A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#641 Post by barkingmad » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 am

Meanwhile, back to the policing and publicity of the pan(dem)ic in the UK;

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... s-18028561

I don’t recall this one being splashed all over the e-MSM screens as was the gathering in the London park.

But good to see a Labour MP supporting the event and the numbers present.

Is this because it might be too sensitive, in a Rochdale, Rotherham and Oxford type sense?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#642 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:27 am

BM, it was clearly acceptable as they were in family groups and the groups observing safe distance rules.

Besides they were Muslims.

FFS, can,t the buggers count? Who would dare to take each group and confirmed they all lived in the same council house?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#643 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:01 pm

'Clap for the Prime Minister' tonight! Seems a bit unfair to make his condition worse?.............

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#644 Post by barkingmad » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:52 am

Boac wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:01 pm
'Clap for the Prime Minister' tonight! Seems a bit unfair to make his condition worse?.............
Allegedly Hillary Clinton quipped about her husband “He’s a hard dog to keep on the porch!” Possibly BoJo has already been tested repeatedly due to his previous nomadic behaviour?

Which reminds me, I’m due a rabies test when all this plague bother is finished...

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#645 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Some good news for a change.

That vile creature who said Boris deserves to catch the virus has now been sacked from the law firm where she was employed.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#646 Post by barkingmad » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:33 pm

One would like to think that after some high-profile foulups by UK Plod in recent weeks that they would have adopted a more cautious and reasoned approach to the task of upholding the LAW in the country at large?
But it appears the Chief Constables are incapable of adequately briefing their bobbies on the beat as to what is LAW.
As Jeff says so eloquently, why is the UK taxpayer funding Police & Crime Commissioners if the running of the service attracts so much by way of criticism and downright calling out of overstepping their mark?

Elsewhere in O-N someone asked do we already have a police state in the UK. Well here it is, classic examples of the Mr 'Odges, the ARP Warden in "Dads' Army, now on the loose in the 21st Century.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#647 Post by barkingmad » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:02 am

NHS boss: 'I need gowns, can I call Burberry?' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52319576

Presumably the top-dog medical staff will get the Burberry, lower ranks will get the Barbours and the junior staff will revert to binbags?

What is the future for Matt Hancock after the Covid-19 dust has settled and been buried in landfill? Maybe he’ll follow it...

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#648 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:10 am

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#649 Post by BenThere » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:29 am

Perhaps this is off topic, but I have been taking this course in self-defense.

The link is an advert and they want to sell their program. But I bought it and so far I think it is very well done and worthwhile, even if you can't arm yourself where you live (although you really can if you know where to look).

I'm only about 10% into it but I've found it enlightening, in fact changing my views on how I would respond to a life-threatening attack. I recognize that not all of us have the Freedom to access all the tools, like arming, but maybe you might be motivated to agitate for changing that. For me that would be double plus good. I love the idea of Brits protecting hearth and home. The vision of Brits cowering in their homes, neighborhoods and city centers deteriorating into squalor, distresses me. At least where I live around the violent Detroit metro, I have the right to be armed, and hope to give them a fight if and when they come to my front door.

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

#650 Post by Nick Riviera » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:05 am

barkingmad wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:02 am
NHS boss: 'I need gowns, can I call Burberry?' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52319576

Presumably the top-dog medical staff will get the Burberry, lower ranks will get the Barbours and the junior staff will revert to binbags?

What is the future for Matt Hancock after the Covid-19 dust has settled and been buried in landfill? Maybe he’ll follow it...
Usual complete bollocks from the BBC which has now been retracted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52333540

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#651 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:59 am

Ben, no link, but on TV there was a short series with David Jason' Secret Service (Only fools . . . ) but this was a serious one delivered with a light touch.

One I remember was disarming a man with a pistol at your back. For I right handed assailant I think you might instinctively turn left. He was taught to turn right. Turning right he then took hold of the gun. It was quite impressive.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#652 Post by barkingmad » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:53 am

Good old Hitchens, saying it like it is! A controversial take on where UK and other countries’ citizens find themselves today.
I confess to being one of those who suspects the “cure” may be found to be worse than the “disease”. Play it, tolerate the medium quality audio and there are quite a few discussion points lurking in there to liven up the lunchtime G&T or the Martinis or the glasses of fine Bordeaux which had better be consumed by their owners before too late.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#653 Post by Woody » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:05 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#654 Post by barkingmad » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:15 pm

Amidst this sudden love affair between the politicians and the public with the NHS, spare some time to look at how much money allocated to the Service is being wasted at a very high level on predatory and expensive management consultancy companies who act like a cancerous debilitating growth buried deep in the bowels of our NHS.
When the Covid-19 dust starts to settle and the people and politicians have to face up to the increased taxation required to bring the Service up to some sort of nebulous not yet specified standard, that will be the time when all the recent outpouring of emotion towards the coal face staff will be truly tested.
I do wish the positive emotions being expressed towards the workers would exclude the ‘NHS’ logo and the organisation and it’s (mis)management and be more clearly directed at the current workforce of heroes/heroines and supporting staff.
If your budget permits, the following work, published a mere 14 years ago, will lay out where an awful lot of the monies, being bragged about by both Labour and Tory politicians, are STILL being wasted in eye-watering amounts and try and decide what we the electorate can and might do to stop the scandal.

Further information regarding the immoral practice of management consulting is adequately described in Craig’s book “Rip-Off” which is still available in some formats, as are the other books in a similar vein by this little-known author.

Capetonian

#655 Post by Capetonian » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:19 pm

the immoral practice of management consulting
One of the great scams of our time. An evil cult of brainwashing the gullible into paying huge sums of money for some arsehole to write the bloody obvious. Consultancies are the kiss of death for many companies that engage them.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#656 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:19 pm
the immoral practice of management consulting
One of the great scams of our time. An evil cult of brainwashing the gullible into paying huge sums of money for some arsehole to write the bloody obvious. Consultancies are the kiss of death for many companies that engage them.
We were taken over by Army. Now the MoD published a goidr, comprehensive environmental and safety management tome. We were to use this to write our own risk assessments. It was clearly a CYA arrangement I would have been prepared to justify my self at an enquiry but no we needed a box ticked.

A company was contracted and two people came, one a bright academic and the other, surprise surprise, a retired colonel. The bright one did all the writing but identified our nearby town as a hamlet. Misplaced our location by a few miles, but did fill out tables.

We then discovered they had done no more than reprint the MoD JSP from portrait to landscape. It sat on the shelf unopened.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#657 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:53 pm

BM wrote:the following work,
where did you find that invisible font on your 'puta, BM? :-h

I appreciate you are trying to shelter from the thought police, but...............

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#658 Post by barkingmad » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:49 pm

boac, which post & where? I’ve been somewhat loquacious recently and unable to find your ‘font’ phrase in it’s context...?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#659 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:28 pm

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#660 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:34 pm

Should have gone to Spec Saver, oh I forgot they're shut.