WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#3161 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:24 pm

We, the OFSOs, agree completely that general insanity is spreading, but was it always coming or has the Great Pandemic sped it up ? Someone called Shaps, speaking on LBC this morning, was a perfect example of government lunacy.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3162 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:52 pm

BM, actually I had never heard of TW and Content is much clearer. The nonsense is warning about content that was wholly unremarkable a decade ago.

We need a new universal categorisation system as used in films. K suitable for pre-school. T suitable for teenagers. A suitable for teenagers after watching 3 T films and passing an Urban Dictionary test on an App. U for university students only if accompanied by a responsible adult.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3163 Post by Boac » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:17 pm

Bojo demonstrating the 'personal responsibility' he wants us all to show - from the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... says-no-10

He really is a complete tosser.

EDIT to add
2_PAY-PHOTO-EXCLUSIVENO-INTERNET-USAGENO-MAGAZINE-USAGENO-NEWSPAPER-PRINT-USAGE-WITHOUT-AGREEING-A-FEE.jpg

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3164 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Boac wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:17 pm
Bojo demonstrating the 'personal responsibility' he wants us all to show - from the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... says-no-10

He really is a complete tosser.
+1

A low, degraded, wretch of a man.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3165 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:32 pm

You can infect people very shortly before putting on your mask.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

It's started, the Tory shapeshifters are loose in the paddock

#3166 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:16 am

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covi ... 25897262-1

There appears to be a major issue developing here. The printed form will have an expiry date. Many people will not be able to use the smartphone NHS app. so will require the printed form, which 'runs out' after 28 days, I think. Thus many, many people will be asking for repeated issues of the printed form so they can access these places. Will the NHS and the system be able to cope?

The answer is undoubtedly 2 letters long. Mind you, there are so many false copies available on the internet now that people probably will not bother.

How is a humble bar, restaurants or nightclub going to be able to read the QR code? Has this been thought through?

Please use the same answer as above.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: It's started, the Tory shapeshifters are loose in the paddock

#3167 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:06 am

Boac wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:16 am
How is a humble bar, restaurants or nightclub going to be able to read the QR code? Has this been thought through?
I have been into a pub once since the ban early last year was lifted. I went in to buy a nip and have a piss. The staff were wearing their masks around their chins and the previous two log entries in the T&T visitors book were by Mickey Mouse and Lord Lucan. I walked out and will not be back until the infection rate in Scotland is well below 20 per 100,000 for at least 30 consecutive days.

QR codes and certificate printouts are a piece 'o pish to fake and undoubtedly it will not be long before the fakes outnumber the real thing.

Shut the goddamned pubs down and don't re-open them until the pandemic is truly under control, as per the WHO definition of 50 per 100,000. Seemples.

This time last year idiotboy Boris was bribing people with a tenner a nose to go into pub restaurants to spread the infection around a bit. Very successful policy, that one. Prat!

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3168 Post by barkingmad » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:26 am

UP wrote: "the previous two log entries in the T&T visitors book were by Mickey Mouse and Lord Lucan"

"Mickey Mouse" is a bit too obvious if the staff or manager are actually checking to see if details are reasonable.

I like my Belgian name of 'Michel Maus' and I always seem to juxtapose the digits of my phone number.

I also meet the query re scanning QR by Smartphone by stating that my old Nokia can't cope with such technology, even though my iPhone nestles in it's holster on my belt.

P S. I pose the question yet again, "WHAT IS A CASE" and "WHAT IS A CONFIRMED INFECTION", bearing in mind there has been no counter argument made to my posts on the unreliability of the "Gold Standard Probable Crap Result" test, upon which this entire fairy story hangs... :-w :-?

Here is a lively 30 mins of discussion of WTF UK, though video it is all audio so you may brush the spuds if you decide to sample it;

https://www.spiked-online.com/podcast-e ... eedom-day/

Content is: Will the neurotic middle-classes ever accept the end of lockdown? Why are schools teaching children to see race? Will it soon be a crime to draw cartoons of Muhammad? Tom Slater, Ella Whelan and Fraser Myers discuss all this and more in the first video episode of the spiked podcast.

Though the strong white thighs of young Ella would have excited Private Fraser from "Dad's Army"...?!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3169 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:43 am

Do you want to go to a vax only event?

Give me two days notice and I will post my phone to you.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3170 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:53 am

So Boris is a tosser for not wearing his mask?

In fact, the real tossers are all the bloody sheeple allowing themselves to be coerced into wearing them.

I always suspected the things were useless, but was surprised to find that c. 2015 a hospital in Colchester did a trial to gauge their effectiveness in operating theatres- probably the one place where I thought they might be useful.

This hospital simply stopped using the things for 6 months!

It made no difference at all.

Here's a link to the vid.

And here's another vid by the same guy on the perils of what I do on the rare occasion that I wear my bug-ridden cloth mask, washed once in the last year...

Forget Covid, my mask probably has Botulism or Bubonic Plague in it.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3171 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:55 am

"So Boris is a tosser for not wearing his masK"

You got it, but more importantly for telling people to do what he is not doing - nothing new there.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3172 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:23 pm

He looks and sounds a little like Wilfred Hyde White.

It is the same with handkerchiefs. A freshly laundered one is fine. A much used, unwashed rag much less so.

Clearly a disposable paper tissue is much better isn't it.

Or perhaps not. What you do with disposable paper masks and tissues is also very important. I think I have seen more discarded paper masks and more tissues than cloth masks. Though I have seen cloth masks in the street too.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3173 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:24 pm

If wearing a mask doesn't stop the spread of Covid but does prevent you catching the so-called common cold, it's worth it. I haven't had a cold this year and I don't know anyone who has. Success!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3174 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:30 pm

OFSO, you haven't read the report that colds are good for you? I think BM helpfully provided a copy and link. C was

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3175 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:39 pm

In terms of the Misery Index I'd say that the Covid I had last year, excluding after-effects, was equivalent to three really bad colds.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3176 Post by Wodrick » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:21 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:24 pm
I haven't had a cold this year and I don't know anyone who has. Success!
I have been meticulous with hand washing, gel and mask use.
I am at the end phase of a cold, the chest infection, for which I have been given antibiotics and a CV test on Monday morning.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3177 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:21 pm

OFSO at least. To say I felt like death is an exaggeration I felt absolutely nothing and remember little. Alternatively hot and cold and no interest on anything at all.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3178 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:14 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:39 pm
In terms of the Misery Index I'd say that the Covid I had last year, excluding after-effects, was equivalent to three really bad colds.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3179 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:02 pm

Despite cough and gallons of pflegm coming from my wheezy lungs I was still able to drive and visit local pharmacies and buy OTC steroids, Ventolin and the like. Having been previously vaccinated against pneumococci (?) meant that we never had the bacterial infections which took so many off. And Mrs OFSO being asthmatic, and us living up the mountain where emergencies (of every sort) always happen at the weekend meant we had cupboards bursting with medicines of every sort. Didn't stop Covid of course but excellent at treating some symptoms. Not knowing it was Covid helped!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3180 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:12 pm

OFSO, the more info you slip out the greater the similarities