WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#1141 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:29 pm

Amazing - what dreadful condition DOES he have? An amazing breach of common-sense, as I said. Was that test accurate? Private Eye suggested BoJo should let him off for a couple of days to drive his family to Durham or somewhere. Barnard Castle is particularly pleasant at this time of year - if you can see clearly.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1142 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:37 pm

Presumably, after his Commons speech, he returned to Reading - was this by public transport? - or did he undertake a risky journey by car?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1143 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:44 pm

For admirers of Wee Nicola Krankie have a look at the reference and scroll down to the item titled “Scotland Becomes More Like North Korea Every Day”, read and digest and decide whether you’d like to emigrate to north of the Solway-Berwick line?

https://lockdownsceptics.org/page/2/

I think I’ll stay in England snd gently tolerate the HoC farce in Westminster.

ribrash

#1144 Post by ribrash » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:47 pm

People travelling on Scottish trains don't have to wear masks until they cross the border into England.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1145 Post by OFSO » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:40 pm

.....or Y-fronts, says Mrs OFSO.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1146 Post by barkingmad » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:34 am

Meanwhile, in a beautiful land, far, far away from the Westminster clown arena, their own version of Exercise Cygnus has just crawled out from under the Stone of Scone and bitten Wee Krankie in the arse;

Coronavirus: Outbreak exercise showed ‘clear gap’ in readiness https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52927462

I would like to think that those responsible for (a) Withholding these reports and (b) For not ensuring some effective action is taken in response to highlighted shortcomings-both sets of ‘civil servants’, ministers et al should be subjected to appropriate disciplinary and possibly criminal proceedings resulting from such withholding and/or suppression.
Start with immediate suspension from current employment, especially if paid from public funds followed by removal of pensions and benefits associated with their job and then we’ll look at confiscation of assets etc.
How this would concentrate minds in the future, as well as discouraging the same breed of ‘management’ from crapping on whistleblowers.
Some may think this a little harsh but remember they have been paid handsomely and long-term by the taxes provided by you and me, so somewhere I think we’re being defrauded. HMRC, are you listening to this? No!
Alternatively there’s a new ‘social-levelling’ device under proposal which would cleanse the population of these undesirables for good, but I can’t say too much at the moment.
And then I awoke (not to be confused with “woke”!) and realised it was all a dream... :((

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1147 Post by om15 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:22 am

My next door neighbour (retired school teacher, Guardian reader, leftie) greatly admires Sturgeon, he told me that he though she was a great politician, (I think he must have read that in the Guardian), he is so impressed with the messenger he has totally failed to understand the message.
She is a communist and wants to turn Scotland into a micro managed (by her) state, increase the price of booze because she wants to, lower the drink driving limits because she gets her name in the papers, interfere with fox hunting legislation in England because she is a twat, contradict the UK Government over lockdown for political purposes, it is endless, all the time she is doing this the education and public services are suffering, as is the NHS and Police Scotland, but it is what they voted for, I wonder when they will cotton on.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1148 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:19 pm

om15 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:22 am
My next door neighbour (retired school teacher, Guardian reader, leftie) greatly admires Sturgeon, he told me that he though she was a great politician, (I think he must have read that in the Guardian), he is so impressed with the messenger he has totally failed to understand the message.
She is a communist and wants to turn Scotland into a micro managed (by her) state, increase the price of booze because she wants to, lower the drink driving limits because she gets her name in the papers, interfere with fox hunting legislation in England because she is a twat, contradict the UK Government over lockdown for political purposes, it is endless, all the time she is doing this the education and public services are suffering, as is the NHS and Police Scotland, but it is what they voted for, I wonder when they will cotton on.
+1 :-bd

I just wish that more of the chiral voters in Scotland could see what a Pied Piper she is.

I also wish that the godly Janey would rip the pish outta Wee Jimmy Krankie.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1149 Post by OFSO » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:37 pm

More and more French registered cars are appearing in our road in Islington. They have bought the flats opposite. If they assume that they can do what they do in Spain and leave their cars unimported and unregistered in the UK for eternity, they are mistaken*. The Frog Range Rover has already attracted the interest of a parking warden. The Frog BMW so far, not.

* As they are neither Muslim not African.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1150 Post by Boac » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:07 pm

Around 19th June, watch for a big jump in C19 illnesses. Fools. I guess London will bear the brunt.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1151 Post by om15 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:30 pm

I just wish that more of the chiral voters in Scotland could see what a Pied Piper she is.
Poll out today draws our attention to the fact that 52% of your country men/women wish to leave the UK in order that they can live in a North Korean Utopia under Sturgeon, good luck with that.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1152 Post by Ibbie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:10 am

More duff info from the minister of a roof over your head, Jenrick. "Ban on evicting renters extended". His mob may be able to do this with shorthold tenancies, but if a renter has a "live in" landlord who owns the property, then eviction is still on the table. His ban has no effect in law.

...and Hancocks half hour was another triumph....more made up on the hoof policies without consulting the people it affects.
He would also do well to concentrate on his "Health" brief and keep out of the Brexit trade deal. The only answer there has been obvious for several years...getting rid from the negociations, by whatever means, of Barnier.

Now, after putting the quarantine regs in place to further wreck the aviation and holiday industries, Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden is suggesting that Brits stay in the UK for their holidays. Is this a joined up conspiracy?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1153 Post by Boac » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:55 am

Brits stay in the UK for their holidays
this of course, means day trips from home only at present.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1154 Post by om15 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:31 am

The Dorset coast is currently being guarded by a home guard not seen since 1940 to try to keep the infected townies away.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1155 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:34 am

om15 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:31 am
guarded by a home guard not seen since 1940 to try to keep the infected townies away.
We shall bite them on the peaches!

Capetonian

#1156 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:00 am

Correspondence between two left wing intellectuals, at opposite ends of the globe.

I do agree with most of what the Guardian reading lefty has said - let's not get too excited. It is a rare exception for me to agree with the lefty rumblings of the Guardian, but one has to know what the enemy are saying and thinking, although cogent thinking from the left is rarer, it's mostly just words.

I can't agree about Starmer though, the man is pretty sound but I abhor the politics and the evil doctrine of the left and their will to destroy the capital that those who work hard and educate their children have built up.
Hope you are both well. I hear that South Africa is still coping better than the UK with the pandemic.

Things are a mess here. I see two major problems faced by the UK.

First, we went into the Corvid-19 crisis very unprepared. We knew exactly what we needed to do following swine flu, several government exercises and reports. Also a pandemic was No1 on the government civil risk list so should have been top of any prime minister’s concerns. But 10 years of right wing ideology and government (Cameron, May and Johnson) have cutback the state, local authorities, local health boards, and the NHS, plus privatised the care sector. Also the “free market” led to all our diagnostic companies (needed to make tests) going overseas. So every tool we need to respond had been stripped bare.

Second, once the virus struck the government have handled it fairly badly due to incompetence. So they were late with lockdown, gave up on initial testing and did not quarantine all visitors, did not ramp-up nationwide testing quick enough, controlled too much from the centre, did not protect the care sector, overpromised on targets for tests, and then lost the trust of the public by defending Johnson’s advisor Domenic Cummings when he broke lockdown. So now lockdown is easing without a good testing system in place and a public who distrust the government advice. (Note that the Guardian newspaper has covered the Cummings saga very well in its “Opinion” pages which are free online).

However, to be fair the NHS has coped, the government has listened to scientists, and the Chancellor was quick to protect employment with huge sums of money. And Johnson is not as bad as Trump!

Having said that, Johnson is clearly the worst prime minister we have had in decades and entirely unsuitable for high office. Amongst all his many character faults, the virus has shown up his failure to understand detail and what is going on. He is far too superficial, out of his depth, and dependent on Domenic Cummings to do all the serious thinking, which is why he dare not get rid of him (and Cummings is not that intelligent himself). Worse still, his cabinet ministers were appointed for their right wing pro-Brexit credentials and ability to do what they are told. They are the most unskilled and inexperienced supine and spineless set of ministers for decades. And none of them are scientists with any understanding of pandemics and evidence-based decision-making (Johnson and Cummings are Classics graduates – useless!). But it does not matter as all Johnsons cares about is remaining prime minister (and he is safe for 4 years) and getting Brexit done (enabling his rich friends to make more money) which he will now do without having to pay the consequences as any economic damage due to Brexit can be blamed on the pandemic.

How I wish we had New Zealand’s brilliant leader Jacinda Ardern!

Fortunately, Sir Kier Starmer is the exact opposite of Johnson. He is dull and lacks charisma but is a serious, honest, intelligent, knowledgeable, grown up politician. He is a human rights lawyer who used to run the UK prosecution service (hence it knighthood). So he is very forensic and knows how to run a large complex organisation (which he needs to do to fix Labours problems as well as run government if eventually elected as prime minister). He is not as left wing as Corbyn so will probably shift the party back towards the centre. Importantly, he totally runs rings around Johnson in debate, showing up the latter’s superficiality, and appears a much better leader for serious times. I think he would make a good prime minister.

So the new Labour leader is a positive step.

However, what I am really concerned about are the carbon emission data. Its estimated that global CO2 emissions will decrease this year by 4 to 7% due to the pandemic. However, we need similar reductions year-on-year over several decades to stabilise global temperature. It shows just how massive a task it will be, especially as many people can’t wait to rush out and fly, drive and consume again as soon as it is safe to do so.

So all doom and gloom. But the Oban weather has been sunny and you do not have to suffer Johnson’s incompetence in South Africa!

I've been reading reports about the UK and it seems that BoJo's government is in a real mess in their handling of covit and the brexit issue. I was wondering if Labour would be any better? The new leader, Starmer, seems to be a sharp lawyer but is he a good leader of a political party and potentially of the government? It seems to me that the Tories are too right wing and Labour too leftist. The UK needs some sort of centrist government that can make sensible decisions and policies. It's unreal that 2 of the wealthiest first world countries (UK, USA) have such poor leadership at present.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#1157 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:35 am

There is one notable member of the current cabinet that has a PhD in Chemistry which rather belies the comments above.
This member is also a member of CAMRA and lists watching football as a hobby all of which add to credentials.
Any guesses as to who?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1158 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:03 pm

Now is not a good time to change horses in the middle of a fast flowing river.

Bojo is an utter twat. We all know that, but he is the only one we can depend on to deliver Brexit.

I'm looking forward to 24:00z Dec31. There will be much noise and drinking chez Plum at that time. :YMPARTY:

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1159 Post by om15 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:26 pm

I am beginning to think that the reason the UK as a whole has fared badly with the covid crisis is the care home situation here, that is not the fault of the current Government, but it is a problem that they need to address quite sharpish once this is all over.
One of the attributes required of a cabinet minister and a prime minister is to be able to speak clearly and concisely, Johnson is hopeless, might be amusing on HIGNFY but as leader of the UK he is embarrassing, I agree with Plum, once he has Brexit dealt with he needs to go. One of the problems is that he is making it easy for the enemies of the UK within the EU and Scotland to find fault. I don't accept that Starmer is the answer, he is still ambivalent about an extension to Brexit and still fronts an organisation that contain the most undesirable of politicians.

I don't accept that Britain is in a "real mess" with the Brexit negotiations, from the little we know it appears that we are being robust in preventing us from being stitched up by our enemies across the Channel.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1160 Post by barkingmad » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:34 pm

om15, a very enthusiastic +1!
Nice to know the latest negotiating strategy by the EUSSR is to state that if the UK doesn’t cave in to their demands, they will cease to make it difficult for the migrants to depart France and try for the UK coast.
Though watching NF’s videos it would appear that they’re already into that behaviour as the flow of illegals has not exactly stopped, so for what have we shelled out £61,000,000 to the Frogs?