly.

On a side note, I see that part of the new Georgia law appears to put a requirement on counties to keep precincts below 2000 people and put in additional resources if they have a wait time of over an hour. I will watch their progress on this bit with interest.
Democrat’s are not concerned about election fraud. They encourage it. The last thing they want to do is eliminate voters whose vote is guaranteed.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2431 Post by llondel » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:34 am

Dushan wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:29 pm
llondel wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:17 pm
Dushan wrote:

Democrat’s are not concerned about election fraud. They encourage it. The last thing they want to do is eliminate voters whose vote is guaranteed.
Even though no one, not even in Republican-run states, has found any shred of evidence of widespread fraud, it's all the Big Lie. The only cases that have passed by my feed were a couple of GOP voters impersonating relatives.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2432 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:36 am

+1

PP

prospector
Capt
Capt

#2433 Post by prospector » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:53 am

' Even though no one, not even in Republican-run states, has found any shred of evidence of widespread fraud,'

Maybe not widespread fraud, but there certainly has been cases of fraud, and why has it taken so long for these numbers to surface? and how efficient is a system that has 21,000 dead people enrolled.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2434 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:56 am

prospector wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:53 am
' Even though no one, not even in Republican-run states, has found any shred of evidence of widespread fraud,'

Maybe not widespread fraud, but there certainly has been cases of fraud, and why has it taken so long for these numbers to surface? and how efficient is a system that has 21,000 dead people enrolled.
What! Are you still coming up with the "we wuz robbed" tripe? Where is the rolls eyes emoticon? Ah there it is.... 8-|
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2435 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:06 am

21,000 dead people enrolled
There's always the dreadful (but OBVIOUSLY TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE) possibility that some of them might have been Republicans................. =))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2436 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:55 pm

+1

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2437 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:14 pm

In UK it is quite likely that there are postal votes sent to the deceased. Provided they provide an acceptable signature their vote will count ❎

There are also the legitimate postal votes by the deceased, those that file their vote early and die before polling day.

On their own their numbers will generally not be significant. More likely fraud is where head of household does a block vote either by post or by proxy.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2438 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:44 pm

Baby dies in ‘tragic’ shooting by three-year-old brother, Houston police say

Police believe an infant was fatally shot on Friday by his three-year-old brother after the older boy got a hold of a gun inside a Houston apartment.

The infant was shot in his abdomen on Friday morning, said Houston assistant police chief Wendy Baimbridge.

Several adults who were inside the apartment drove the eight-month-old boy to a hospital, where he died.

“I just want to take this moment and plead with parents and guardians all over to not allow your firearms to be accessible to anyone in the house,” Baimbridge said. “Lock them up. There are things that you can do to render that weapon safe. Please pray for this family. This is just a tragic event.”

Investigators initially were not able to locate the gun used in the shooting but found it inside the vehicle family members had used to take the infant to the hospital.

Investigators and prosecutors were still determining if any charges would be filed in the case, Baimbridge said.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... police-say
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2439 Post by OFSO » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:25 pm

Trump has written* a beautiful and moving tribute to The Duke of Edinburgh. Amazingly good.

*Well, someone has. It's signed by The Donald, anyway.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2440 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:28 pm

Not a single Covfefe!