A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#621 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:20 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:14 pm
It comes to something when one has to agree with PM. The power of the virus.
Johnson is a charlatan and a paper tiger but in the land of the blind the one eyed is king. Oh woe England and Britain that you should be led by such as these in your time of need...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#622 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:29 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:09 am
Thanks - I looked but didn't find.
barkingmad wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:39 pm
Surprised my link didn’t give you the info you wanted, was it regarded as inadequate or could you not open it?
Misunderstanding - what I meant was that prior to your link I had looked but didn't find 'personal' information about JT
Link that you supplied was just fine.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#623 Post by barkingmad » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:01 pm

G-CPTN, no problemo!

I just had an impression of your position in dingly-dell, which is ruining your TV reception, was also bending and breaking a dial-up connection for the wibbly webbly wobbly feed?! #:-S

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#624 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Just a problem with trying to be brief to save bandwidth.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#625 Post by om15 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 pm

Johnson is a charlatan and a paper tiger but in the land of the blind the one eyed is king. Oh woe England and Britain that you should be led by such as these in your time of need...
Not an opinion that appears to be shared.
Public confidence in Boris Johnson's handling of the coronavirus epidemic has soared since the national lockdown and Rishi Sunak's pledge to underwrite the national wage bill, according to a poll.
The proportion of people who believe the Government is handling the outbreak well rose from almost half (49 per cent) to two in three (67 per cent) over the past week.
An ORB International survey also found growing willingness among the population to sacrifice their human rights in order to help prevent the disease, with 86 per cent now stating they were prepared to do so compared to 72 per cent last week.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... -epidemic/

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#626 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:11 pm

om15 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 pm
Not an opinion that appears to be shared.
Public confidence in Boris Johnson's handling of the coronavirus epidemic has soared since the national lockdown and Rishi Sunak's pledge to underwrite the national wage bill, according to a poll.
The proportion of people who believe the Government is handling the outbreak well rose from almost half (49 per cent) to two in three (67 per cent) over the past week.
An ORB International survey also found growing willingness among the population to sacrifice their human rights in order to help prevent the disease, with 86 per cent now stating they were prepared to do so compared to 72 per cent last week.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... -epidemic/
Opinion is like a woman's favour om15. Written in the wind and the running water...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#627 Post by Boac » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:14 pm

The government's results in providing equipment and tests is absymal. Hancock should go. If he had said a couple of weeks ago "We just don't have the equipment or means of distributing it", while there would have been outcries there would have been no false hopes. He did not shine at DCMS either. A waste of space. BoJO no better: Piss and wind as they say.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#628 Post by barkingmad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:48 pm

Watching the “Presidential Daily Briefing” on UK meeja makes me think immediately of the phrase “fighting a rearguard action”.
They certainly don’t appear to be ahead of the game in any area. It’s a worry, but luckily this war is not an armed conflict or we’d be sunk. Actually, come to think of it..........
I’m not the only one to be uncomfortable with the UK Govt strategy;

Today’s observed and reported increase in private car movements might be a sign of impatience by the peasantry.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#629 Post by om15 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:24 pm

BoJO no better: Piss and wind as they say.

Let's see what he says when he is better, meanwhile Nigel is still unrelenting in applying pressure in the right direction, received this email from the Brexit Party (remember them) this morning.

The global pandemic caused by the Coronavirus means our country is in a serious crisis, along with the rest of the world. We will come through this massive, difficult challenge. However, the vital decisions that are taken over the next few weeks will have a huge bearing on the recovery, both in terms of scale and speed. The social and economic impacts of this crisis are profound. Our Prime Minister needs to show true leadership as confidence is slipping fast; he should change the ministers responsible for delivering on testing and equipping our brave NHS workers, for others who can perform.

Incredibly, its exactly one year ago today that we took the decision to activate the Brexit Party with the slogan Change Politics for Good. What a year its been!

So much has happened. Firstly, thank you for your incredible support. The Brexit Party had a huge impact, rescuing Brexit, and forcing substantial change in the leadership of the Conservatives. They then won a massive majority in the General Election by adopting many of our proposals. There would have been no Brexit without The Brexit Party.

There is much more to be done to keep trying to change things for the good. I have been keen to praise the Prime Minister on things well done, such as on Brexit so far since the election.

However, there are big issues where I have been critical. Apart from HS2, the decision to proceed with the Chinese firm Huawei on our 5G network flies in the face of common sense. Our main security partners in the Five Eyes network are furious with us. The Coronavirus crisis has clearly already taught us that we must be much more self-dependent on critical infrastructure and key supplies. Once this crisis is over there needs to be some serious debate about our relationship with China.

We know that we can still have an impact on public opinion and ensure positive change. Thank you for your continuing support.

Best Wishes,

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#630 Post by Boac » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:41 pm

Let's see what he says when he is better
- I was looking at what he has said so far! I do not expect him to pontificate whilst on his death bed.

The Brexit party - are they still going? I thought they had faded away. Does 'best wishes' come from anyone in particular?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#631 Post by om15 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:14 pm

Yes, it was signed "Nigel".

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#632 Post by Boac » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:02 pm

I thought the BP and the NF had parted company? Are they that desperate?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#633 Post by barkingmad » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:14 pm

1. Yes, they parted company.
2. BP is still in existence and will rise Phoenix-like from the ashes when BoJo & Co appear to be caving in to Brussels.
They are supposed to be awaiting the chance to hold his feet to the fire after all the promises. [-X

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#634 Post by barkingmad » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:27 am

Reported UK average daily death rate just north of 1,600 per day, from all causes, pre-Covid-19 out of population 65 million.
Reported deaths in China from Covid-19 since outbreak, 3,300 in a population of ?
Something doesn’t quite look right to me.
Jeff here has a very sobering assessment of the effects of what might be a self-inflicted wound;

No point in running for the hills if the new take on civil liberties is rigidly enforced by the remains of post-austerity Plod?
But Jeremy and Momentum will be cheering in their allotments and union meeting halls.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#635 Post by barkingmad » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:31 pm

Oh goody, Jeff Taylor tells us that UK citizens will be fruit & crop picking in lieu of the East Europeans who’ve fled these shores and may not be back in time for this year’s harvest.
So that’s lots of nice outdoor jobs for those of us deprived of employment. But after over 4 decades of early mornings in the service of aviation I don’t feel able at my age to commit to up before the lark in order to bend over all day picking strawberries!
So I regret I’ll be unable to join the horny-handed hordes. But I could have a crack at driving the tractor...

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#636 Post by boing » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:24 pm

Now, if the milk-maids are back I might think about this.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#637 Post by barkingmad » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 pm

boing wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:24 pm
Now, if the milk-maids are back I might think about this.

In preference to goat-herding then? But with today’s “woke” generation I suspect the first lascivious look from you to them and a rapid redeployment and relocation would follow. The comment elsewhere in O-N on the subject of haybales and the discomfort resulting from a romp therein is seriously damping my ardour and enthusiasm to “pick for Britain”!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#638 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:51 pm

"pick for Britain" - there's always your navel, or............... :))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#639 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:48 pm

BM, at my last job, everyday in the strawberry season I would stop off on the way home and pick my own. When I first did this the local Coop was selling US strawberries at £2/lb and TOO were 40p/lb. At those prices it would make a big difference, cut out the middle man.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#640 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:14 pm

Are we suggesting that henceforth (or at least whilst this pandemic lasts) the public should be encouraged to spend their leisure time by visiting 'the fields' and picking their own fruit and vegetables?