a sporting semi-automatic rifle

Such a Murricane concept, dont.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in USA

#742 Post by boing » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:12 pm

UP

Please remember that "sporting" covers a lot of territory besides hunting. There are many competitions, including some with an international following, where the civilian AR variants and similar are required. I myself am not at all impressed by the AR series and particularly its pip-squeak cartridge the 5.56/223. Most 223 users do not even appreciate that the 223 is far less powerful than the old cowboy 30/30 Winchester cartridge but they seem to think it can stop anything. I don't hunt anymore but I would certainly have not used a 223.

The usual response to such criticism is that I would not like to be hit by a 223 bullet but neither would I enjoy being hit by a 22 Rimfire round and certainly not by the 308 the 223 replaced.

If the fellow in the video had fired into the crowd with that carbine he would probably have injured many people just by excess penetration never mind more shots and then he would quite justifiable have been punished. It is possible that he possessed the carbine for a sporting reason, or just for fun, but an AR variant does not make a sensible home-protection firearm for many reasons unless you have special circumstances.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#743 Post by Dushan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Good point Boing. What some here fail to understand is that an AR-15, and its many variants, is indeed a vanilla-type of firearms. Something you pick up at Walmart while the wife is getting groceries and kid’s clothes for the upcoming school year.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#744 Post by boing » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 pm

Dushan
Found an interesting Beretta target pistol some time ago in its original box with its original store price tag. It was sold about 60 years ago by the sporting goods section of what used to be the biggest department store in Portland, Oregon, Meier and Franks. Those stores were smart, while Mrs. was buying shoes or clothes upstairs Mr. slid down to the sporting goods store (usually in the basement) for his toys. I wonder how much the overall sales increased because of that arrangement?

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#745 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:06 pm

Dushan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm
Good point Boing. What some here fail to understand is that an AR-15, and its many variants, is indeed a vanilla-type of firearms. Something you pick up at Walmart while the wife is getting groceries and kid’s clothes for the upcoming school year.
A young man from Minnesota moves to Florida and goes to a big "everything under one roof" department store looking for a job.
The Manager says, "Do you have any sales experience?" The kid says "Yeah. I was a salesman back in Minnesota ."
Well, the boss liked the kid and gave him the job. "You start tomorrow. I'll come down after we close and see how you did."
His first day on the job was rough, but he got through it. After the store was locked up, the boss came down. "How many customers bought something from you today?"
The kid says "One".
The boss says "Just One? Our sales people average 20 to 30 customers a day. How much was the sale for?"
The kid says "$101, 237.65".
The boss says "$101,237.65? What the heck did you sell?"
The kid says, "First, I sold him a small fish hook. Then I sold hi m a medium fishhook. Then I sold him a larger fishhook. Then I sold him a new fishing rod. Then I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down the coast, so I told him he was going to need a boat, so we went down to the boat department and I sold him a twin engine Chris Craft. Then he said he didn't think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him down to the automotive department and sold him that 4x4 Expedition."
The boss said, "A guy came in here to buy a fish hook and you sold him a BOAT and a TRUCK?"
The kid said "No, the guy came in here to buy Tampons for his wife, and I said, 'Dude, your weekend's shot, you should go fishing.' "

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#746 Post by FD2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:44 pm

G-CPTN :)) :))

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#747 Post by boing » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:01 am

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#748 Post by BenThere » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:33 pm

More rifle talk:

I agree the commercial, mass market AR-15 appeals more for it's scary looks than its capability/functionality. But it proved effective in stopping the attack on that St. Louis homeowner exercising his 2nd Amendment rights.

As I've posted before, I have a .45 ACP pistol, a .22 LR semi, and a 5 round 12 gage pump shotgun. I'm looking for a revolver for my wife.

I've also considered a high powered rifle, 30.06 maybe, bolt action, with a long range and stopping power. Now a single shot, bolt action rifle has shortcomings, mostly to do with reloading, its operation is quite simple, though, and would guess reloading to fire ready would take about 10 seconds, five seconds with proficiency. That's probably good enough if you also have a .22 semi rifle with 16 rounds on standby. Your wife holding a .45 semi should allow protecting your front porch from the typical mob invasion, like the fellow in St. Louis did.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#749 Post by larsssnowpharter » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:00 pm

I trust you feel really safe, Ben. There you are armed to the teeth in the USA where your biggest concern is your choice over the next weapon to buy.

Meanwhile you vacation in Mexico a country with one of the highest murder rates in the World.

Your issue with single shot rifles and reloading is easily solved, by the way. Buy one with a magazine. But the, you knew that didn't you.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#750 Post by 1DC » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Ben,when you travel to your home in Mexico are you allowed to take your armoury with you??

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#751 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:01 am

Mexico is already awash with guns from America. People and drugs flood North. Guns flood South. It's what Chump would call "a great trade deal".

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#752 Post by Woody » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:56 am

AFAIK the protesters were passing in front of the property, so the response of the house owners was not in proportion to the supposed threat.
I agree the commercial, mass market AR-15 appeals more for it's scary looks than its capability/functionality. But it proved effective in stopping the attack on that St. Louis homeowner exercising his 2nd Amendment rights.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#753 Post by Dushan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:22 pm

Woody wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:56 am
AFAIK the protesters were passing in front of the property, so the response of the house owners was not in proportion to the supposed threat.
The rioters, or as you and MSM cal them "protesters" were inside private property. Their own video clip shows that they are entering through the gate. I don't know about Missouri specific laws, but in some states deadly force is legal in order to protect private property.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

fin
Capt
Capt

#754 Post by fin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:50 pm

Dushan wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:22 pm
Woody wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:56 am
The rioters, or as you and MSM cal them "protesters" were inside private property. Their own video clip shows that they are entering through the gate. I don't know about Missouri specific laws, but in some states deadly force is legal in order to protect private property.
The Magnolia state is one such. The Castle Doctrine has been expanded to include your vehicle as well as real estate. Not only is deadly physical force permitted to protect oneself and family, but the law further blocks any civil action with respect to the event. It is also an "open carry" state, but seldom have I personally witnessed this particular freedom being exercised.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#755 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:37 pm

I've written here about the folly of fracking.

Here's Bloomberg's take on the subjectmatter of what I said:

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#756 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:45 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:37 pm
Here's Bloomberg's take on the subjectmatter of what I said:
:-\

Bob
Capt
Capt

#757 Post by Bob » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:41 pm

Former Republican presidential candidate hospitalised with coronavirus.

Herman Cain, a 2012 Republican presidential candidate, has been diagnosed with Covid-19 and admitted to an Atlanta-area hospital, according to a statement on Thursday on his Twitter feed.

Mr Cain attended last month's Tulsa, Oklahoma, rally for President Donald Trump, supporting his fellow Republican at an event where many attendees crowded close together without wearing face masks to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

"Trump Tulsa Rally - I was there! The atmosphere was exciting and inspiring!" Cain wrote on Twitter after the June 20 rally. He also tweeted a maskless photograph of himself at the rally surrounded by fellow Trump supporters also not wearing masks.

Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh said Mr Cain did not meet with Trump in Tulsa. He said contact tracing was conducted after the campaign rally but he could not discuss individual cases.

Mr Cain was informed on Monday that he had tested positive for the coronavirus. By Wednesday, he had developed symptoms serious enough to require hospitalization. At 74, he is part of the age group most at risk for severe Covid-19.

I'm beginning to get it............Benny was right all along, these Republican dudes are Smart :-B
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#758 Post by BenThere » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:53 pm

When I go to Mexico, where I am now, I cannot have firearms or bring them in, like all Mexicans. I'm sure I could acquire one in Playa del Carmen if I wished, which I don't. I live in a resort complex, a gated community with three access gates guarded by armed security guards. Ample security roams the large property regularly at all hours. I don't even feel the need to look my doors, either when going out or overnight. I'm much safer here than at home in Michigan and I'm far away from the violent parts of Mexico, in fact I'm in paradise as I see it. Quintana Too state is extremely safe and has a very low Covid-19 count despite being a tourist magnet.

Perhaps I'm intrigued by the simplicity of a bolt action rifle and the fact I've never had one. The magazine would be nice but it complicates the rifle, a wrinkle I want to avoid. I also suspect there is nothing more reliable than a bolt action weapon. Also there is a wide choice of bolt action hunting rifles out there, some of them very classy (and expensive), and the good ones can tend to appreciate wildly. The Merkel K3 single fire has caught my eye.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#759 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:20 pm

One never feels the need to “look” one’s doors when living in a prison compound... =))

Lee Harvey Oswald allegedly carried out his master stroke using a bolt-action weapon so there must be some advantages to them, despite the apparent antiquity?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#760 Post by BenThere » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:20 pm

One never feels the need to “look” one’s doors when living in a prison compound... =))
I suspect that's not true, though I've never had the experience. I would think if one lived in a prison compound that if he had a door he would lock it.