WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#1561 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:57 am

FD2, it may take a little longer than 14 days or whatever as the primaries may be asymptomatic or mildly affected and the spine by May occur with secondary infections.

How long after such gathering in the States before their infection surge?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1562 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:59 pm

PN:
It is already happening here. Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California are all seeing massive spikes. Fortunately, deaths are not up as much as cases of infection simply because the medical professionals are getting more experience with treatment.
The situation in the hospitals is still dire. In Arizona, ICU beds are about to max out, PPE is in short supply again, and hospital personnel are burning out. They are calling for medical reinforcements to be brought in and asking for help from the military. From what I see on the news, parts of Florida and Texas are in the same predicament.
All of this was because the governors were in a rush to reopen. The governor of Arizona had to roll back things and reclosed gyms, water parks, bars, and limited restaurant capacity. He still won't mandate masks on a statewide basis buy did relent and allow local governments to implement mask rules.
School openings have been pushed back by two weeks but I think that won't be happening. My daughter's school district has already announced that they will be online only for at least the first month. That is an optimistic guess.
When will it end?

PP

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1563 Post by FD2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:47 pm

pp - That's sad but somehow predictable. At least your daughter can be at home.

Meanwhile, Britain's young 'ambassadors' have embarked on a charm offensive to impress the locals in Magaluf. Makes you proud doesn't it? There are times when public floggings for maximum humiliation thoughts pass through my mind but I quickly unthink them in case the thought police find out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... n-holiday/

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1564 Post by OFSO » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:52 pm

Went to get my reserved copy of the Sunday Times. Couldn't get near newsagent due to illegally parked cars. All French. Then to lunch in small quiet town. Plotted a route to avoid main roads with French imbeciles. Probably British hooligans worse. Just.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#1565 Post by Bob » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:54 am

It is already happening here. Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California are all seeing massive spikes. Fortunately, deaths are not up as much as cases of infection simply because the medical professionals are getting more experience with treatment.
Treatment improvements are no doubt having an effect, but the main reason you havn't yet seen a corresponding spike in deaths is that it takes some time to die...................deaths on average trail infections by 3 weeks
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1566 Post by Boac » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:24 am

Meanwhile, back in the UK.

Do we know the travel history and origins of the Fruit Farm workers that have been infected?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1567 Post by Boac » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 am

Further rants - why is it that we consistently seem to be able to export louts to foreign places on holiday? Are we alone in this geographically? The latest behaviour of the idiots reported in Magaluf is appalling.

Rant 2 (start the week as you meant to go on...?) - the Mayor of Leicester said today that the C-19 test results 'data' Leicester has received from Tony Hancock's department is inadequate and 2 weeks out of date.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1568 Post by Boac » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:09 am

Dear Dom is busy deepening his control of the UK by forming his little (or large...) policy review unit inside number 10.

Amusingly he has said of it

"We don't want confident public school bluffers"

That's Bojo gone, then............... =))

Where does this all fit with the Brexit master-plan of getting rid of unelected bureaucrats?

Bob
Capt
Capt

#1569 Post by Bob » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:17 pm

the Mayor of Leicester said today that the C-19 test results 'data' Leicester has received from Tony Hancock's department is inadequate and 2 weeks out of date.
One complete arsehole offloading blame on another complete arsehole, Sir Peter knew very well what was happening in his city but his business mate's profit margins came before lives, neither of them give a ***** about the people they once pretended to serve and both are symptomatic of the endemic corruption and cronyism that has spread through all layers of UK Governance and so called public srvice
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1570 Post by Boac » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:30 pm

business mate'
Name?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1571 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:55 pm

Capetonian

#1572 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:12 pm

I do wish the press would refer to them as what they are, illegal/clandestine immigrants, or invaders.

They give genuine immigrants a bad name.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1573 Post by Boac » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:27 pm

I think you will find they are only 'illegal' AFTER they 'cross English Channel in small boats' and fail to seek asylum so technically the headline is, unfortunately, correct.

However, plucking possibly good news from the bad in the BBC item:

"More than 200 migrants were also intercepted by the French authorities and prevented from making the crossing."

and

"On Saturday, 21 migrants in three boats were brought back to France - including four who were suffering from severe hypothermia after their boat capsized."

That is a welcome change. Nigel will be a little bit pleased.

Capetonian

#1574 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:49 pm

From my airline days, it is an offence to depart from a country without the necessary documentation for entry into the country of destination.
We had people arrested for attempting travel on forged visas or passports.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1575 Post by Boac » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:03 pm

What about seeking asylum?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1576 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm

I believe that the Navy has a way with dealing with submariners, especially when they had their old diesel submarines. Post cruise, all assemble in a shed, concrete floors, minimal furniture, ample stocks of booze. Lock doors, let havoc and personal debriefs begin.

These Spanish should learn from this. What do our noble sons of merry England want? The solution is simple. A large compound, secure bars (for the Spanish bar staff. Concrete bedroom with a sprinkler washroom systems. Take all their money off them and give them plastic tokens.

Double fence, watch towers with sea water cannons, ship them home when they run out of tokens.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1577 Post by ian16th » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:47 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:49 pm
From my airline days, it is an offence to depart from a country without the necessary documentation for entry into the country of destination.
We had people arrested for attempting travel on forged visas or passports.
Does a 100% UK citizen need a valid UK passport to enter the UK?

I ask this question, because I believe that a UK passport is needed for a UK citizen to travel to FOREIGN countries. Not to return.

Is a UK birth certificate adequate ID?

Just asking.
Cynicism improves with age

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1578 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:02 pm

ian16th wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:47 pm
I ask this question, because I believe that a UK passport is needed for a UK citizen to travel to FOREIGN countries. Not to return.
A passport includes a photograph, whereas a birth-certificate does not and it is difficult to prove identity.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1579 Post by ian16th » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:02 pm
ian16th wrote:
A passport includes a photograph, whereas a birth-certificate does not and it is difficult to prove identity.
I appreciate that a passport is the 'easy' way.

What I'm asking is, is it a legal requirement?
Cynicism improves with age

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1580 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm

ian16th wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 pm
G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:02 pm
ian16th wrote:
I appreciate that a passport is the 'easy' way.

What I'm asking is, is it a legal requirement?
How do you prove that it is your birth certificate?