Chaos in USA

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in USA

#3121 Post by FD2 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:08 pm

Agree! Four names that seem to define Western 'democracy' these days.

Trying to work out which of the present Tory candidates in the UK is 'worthy' is very hard - they are at it like rats in a sack. Sorry for diversion from US politics.

What does Biden have to do to convince whoever can control these things that he's obviously losing his mental facilities? Naive view I know, but a friend here who spent several years working in the States tried to explain the political and electoral systems to me and I went tilt after about 30 minutes.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3122 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:19 pm

"Shower of rhymes-with-kite" is how I've had the Tory candidates described to me by a perceptive UK resident.
My thoughts pre- Presidential election were that Biden was only a placeholder to slide Harris in after 6 months under the 25th. They knew he was senile already. However, she proved so crassly incompetent and more importantly unpopular, and in such short order, that they have been forced to keep him. And the people pulling his strings are no better themselves.
That said, it's hard to find any country where any of the prospective replacements are any better than the incumbents, USA included.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3123 Post by John Hill » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:42 am

I hope Trump gets in again and he should as it must be oh so easy to mobilize his minority hating followers.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3124 Post by llondel » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:40 am

The problem comes when people vote for who they want rather than who stands a chance of getting elected. Had Bernie Sanders gotten the Democrat ticket last time, Trump might well have won simply because of people who didn't turn out to vote. Biden was ultimately seen as someone who knew people on both sides and wasn't too far off centre to repel the moderate right wingers he needed to choose him over Trump.

As for the state of US politics, I put a lot of the blame for that on Mitch McConnell and his tactics and tricks. Declaring that Obama couldn't seat a Supreme Court judge in his last year and then rushing through one in Trump's last year (I know it was only his first term, but if he was going to win then they could have waited), and being blatantly non-cooperative has pretty much hamstrung Congress. I reckon the Republican establishment of the 70s would be shocked by how he does things. He tolerated Trump as a useful idiot and then lost control, hence his speech just after the Jan 6th riots and his subsequent backing down, the same for several other top party officials,all of whom were more concerned about getting re-elected than doing what was right.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3125 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:11 pm

The latest annual Gallup poll (it has run for nearly 50 years) reveals US citizens' trust in TV news is now down to 11%.
The only institution less trusted is....Congress, at 7%.

The only two institutions still above 50% are Small Business and The Military.

Confidence didn't increase anywhere since last year.

Mean confidence level is both the lowest ever (at 27%) and dropping at the fastest rate ever.

Looking at the breakdown shows big variations in who believes what.
e.g. Conservative trust in newspapers is 5%, liberal trust is 33%

Given that a similar split appears about the Presidency, one would have to question whether the respondents are actually indicating trust, or simply backing 'their' side.

I doubt this picture is different in any other western country.

summary at Gallup
https://news.gallup.com/poll/394283/con ... w-low.aspx

Full data
https://news.gallup.com/file/poll/39428 ... utions.pdf

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#3126 Post by Dushan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:51 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:19 pm
"Shower of rhymes-with-kite" is how I've had the Tory candidates described to me by a perceptive UK resident.
My thoughts pre- Presidential election were that Biden was only a placeholder to slide Harris in after 6 months under the 25th. They knew he was senile already. However, she proved so crassly incompetent and more importantly unpopular, and in such short order, that they have been forced to keep him. And the people pulling his strings are no better themselves.
That said, it's hard to find any country where any of the prospective replacements are any better than the incumbents, USA included.
Sorry for the diversion Fox, but don’t you think that Pierre Poilievre would be a great improvement over the current occupant of the Rideau Hall cottage?
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3127 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:08 pm

He's a professional politician, and in my opinion thus incapable of fixing anything.
The ship of Canada may sink a little more slowly, and with better-arranged deckchairs, than with Trudy in charge, but sink it still will.
I have had a couple of my neighbours mentioning him for the first time and in a positive tone recently, so I think many are now asking the question you have just posed. He is being seen as a genuine conservative, unlike the rest of the PC party.

However, what happens in the US in the next couple of years, both politically and economically, will I think make far more difference to us than which performing seal is in the Cottage.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3128 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:09 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:11 pm
The latest annual Gallup poll (it has run for nearly 50 years) reveals US citizens' trust in TV news is now down to 11%.
The only institution less trusted is....Congress, at 7%.

The only two institutions still above 50% are Small Business and The Military.
Sounds like Germany in 1933.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3129 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:37 am

Guess what the CIA thinks of its assessments that completely failed to predict the rapid Taliban takeover in Afghanistan?

"Very Proud"
says the Director

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... n-takeover

Apparently, being less wrong that the other agencies is what matters.
US-helo-over-embassy-compound-Kabul-1200x630.jpg

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3130 Post by llondel » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:13 pm

You don't have to outrun the bear, just your companions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3131 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:28 pm

That only holds if there are fewer bears than companions.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#3132 Post by prospector » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:25 am

https://www.rt.com/news/559801-washingt ... aign=Email

"Washington, DC mayor Muriel Bowser appealed to the Pentagon and the White House for National Guard aid to deal with thousands of illegal migrants being bused in from Texas and Arizona, but did not receive a response, a local outlet reported on Thursday. Bowser complained the capital’s resources were “overwhelmed” by the arrivals.

Bowser first asked for National Guard assistance on July 19 in a letter to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin. The second letter was dated July 22 and addressed to the White House, according to NBC affiliate WRC-TV, which posted the text of both. The mayor has yet to receive a response to either letter, according to the station.

In the first letter, Bowser notes that Arizona Governor Doug Ducey and Texas Governor Greg Abbott followed through with their threat to start sending migrants caught crossing the US border illegally to the nation’s capital. Pointing out that over 4,000 migrants had arrived in the district as of mid-July, Bowser complained that “the pace of arriving buses and the volume of arrivals have reached tipping points.”

How can this be, the Director of Homeland security has stated many many times the Southern border is secure

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#3133 Post by talmacapt » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:41 pm

A question for our American members.

Why is some geriatric female US politician traipsing around Asia to the annoyance of, some of, the people who live there?

Isn't it time she was put out to grass?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3134 Post by llondel » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:38 pm

talmacapt wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:41 pm
A question for our American members.

Why is some geriatric female US politician traipsing around Asia to the annoyance of, some of, the people who live there?

Isn't it time she was put out to grass?
I assumed she was there purposely to annoy them.

And what have you got against grass?

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3135 Post by boing » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:59 pm

As far as ideas go she has none apart from making her husband richer but she is able to keep the party members in line for most policies which is very valuable to the party.

Once she announced a trip to Taiwan what could they do? Stark choices, back out and look weak or go and risk the fall-out (intentional).

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#3136 Post by Dushan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:35 pm

boing wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:59 pm
As far as ideas go she has none apart from making her husband richer but she is able to keep the party members in line for most policies which is very valuable to the party.

Once she announced a trip to Taiwan what could they do? Stark choices, back out and look weak or go and risk the fall-out (intentional).

Looks like it backfired on them this time. Poor Pauly lost $400k, and his Porsche is a write-off to boot.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3137 Post by EA01 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:07 am

I must say I respect the Democrat Presidents knack for 'Taking Out' Al Queda leaders....great speech Biden, well done Sir!!

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3138 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:17 am

Murdering a retired vicar, who played no part in 9/11, is hardly a great political achievement. Is it?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3139 Post by John Hill » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:24 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:17 am
...who played no part in 9/11.
Yeabut if you say they did it that should surely be enough?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#3140 Post by Dushan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:26 pm

Played, or not played, is not as important as what the Frogs would say "pour encourage les autres".