WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#5981 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:31 pm

Golly! Can you say 'arse'?

The Telegraph reckons Rory Stewart is not lost to view and apparently has written a book "Politics on the Edge". I love this comment from the Torygraph:

"Rory Stewart was never going to be prime minister. He had far too many glaring flaws. For one, he’d held a variety of difficult jobs in the real world (soldier, diplomat, professor at Harvard), rather than becoming a Spad straight out of Oxford, like modern MPs are meant to. For another, his speeches made it sound as if he’d given actual thought to the subject at hand, rather than just reciting a list of crowd-pleasing soundbites scripted by a strategist. Most damaging of all, however, was the inescapable impression that he said things because he genuinely meant them, rather than because a pollster had told him they would be popular. As a result, he was entirely unsuited to modern politics, and his campaign to become PM in 2019 ended in swift and crushing failure."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment ... &ei=5&rc=1

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5982 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:35 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:31 pm
Golly! Can you say 'arse'?
In the context of Gillian Keegan, there is nothing else to be said! =))
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5983 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:14 pm

Doe she recognise that if she had not sat on her not insignificant arse since taking office almost a year ago she might have been judged to have done a 'copulatingly good job'?

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5984 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:48 pm

Education secretary Gillian Keegan might be of the view that no one cares about your A-level results, but it seems rather likely that her F*** and an A*** will haunt her for the rest of her life.

Her 20-second clip on ITV News, featuring an f-bomb followed by an “arse”, is an instant classic. For arrogance and stupidity, there is simply no way it could ever be marked down.

I must have watched it 20 times now and am nowhere near close to the point at which it stops improving on every viewing.

When she – the actual education secretary – spent A-level results day announcing to heartbroken children that no one cares about their A-level results, there was at least a tacit expectation that she wouldn’t say or do anything more stupid than that before the end of the school holidays. Those expectations have been more than surpassed.

At the time of typing, an unknown number of thousands of children will not be returning to an unknown number of hundreds of schools this week, because their classrooms are made of crumbly concrete that has been declared unsafe.

There are many questions that thousands of parents would like answered. They are such things as: “When will the school reopen?” Or, more parochially: “Are you really saying that my child could have had her classroom collapse on top of her?”

There is one question that none of them is asking, but that appears to be the one that Gillian Keegan wants to be asked. And that is, why has no one thanked Gillian Keegan for all her hard work?

Or, to put it verbatim: “Does anyone ever say, ‘You know what, you’ve done a f****** good job because everyone else has sat on their arse and done nothing’? No signs of that, no?”

That’s what, at this moment of mushrooming crisis, Gillian Keegan demands of Daniel Hewitt from ITV News, in comments that have already been wrongly described as a “hot mic” incident. A “hot mic” is what happens when someone says something they shouldn’t say because they’re not on camera but forgets they’re still wearing a TV microphone.

Keegan’s is a whole order above that, a whole new format, frankly. This is a “hot interview”, in which the interviewee somehow forgets they are standing in front of a television camera, giving a television interview, and talking to the news reporter who is interviewing them.

An interview in which, three days on from the breaking of yet another scandal that in normal times could finish off a government but for this lot is all in a week’s work, the education secretary wants to know why the media aren’t thanking her for everything she’s done.

A few hours before Keegan’s comments, the former top civil servant at the Department for Education had been on the radio to say that the problem had partly come about because when his department had pointed out that the fund for school repairs needed to be expanded from a hundred schools a year to several hundred, the then chancellor Rishi Sunak decided instead to slash it from a hundred to 50.

That was the point at which the prime minister might have expected his day to not get any worse. But then, along comes Gillian Keegan to put it even more bluntly.

“Everyone has sat on their arse and done nothing.” Truly, a quote for the ages. You don’t even need to have had your A-level history moderated down to a D to know that it should never be forgotten.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/gi ... 04589.html

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5985 Post by Woody » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:39 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5986 Post by Woody » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:52 am

School uniform fees rise yet again as parents are forced to fork out for high-vis, a hard hat and a safety whistle.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5987 Post by tango15 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:24 am

Woody wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:39 am
Filmed at Butlin's Filey, where the interviewee is wearing the Millennium version of the redcoat, designed by Michael Portaloo

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5988 Post by tango15 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:33 am

As evidence, if any is required, that this is nothing new, I submit my own experience some 30 years ago, when dealing with a division of the MoD. They had decamped to a building in Southwark, where some form of concrete cancer was rampant. Such was the situation that netting had been installed around the building to catch the pieces that were falling off. I swear this is true. At one point I actually saw a piece of concrete fall into the netting. It must be said that it was temporary accommodation and the building was subsequently demolished, but if memory serves, they occupied it for about a year. Now, have I broken the OSA in revealing this? :-?

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#5989 Post by Rossian » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:48 pm

Back in 1999 walking in northern Spain, I noticed that in both big cathedrals Burgos and Leon there were large swathes of green netting high up in the roofs to catch bits of crumbling stone work(which were visible in the netting). I saw one large, yea verily ginormous, reredos, beatifully carved a la Grinling Gibbons in pearwood (I knew about those things in those days) and gave it a tap with my knuckles releasing a huge fall of woodworm dust. A clerical member of staff gave me a wigging about "damaging" church property. I explained that as a heathen I wasn't all that bothered.

The Ancient Mariner

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5990 Post by 1DC » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:20 pm

32,250 schools 154 schools, so far, with a problem. The 2 in my town haven't closed because the RAAC problem is insignificant. The problem comes to light two days before the start of term. With the aid of the woke driven media and opposition it becomes a national emergency. I just wonder who set it up? The big problem to me is that we have such a wet government they are aren't capable of fighting back against this stuff. Maggie would have torn em up for bum paper.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5991 Post by OFSO » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:32 pm

Netting also for many years on the facade of Girona Cathedral. Gigantic statues leaning out slightly. Towers above the city on a hillside. Menacing.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5992 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:31 pm

What's missing from thus description?

"West Yorkshire Police said she has dark hair, a black top, black shorts, black knee-high socks, and black boots, and are seeking help from the public to identify her."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5993 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:53 pm

Eye color? :D

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5994 Post by Boac » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:52 pm

Inside leg?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5995 Post by Woody » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:41 am

It was actually less than 49 days, as there was an official mourning period for the passing of HM Queen Elizabeth.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5996 Post by Woody » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:47 am

Waiting with baited breath for the lettuce’s version of the same B-) B-)

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5997 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:35 am

Woody wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:41 am

It was actually less than 49 days, as there was an official mourning period for the passing of HM Queen Elizabeth.
Never has such a stupid face sunk a bigger economy!

What me worried! The woman is entirely deluded.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5998 Post by OFSO » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:49 pm

Not only is the woman deluded, so are those that voted for her.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5999 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:08 pm

so are those that voted for her the Conservative party.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6000 Post by OFSO » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:56 pm

"Criminal damage to Ulez cameras or vehicles puts the perpetrators at risk of prosecution and injury, while simultaneously risking the safety of the public."

Spokesman for USLESS, sorry ULEZ.
So there!