Chaos in USA

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Capetonian

Re: Chaos in USA

#561 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:13 am

It has always impressed me that the USA is so huge and so diverse that you can be sweltering in the heat of the Rio Grande Valley in the morning, and skiing in Colorado the same afternoon.

Unfortunately the same diversity of climate and scenery gives rise to a large number of USAmericans whose knowledge of world geography is as good as non-existent. Somebody sent me one of those videos recently like this
https://www.boredpanda.com/americans-an ... gn=organic
where people can't even identify THEIR OWN COUNTRY on a map of the world.

I worked with a group of US travel agents, about half of whom thought the dollar was the only currency in the world, on the basis that Canada uses dollars and Mexico 'uses' (i.e accepts) dollars! They assured me that whilst Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Australia etc all use Dollars and they wouldn't believe that it's not the same as USD.

I was asked where South Africa was, and when I said that there are two clues in the name, I just got blank looks. With apologies to our more erudite and worldly USAmericans who frequent this forum, I do believe that too many of their compatriots are abysmally ignorant. It is no surprise that Trump was elected, on the other hand I suspect that some better informed and more intelligent USAmericans might have though that the Clinton woman was a poor, possibly worse, choice too.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#562 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:18 am

Capetonian

#563 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:40 am

Something like that, RiS, yes!

If these idiot savages who are burning and looting in the USA are so concerned about 'black lives' mattering, why don't they piss off back to Africa and do something to help the people there? I think we know the answer to that.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#564 Post by FD2 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 am

In his retirement in Germany my b-i--l helped out with tours for American groups 'doing Europe' and was a contact point between them and the tour organisers. He was contacted by one particularly grumpy individual from his very nice hotel to ask why the hell them locals didn't accept US Dollars for payment for anything. He was told that it was because the man was actually in Germany and it wasn't their currency, which turned him apoplectic. B-i-l was also particularly rude (he does a very good Father Jack impersonation, not deliberately though) to a woman who kept snapping her fingers at him to get his attention. The man then complained that he couldn't get on a train or bus and travel up to Hamburg and back in a day (from Bavaria) because it was 'so close' as he'd looked on a map. No country has a monopoly on stupidity though, as some of the contestants on 'The Chase' British quiz programme prove from time to time. Or rudeness, as the day trippers on Durdle Door beach proved.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#565 Post by tango15 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 am

I don't think Mrs Clinton has been quite right since that accident in Iran. She disappeared from public life for a while and then re-appeared perhaps a little too soon:

https://www.wikileaks.org/clinton-email ... 797628.pdf

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#566 Post by ian16th » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:08 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:13 am
It has always impressed me that the USA is so huge and so diverse that you can be sweltering in the heat of the Rio Grande Valley in the morning, and skiing in Colorado the same afternoon.
In December on Cyprus, you can ski on Troodos in the morning and swim in the Med in the afternoon.
The drive down to the sea is only a couple of hours.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#567 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 pm

The man then complained that he couldn't get on a train or bus and travel up to Hamburg and back in a day (from Bavaria) because it was 'so close' as he'd looked on a map.
I was on a flight from LON-CPT and behind was an elderly man with a young girl (I suspect there was money involved as she was rather attractve in a tarty way) whom he was trying to impress with his 'knowledge' of South Africa. He was spouting such utter drivel that it was painful to listen to and I was tempted to tell the girl that his advice was not just useless, but dangerous. I kept my mouth shut until I heard him say : "of course we can go to Durban one day, we'll hire a car and drive up, it takes about 2 hours, look, it's not very far", as he showed her the map in the in flight magazine.

As I was just getting up to go to the loo, I said :
"Let's see now, 1000 miles, 2 hours, 500 mph. Yep, easy."
Later, by chance, I happened to be standing in the aisle next to her, she gave me a knowing look, and said : "Don't worry, I've got him sussed" as she made a 'wanker' gesture with her hand!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#568 Post by ian16th » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:43 pm

Cape, Did you see the route map I posted to Somerset West?
I think it was 16+ hours on the road, and Durb's is over an hour from here.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#569 Post by John Hill » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:34 pm

Stuck in Karachi after PIA cancencelled the next leg to Peshawar I was approached by someone offering a 'fast taxi' to take me there. It would have taken at least 20 hours by my estimation although locals later told me it would have taken 36 hours.

I waited for the fog to clear up north and finally made it to Kabul via PIA to Islamabad, 'fast taxi' to Peshawar and Cessna 206 to Kabul.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#570 Post by ian16th » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:50 pm

John Hill wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:34 pm
Stuck in Karachi
You have my deepest sympathy.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#571 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:00 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 pm
The man then complained that he couldn't get on a train or bus and travel up to Hamburg and back in a day (from Bavaria) because it was 'so close' as he'd looked on a map.
I was on a flight from LON-CPT and behind was an elderly man with a young girl (I suspect there was money involved as she was rather attractve in a tarty way) whom he was trying to impress with his 'knowledge' of South Africa. He was spouting such utter drivel that it was painful to listen to and I was tempted to tell the girl that his advice was not just useless, but dangerous. I kept my mouth shut until I heard him say : "of course we can go to Durban one day, we'll hire a car and drive up, it takes about 2 hours, look, it's not very far", as he showed her the map in the in flight magazine.

As I was just getting up to go to the loo, I said :
"Let's see now, 1000 miles, 2 hours, 500 mph. Yep, easy."
Later, by chance, I happened to be standing in the aisle next to her, she gave me a knowing look, and said : "Don't worry, I've got him sussed" as she made a 'wanker' gesture with her hand!
Maybe map reading is not a skill taught enough in the schools.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#572 Post by John Hill » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:04 pm

ian16th wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:50 pm
John Hill wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:34 pm
Stuck in Karachi
You have my deepest sympathy.

Karachi was not so bad.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#573 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:16 pm

tango15 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 am
I don't think Mrs Clinton has been quite right since that accident in Iran. She disappeared from public life for a while and then re-appeared perhaps a little too soon:

https://www.wikileaks.org/clinton-email ... 797628.pdf

Heaven forfend that poor old Hillary kicks the bucket! Who then will the gibbering Trumpista's, and sundry other loons, some that might even post here, have as a focal point for their paraphilic obsessions, undisguised misogyny and deranged right wing conspiracy theories?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

prospector
Capt
Capt

#574 Post by prospector » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:25 pm

"Heaven forfend that poor old Hillary kicks the bucket! Who then will the gibbering Trumpista's, and sundry other loons, some that might even post here, have as a focal point for their paraphilic obsessions, undisguised misogyny and deranged right wing conspiracy theories?'

'and sundry other loons, some that might even post here"

Well, you said it, and you got it right.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#575 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:53 pm

prospector wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:25 pm
"Heaven forfend that poor old Hillary kicks the bucket! Who then will the gibbering Trumpista's, and sundry other loons, some that might even post here, have as a focal point for their paraphilic obsessions, undisguised misogyny and deranged right wing conspiracy theories?'

'and sundry other loons, some that might even post here"

Well, you said it, and you got it right.
You? Me? Or both of us...? :))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

prospector
Capt
Capt

#576 Post by prospector » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:04 am

"Mostofus"

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#577 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:06 am

prospector wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:04 am
"Mostofus"
:-o ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#578 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:14 am

I have noticed that the Aussies, have lost their argumentative spirit these days. Bring back Slasher I say, that and hanging... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#579 Post by boing » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:31 am

So your looking for an argument. Which rules, Roberts or Queensbury? ;))) ;)))

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#580 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:36 am

boing wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:31 am
So your looking for an argument. Which rules, Roberts or Queensbury? ;))) ;)))

Well, Sir I respect your understanding of these matters, but I insist on the 5 minute argument... ;)))

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."