WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#5541 Post by Woody » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:06 am

Suella Braverman celebrates new immigration bill by throwing a bag of kittens into the Thames.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5542 Post by Woody » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:21 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5543 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:23 am

The basic problem is that most people won't vote for people they don't know who aren't in a big party they know, and even more so in times of crisis. I think this is rooted in human nature, so it will be hard to fix. At the brain level, the concept of trust involves part of the pre-frontal cortex, which, as we know, mostly shuts down under stress. And we currently have a form of democracy where most people get to decide, and parties do what their financial backers want. It therefore also tends to attract to politics those who want to be rich and powerful, rather than those who are actually any good. And indeed good is a problem, in both senses, because the corrupt are easier for the backers to control, and the good in terms of competence are a problem because they show up all the others.

What's really different now, compared to historical circumstances, is that the world population and the world economy are both too large and complex for the idiocracy to either anticipate problems, or do anything other than make a bad situation worse. And the complexity means that each screw-up tends to make more crises likely to happen, the next one arrive quicker, and be worse.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5544 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:32 am

The 'OK' word now (aka must have in my vocabulary and use often) for any politician is 'unprecedented'. Much used by Tony Handcock during the lockdown saga and now by the Chancellor, the PM, the...............

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5545 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:19 am

Government by buzzword, backstabbing, back-handers, and BS.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5546 Post by Ibbie » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:33 pm

Time for the hierarch at the BBC to resign en mass.

Tis a shambles and should lose its funding via license fees. Free to air should mean exactly that.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5547 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:26 pm

It's quite interesting.
The BBC hierarchy think their commercial contract overrides Lineker's human rights, and they have said so openly.
I note the tweet was on his personal account, not anything to do with the BBC.
This is Corporatism.
Personally, I think his tweet is technically wrong, and wrong from a rhetorical angle from his own point of view, and I disagree with the thrust of his argument also.
However, he has every right to say it.
It would appear both the media and football lot agree. BBC sports radio programmes are not going out (even non-football) and the players look likely to refuse interviews.

We had a similar thing in Canada when a sports commentator on the national sport (hockey), on air, put forward a comparably controversial non-sports point of view.
However, his bit of the show was expected to include non-sports commentary, and it was on a theme he had commented on often in the past.
In this case, I think the majority of the viewers agreed with him.
He was sacked.
He was not backed by fellow presenters or players' action.
The show lost over 20% of its audience overnight, and 40% within weeks, and they have never come back.
They now don't even publish the audience stats. Estimating from similar presentations on the same sport, over half the audience has been lost from ALL programs on the sport, even the ones he had nothing to do with.
That commentator also refuses to issue a what-would-be-false apology.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#5548 Post by Smeagol » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:21 pm

I agree with almost everything that Fox 3 has said but...I do not like Mr Lineker, his views or his extortionate payments from the Beeb and will be very pleased if him or any of his mates never appear on television again.
Don't watch much football anyway but certainly don't watch the 'talking heads' before or after games or even other sporting events. I want to see the sport not the pundits.
We hates Bagginses!

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5549 Post by Woody » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:57 pm

Got to admit that it’s pure genius by the Government to get everyone so worked up about Lineker that absolutely no one has mentioned the third anniversary of the first Lockdown X(

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5550 Post by barkingmad » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:16 am

Woody wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:57 pm
Got to admit that it’s pure genius by the Government to get everyone so worked up about Lineker that absolutely no one has mentioned the third anniversary of the first Lockdown X(
And the words Matt Hancock and ‘Lockdown Files’ have subsided in the media as well.

But lest we forget, here’s a glowing tribute to the man himself who is desperately hoping the latest crop of WhatsApp juicy tidbits won’t feature the Midazolam scandal which is far more serious than the exhortation to “release the latest variant”;

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/03/11/mat ... d-himself/ :ymsick:

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5551 Post by barkingmad » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:02 pm

And now the latest plot by HMG to get everyone worked up in Project Fear Mk 95;

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/britons-sent ... 12357.html

Why does the phrase "and kiss your ass goodbye" spring immediately to mind? =))

But just in case there are any here who still actually believe what their government is telling them, free of charge I am supplying some helpful info in the event the balloon goes up, as opposed to Chinese balloons coming down;

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instan ... l?safari=1

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5552 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:32 pm

Maybe she is not quite as bad as I thought? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/s ... 99495.html

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5553 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:09 am

Somewhere I thought I saw a thread devoted to “The disgraceful BBC”, but I must have been misteaken as is often the assertion in these pages. :-?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5554 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:15 am

The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5555 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:50 am

Thanks C16, found and posted in it, I confess to another positive test for sarcasm on my part!

Despite having a fairly good ‘O’ Level pass in English Language at secondary school, I am totally baffled at this proclamation from the land of the Viet-Taff and maybe someone can help me to decode it;

“Children as young as seven might be ‘mixed berry gender fluid muffins’, Welsh teachers told” – Children as young as seven might be a “mixed berry gender fluid muffin”, teachers have been told in a sex education resource promoted by the Welsh Government, the Telegraph reports“.

I am not a Torygraph reader so the article shelters behind their paywall, but maybe that’s for the best should it remain there? ~X(

And apparently the quirky Mark Drakeford has been enviously watching the SNP shenanigans for some time now wondering which devolution/independence scam he might use to funnel even more Westminster dosh across the Wales-England border whilst separating at the same time and gaining absolute power.

And we all know what absolute power brings in it’s wake... [-X

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5556 Post by OFSO » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:31 am

Anyone else just seen the CEO of Oxfam interviewed on GMGB just now? We must no longer use words such as parents, or mother, or say "stand together" (might offend persons who can't stand) or "headquarters" or speak in English (colonial opressive language) and the headquarters (sorry) has moved to Nairobi as it's more "inclusive".

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5557 Post by Woody » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:36 am

You’ve got to admire their optimism about the new hospital =)) =))

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64986948

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5558 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:27 pm

OFSO wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:31 am
Anyone else just seen the CEO of Oxfam interviewed on GMGB just now? We must no longer use words such as parents, or mother, or say "stand together" (might offend persons who can't stand) or "headquarters" or speak in English (colonial opressive language) and the headquarters (sorry) has moved to Nairobi as it's more "inclusive".
Oxfam is another one of those organisations who deserve the Snake Island salute.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5559 Post by Woody » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:00 am

Everyone ordered their popcorn for Wednesday, it’s going to be a long one B-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65001385

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in UK Politics & the HoC?!

#5560 Post by barkingmad » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:03 pm

Further to the Andrew Bridgen controversy, here are a couple of vids of UK “democracy” in action, or more likely, UK “democracy” inaction;

Obviously something VERY wrong is happening and I await with interest what the HoC Speaker, the Sergeant-at-Arms and the much touted but delayed and emasculated “Covid19 Inquiry” will make of this;

No, they can’t run nor can they hide and what steps are YOU UK electors going to take once you’ve digested this sickening farce from our elected chamber of ‘democracy’, a k a “The Mother of Parliaments”? ! ? :ymsick:

The whispers on the street allege that it was another Andrew ***** MP, who appears to circulate in the HoC chamber encouraging stragglers to evacuate, but “you might think that, I couldn’t possibly comment”. ~X(