A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Seenenough

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#4821 Post by Seenenough » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:42 am

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:38 am
admin2 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:24 am
Twitter is carrying several local radio 'interviews' with the Truss on the economy and more this morning, and they are not convincing anyone. IF the Conservative Party conference goes ahead this weekend it will be worth watching!
Appears that she is doubling down on her nonsense! This can only end badly for all of us.

So if you were in control of the Exchequer,Caco,what would you do correct the situation where more money is leaving than is coming in and which has been the case for some while?

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4822 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:48 am

Seenenough wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:42 am
TheGreenAnger wrote:
admin2 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:24 am
Twitter is carrying several local radio 'interviews' with the Truss on the economy and more this morning, and they are not convincing anyone. IF the Conservative Party conference goes ahead this weekend it will be worth watching!
Appears that she is doubling down on her nonsense! This can only end badly for all of us.

So if you were in control of the Exchequer,Caco,what would you do correct the situation where more money is leaving than is coming in and which has been the case for some while?

Well I certainly would not have decided make a tax cut, favouring a small minority of the superrich, in an ailing economy, inflation on the rise, where all the indicators point to the economy being unable to service the ensuing debt and fiscal shortfall. Surely somebody, even the innumerate, like you can see that Seenenough. The markets have decided they don't like what they see, and neither do I.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Seenenough

#4823 Post by Seenenough » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:53 am

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:48 am
Seenenough wrote:
TheGreenAnger wrote:

Well I certainly would not have decided make a tax cut, favouring a small minority of the superrich, in an ailing economy, inflation on the rise, where all the indicators point to the economy being unable to service the ensuing debt and fiscal *****. Surely somebody, even the innumerate, like you can see that Seenenough. The markets have decided they don't like what they see, and neither do I.
Spending less seems not to be an option to you.

If it goes on you all might find yourselves experiencing some Greek style Austerity.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4824 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:20 am

Seenenough wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:53 am
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Seenenough wrote:

Well I certainly would not have decided make a tax cut, favouring a small minority of the superrich, in an ailing economy, inflation on the rise, where all the indicators point to the economy being unable to service the ensuing debt and fiscal *****. Surely somebody, even the innumerate, like you can see that Seenenough. The markets have decided they don't like what they see, and neither do I.

If it goes on you all might find yourselves experiencing some Greek style Austerity.

Yes, bit not necessarily for all the same reasons the Greeks ended up in the mire!
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Seenenough

#4825 Post by Seenenough » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:37 am

TheGreenAnger wrote:

Yes, bit not necessarily for all the same reasons the Greeks ended up in the mire!
[/quote]

Maybe,Caco,the markets are unhappy because they can see that there is little chance of current revenue levels rising and also that there is an unwillingness in the people of the UK to tighten their belts a bit to balance things out.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4826 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:02 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:34 pm
An interesting position for Kami-Kwasi and the Truss. Although she is by now well-used to U-turning, she cannot afford to turn on this, so resignation will be the only option. I hope she hasn't bought any expensive wallpaper for the flat (with someone else's money, of course....) =))
Here she is bumbling through her round of radio broadcasts today.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nomy-pound

Seenenough

#4827 Post by Seenenough » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:12 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:02 pm
Boac wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:34 pm
An interesting position for Kami-Kwasi and the Truss. Although she is by now well-used to U-turning, she cannot afford to turn on this, so resignation will be the only option. I hope she hasn't bought any expensive wallpaper for the flat (with someone else's money, of course....) =))
Here she is bumbling through her round of radio broadcasts today.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nomy-pound
Truss said: “I understand families are struggling with their fuel bills and we had to take urgent action to get our economy growing, get Britain moving and also deal with inflation. Of course, that means taking controversial and difficult decisions.”

Seems to me that she understands that the UK needs to urgently get it's economy to grow.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4828 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:23 pm

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4829 Post by Woody » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:30 pm

and also that there is an unwillingness in the people of the UK to tighten their belts a bit to balance things out.
We’ve had over a decade of austerity under the current government, which is probably why after the lockdowns imposed by them, the population has gone on a spending spree.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Seenenough

#4830 Post by Seenenough » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:15 pm

Woody wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:30 pm
and also that there is an unwillingness in the people of the UK to tighten their belts a bit to balance things out.
We’ve had over a decade of austerity under the current government, which is probably why after the lockdowns imposed by them, the population has gone on a spending spree.
For so long as the UK economy shrinks and remains stagnant the austerity will continue and the Pound will continue to loose value.

A Labor Government would find themselves in exactly the same position.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4831 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:23 pm
The Grauniad speaks https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... 64458793-1
For once Simon Jenkins seems to have summed it up in a nutshell. Agreeing with with both Rentoul in the Independent and Jenkins in The Guardian on the same day! Wow!
But Thatcher’s libertarianism was always skin deep and never lost touch with economic reality, let alone responsibility.
And Truss is no Margaret Thatcher no matter how much she tries to ape her.

Seenenough

#4832 Post by Seenenough » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:38 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 pm
Boac wrote:
For once Simon Jenkins seems to have summed it up in a nutshell. Agreeing with with both Rentoul in the Independent and Jenkins in The Guardian on the same day! Wow!
But Thatcher’s libertarianism was always skin deep and never lost touch with economic reality, let alone responsibility.
Another fine example of lots of criticism where there is no solution other than to raise interest rates and to cut government spending money that they do not have.

Dare I mention the fact that when Trump and the Republicans cut taxes and made sure energy costs were held in check that the result was a soaring US economy.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4833 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:46 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:38 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 pm
Boac wrote:
Another fine example of lots of criticism where there is no solution other than to raise interest rates and to cut government spending money that they do not have.

Dare I mention the fact that when Trump and the Republicans cut taxes and made sure energy costs were held in check that the result was a soaring US economy.
No, the answer is simple, Truss and Kwaki Wikonki, should show some wisdom and humility, back down on the huge tax giveaway, and start listening to the economically literate and attempt to repair the market situation by listening, and refraining from inflammatory piffle in order to restore some international confidence in the British economy.

Blind ideology nein danke!

Seenenough

#4834 Post by Seenenough » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:24 pm

It is a proven fact that excessive taxing of companies and individuals induces them to invest money as well as reside outside of the monetary area that overtaxes them.

As an example droves of people and Businesses are leaving California and moving to states that tax more fairly and move to states that tax more realistically and without enforcing costly and unviable ideologies.

The rivets are now comming loose in California now as they cannot develop enough energy to meet its own power needs.

It is no use owning an EV if you can't find power to charge it or use an A/C when temperature become excessive.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4835 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:32 pm

One Twatter comment on the Truss's radio performance today

""Liz Truss has finally broken her long painful silence with a series of short painful silences." :))

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4836 Post by Woody » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:19 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4837 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:52 pm

The latest opinion poll gives something like a 33% lead to Labour over the Conservatives which apparently would give a majority in the hundreds. A frightening thought, as we have seen what damage can be done with 80.

PR it must be.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4838 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:07 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:52 pm
The latest opinion poll gives something like a 33% lead to Labour over the Conservatives which apparently would give a majority in the hundreds. A frightening thought, as we have seen what damage can be done with 80.

PR it must be.
No more elected dictatorships!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4839 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:21 pm

The Truss's closing address at conference, telling the mob to get ready for the next election, should be a cracker =))

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4840 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:39 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:21 pm
The Truss's closing address at conference, telling the mob to get ready for the next election, should be a cracker =))
Maybe she should just stick to the subject of cheese! She is more cheese crackers than cracking though! =))

Bizarre speeches aside, she was also a useless environment minister!