WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt
Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#281 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:35 pm

I once fired a couple of mags of Pakistani 9mm at a target from 15 yards. Don't recall the weapon but it doesn't matter.

I'd put a clothesline between me and the the target and hung a damp blanket over it.

Not a single round penetrated the blanket.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#282 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:41 pm

They weren't daft were they.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#283 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Larsssnow - we did indeed have match grade 303s, with each of the better shooters always using the same rifle and responsible for it, and selected ammo. Our school cadet force RSM was the ex-RSM of the Scots Guards. Our school would regularly be in the top 10 at Bisley. We had our own school indoor .22 range and would practice at least weekly. I was not the best shot.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#284 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:05 pm

I'm not unlike you.

Years of training at our school indoor range on 303s. We also had an outdoor range.

Like you, we also shot at Bisley and my recollection is that, once, we came back with a trophy. In the attic I have a small trophy for NSBRA competition.

I still go on a range every few months and train with my M16, an Eastern European .25 and a late model M1911. Choices mostly due to availability of ammunition.

Sorry mate, been around guns and rifles since I was 9 and used them since then both on a one way range as well as a two way one. You ain't gonna get a 6 inch group at 600 yards with a Lee Enfield .303.

Change it to feet and I'm in.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#285 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:13 pm

Must have been luck, then.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#286 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:18 pm

Concur

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#287 Post by barkingmad » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Thread Drift Alert!

Calmly popping off at a firing range, where the ‘enemy’ is a painted plywood fierce looking lantern-jawed baddie, bears little relation to the quandary in which that London Plod found himself in a crowded area with his target getting six bells of sh1te kicked out of him by a brave bystander.

I appreciate this drift may have started in a previous posting of mine but fun on the range with a variety of elderly weapons is hardly relevant to the security situation currently affecting all of us in UK.

Let’s get back to the WTF topic and continue the discussion of safety catch location and slug calibres over in Military Nostalgia or similar thread?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#288 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:54 pm

It's a fair cop, and thank you.

The interesting point about the London Bridge situation is that the bystanders included a number of convicted criminals, the guy with the fire extinguisher being a murderer, and a nasty one at that. I think a relevant question is whether the average bystander now feels too uncertain about the English justice system to attempt to do anything active in a brutal situation.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#289 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:47 am

A good point well made Fox! Perhaps folks are reluctant to get involved as their perception is that they will be arrested and treated as "Guilty until proven innocent" not to mention the risk of being on the receiving end of claims for compensation for assault/injury/hurt feelings and other snowflakery.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#290 Post by barkingmad » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:02 am

As the PC brigade strengthen in western countries will we see, this winter in UK, ‘safe spaces’ being set up for any snowflakes which may unfortunately fall from the sky?
And counselling may be a requisite for those who may have had to rub up against hailstones on their journey!

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#291 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:30 am

To continue with 4ma argument people recognize more the right to followers of peace and freedom religion to attack the society rather the citizens to protect their way of life.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#292 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:55 am

That's on topic? 😀

Another problem for Joe Public is reaction time. I think this is well illustrated in popular film fiction. Baddy runs through crowds knocking people over like skittles. Goodie runs improbably close behind and also bumps in to people.

Not all runners are escaping baddies, someone might be running to catch the bus. A blood soaked knife might be a clue but one's first inclination will be flight, avoiding that knife, before deciding on fight.

If I am aware, but with wife or family, my reaction will be avoid not intervene. If I am alone and have observed enough to make a decision then my choice is try and stop or perhaps try and shout a warning.

In the latter, when implementing a bomb alert cordon, the public reaction was to go towards to see what was happening so a shouted warning would probably be a waste of breath.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#293 Post by Stoneboat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:24 pm

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#294 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:00 pm

I remember that Paki ammo from my Army days.
Our RSM said a wet greatcoat would stop it.

If he said it, was twoo..

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#295 Post by BenThere » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:28 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think carrying a 2 round derringer, .45 if able and legal, in each pocket, can come in handy in today's crazy world.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#296 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Here's how it should be, for a Nation.
Not that pc stuff, but proper pride, toughness and decent girls.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#297 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:48 pm

I think the first few lines of that Anthem, deserve repeating.

God of nations, at thy feet
In the bonds of love we meet.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#298 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:17 pm

You are right here AK.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#299 Post by barkingmad » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:28 pm

"There was a long series of court cases in Germany following the failure of the G36 to maintain accuracy after firing off a couple of mags. I think HK won bases on the fact that the design met the original spec. Problem was, if I recall, warping of the plastic when hot."

Anyone recall the expensive shambles in UK after the SA80 took over from the FN 7.62 SLR? An awful lot of dosh was poured into the sand and the snow, both conditions which apparently overcame this weapon's ability to do harm.

Allegedly it was designed as a project for the manufacturers to have a new product on the slipway (as per the Titanic) so's the privatisation of that company would proceed and earn a few pence for the Treasury. The subsequent major mods program certainly put that exercise in Private Enterprise into perspective

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#300 Post by boing » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:47 pm

BM

There were a whole lot of tests for the original 303 rifle before it was accepted into service including such horrific requirements as that it must be able to accept a drop onto the butt from 6 feet onto concrete without accidentally firing and also continue to function after sandy water had been poured into the action. They built a good one those folks did.

I once rebarrelled a 303 in 308, the standard American caliber, because of the greater selection of 308 target bullets available in the US as compared to the 303 caliber. Because the new barrel fitted in the old woodwork it was impossible to tell that I had done this and it was then a simple matter of arranging for the 308 bullet to fit into the original 303 case. I also added a few of the modifications suggested to me by Miss Parker at the old Parker gunsmithing company in Birmingham.

Wiped out the competition in several events that did. Never buy anything designed by a multi-user committee.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.