A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#5321 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:02 am

4mastacker wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:03 am
....and in addition we have the MSM sensationalising things. This time it's an alleged shortage of hen's eggs generating another bout of panic buying. At least I've got a year's supply of bog rolls up in the loft. ;)))
Better get my reorder in, I am down to my last 3 dozen

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5322 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:48 am

Not "alleged". Fact - there is a shortage. Obvious in many areas in the UK. Multiple factors involved here. This sums up the issues succinctly. Of course, panic buying just exacerbates the issue.
Brits may struggle to buy eggs this winter as a result of rising costs and avian flu.

Customers at supermarkets including Sainsbury’s and Tesco are reporting empty shelves (though both brands insisted there is sufficient availability for now.) Meanwhile Asda and Lidl are limiting the number of boxes customers can buy in some branches, due to shortages.

The pub company Wetherspoons is serving full English breakfasts without eggs in some cases (but they’re offering alternative items such as hash browns, sausage or onion rings where eggs aren’t available).

The avian flu outbreak could mean we will see an egg shortage during the festive season, The British Free Range Egg Producers Association (BFREPA) says.

They’ve also said a third of hen farmers have either “reduced their flock sizes, paused production temporarily or left the industry altogether”.

The costs of feeding the hens has gone up by around 50% and the price of fuel has increased by 30%, they say. Though the price of eggs has gone up by approximately 45p across all major supermarkets, this extra money isn’t necessarily being extended on to farmers.

As a result, people online have started to notice the egg shortage in local supermarkets.

“Some poultry producers have been facing skyrocketing energy and feed costs for months now, as well as increases in other input costs including fuel, labour and packaging which are all adding to the overall costs of production on farm,” the National Farmers Union (NFU) poultry board chair James Mottershead said.

“We are exploring all avenues to ensure farmers have the confidence they need to continue supplying British eggs to meet demand from shoppers.”
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 18be47a679
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5323 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:34 pm

One of me canal colleagues picked up two full trays of eggs from a farm next to me canal today. Not a Sainsburys, Tesco or Asda in sight.

Sometimes living in a rural area has its advantages.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5324 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:09 pm

Lidl yesterday had 6 eggs. Two of those were broken.

Omlette for breakfast.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5325 Post by OFSO » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:15 pm

Big ones missing here also. No announcement but doubtless avian flu. Or delivery drivers strike. Or missing staff.....

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5326 Post by barkingmad » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:15 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:15 pm
Big ones missing here also. No announcement but doubtless avian flu. Or delivery drivers strike. Or missing staff.....
Or evidence that the Great Reset scheme, along with the depopulation agenda, is proceeding as planned?! ~X(

But we mustn’t talk about that as we’re not supposed to notice such distractions as we snuffle around in our face nappies, recirculating our own homemade fungal growths and regularly swabbing our, hopefully respiratory orifices, to ensure we’re not about to kill granny by being ‘asymptomatic’.

But rest assured, soon the sunlit uplands’ days will arrive when we will once more be able to buy our ration of eggs as we use our CBDC cards, providing we’ve been good girls and boys and done whatever we’ve been told to do and to say what we’re supposed to say and to think, as sensed by the microchips which Klaus Von KnobSchwab is on video record as proposing we will have implanted in our crania for the Bright New Dawn of Transhumanism. :-w

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5327 Post by Woody » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:19 pm

But rest assured, soon the sunlit uplands’ days will arrive when we will once more be able to buy our ration of eggs as we use our CBDC cards, providing we’ve been good girls and boys and done whatever we’ve been told to do and to say what we’re supposed to say and to think, as sensed by the microchips which Klaus Von KnobSchwab is on video record as proposing we will have implanted in our crania for the Bright New Dawn of Transhumanism.
Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean that they’re out to get you :-o
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5328 Post by OFSO » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:33 pm

Although they are.....

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5329 Post by barkingmad » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:38 pm

Woody wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:19 pm
But rest assured, soon the sunlit uplands’ days will arrive when we will once more be able to buy our ration of eggs as we use our CBDC cards, providing we’ve been good girls and boys and done whatever we’ve been told to do and to say what we’re supposed to say and to think, as sensed by the microchips which Klaus Von KnobSchwab is on video record as proposing we will have implanted in our crania for the Bright New Dawn of Transhumanism.
Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean that they’re out to get you :-o

As it’s on YouTube then it must be true?! And I thought I am BarkingMad, what concerns me now is others far surpass my delusions! :((

And if that’s not good enough for you he’s got Ursula Fond Of Lying’s troops on board as well;

https://freewestmedia.com/2022/01/25/kl ... itization/

Luckily I believe my brain already has an AV program active so’s I don’t get infected with this dross!

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5330 Post by Woody » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:32 pm

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#5331 Post by jimtherev » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:54 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:15 pm
Big ones [eggs] missing here also. No announcement but doubtless avian flu. Or delivery drivers strike. Or missing staff.....
...or it could be that five days ago someone on some news programme somewhere mentioned he hadn't had an egg with his 'Spoons breakfast, whereupon every idiot under the Sun (or the Mail) went out and bought twice the amount he normally bought.
They will now have just enough space now that they have used a few hoarded toilet rolls

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5332 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:15 pm

If you panic, and the event doesn't happen, you can look like an idiot.

If you don't panic, and the event happens, you ARE an idiot.

Often these days, as Jim has pointed out, the general panic can actually cause the event.

In which case it pays to panic early. ;)))

Remember that general inflation is high. You will save money by buying now and consuming later.
Note that certain products may depend on particular base commodities, and on certain countries for supply.
One example is ABS plastics - black Drain, Waste, and Vent pipe has been very difficult to source for over a year now.

If a particular good has a long shelf life (like toilet rolls, but not eggs), and you have the storage space, and you have the money, buy it.
Do not buy more than you will eventually use, although having some extra to donate to friends can be very handy.
Overall, try to keep a balance of goods, ideally to maximise the time till you next need to shop.
In other words, keep X months of supply for all consumables.
This has the benefit of minimising transport costs to buy more, especially if gasoline becomes one of the problem goods.
If you have particular projects in mind, it may pay to buy certain parts/tools now.

But also remember that other parts and equipment may end up cheaper.
I got ahead of the game two years ago and bought all the ABS piping I needed for renovation works.
I'd got the nod from a professional plumber that it was disappearing fast, and why.
But I did not buy the corresponding plumbing fittings, like taps and shower controls.
Why? Because if there's no waste pipe, plumbers won't be buying the sinks and taps, because they fit the whole thing at one time.
A year later, there was a glut of taps and shower controls. Discounts of 40%-50% appeared just to clear the space. THEN I bought my taps.

But whatever you buy in advance, Don't Tell Anyone!

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#5333 Post by jimtherev » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:36 pm

...But whatever you buy in advance, Don't Tell Anyone!...
... because you can guarantee that sometimes you'll get it wrong.

(Once a month or thereabouts, Mrs Jim asks me 'what are those 4 packages on your desk?'
'20v DC powersupplies, dearest.'
'Oh, did you tell me about them before??'
<sigh>)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5334 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:46 pm

That is indeed one reason!
p.s. leaving them on desks most definitely counts as Telling Someone ;)

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5335 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:05 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:46 pm
That is indeed one reason!
p.s. leaving them on desks most definitely counts as Telling Someone ;)
Living in Novia Scotia, or wherever you live, gives you no more right to proclaim on the UK, than I have to proclaim on Pretoria. =))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5336 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:10 am

I agree. I wasn't aware I was proclaiming.....

I certainly haven't walked 500 miles :))

The advice given is applicable worldwide.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5337 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:02 am

Petrol Shortage (there, done it)

On Saturday the Daily Telegraph said how the more expensive E5 petrol could give you improved consumption of up to 12% better mileage.

My local Shell station was sold out of E5.
Another that I use on a journey was sold out of E5 on several pumps.

However

My local was out of E5 and diesel before Saturday and the other was also out of diesel and E10 on some pumps 😅

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5338 Post by Woody » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:07 pm

Obviously doesn’t understand irony :o)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63714944

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5339 Post by barkingmad » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:00 pm

Does anyone know of a reputable whitewash supply company whose shares may be worth buying in these febrile days?

https://web.archive.org/web/20221120062 ... -mps-warn/

Gold seems to be lurching out of my reach at present but after my Premium Bond cheques this month I'd like to put them to good use! :))

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Lady Décolletage!

#5340 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:26 pm

I hesitate to post this as it might push barkingmad into face covering apoplexy, but it boils my piss as well to be honest!

Decollet.JPG
Decollet.JPG (61.7 KiB) Viewed 454 times
The Conservative peer Michelle Mone and her children secretly received £29m originating from the profits of a PPE business that was awarded large government contracts after she recommended it to ministers, documents seen by the Guardian indicate.

Lady Mone’s support helped the company, PPE Medpro, secure a place in a “VIP lane” the government used during the coronavirus pandemic to prioritise companies that had political connections. It then secured contracts worth more than £200m.

Documents seen by the Guardian indicate tens of millions of pounds of PPE Medpro’s profits were later transferred to a secret offshore trust of which Mone and her adult children were the beneficiaries.

Asked by the Guardian last year why Mone did not include PPE Medpro in her House of Lords register of financial interests, her lawyer replied: “Baroness Mone did not declare any interest as she did not benefit financially and was not connected to PPE Medpro in any capacity.”

The leaked documents, which were produced by the bank HSBC, appear to contradict that statement. They state that Mone’s husband, the Isle of Man-based financier Douglas Barrowman, was paid at least £65m in profits from PPE Medpro, and then distributed the funds through a series of offshore accounts, trusts and companies.

The ultimate recipients of the funds, the documents indicate, include the Isle of Man trust that was set up to benefit Mone, who was Barrowman’s fiancee at the time, and her children. In October 2020, the documents add, Barrowman transferred to the trust £28.8m originating from PPE Medpro profits.

That was just five months after Mone helped PPE Medpro secure contracts to supply masks and sterile gowns for use in the NHS.

Contacted about the new disclosures, HSBC said it was unable to comment, even to confirm if the couple had been clients. A lawyer for Mone said: “There are a number of reasons why our client cannot comment on these issues and she is under no duty to do so.”

A lawyer who represents both Barrowman and PPE Medpro said that an ongoing investigation limited what his clients were able to say on these matters. He added: “For the time being we are also instructed to say that there is much inaccuracy in the portrayal of the alleged ‘facts’ and a number of them are completely wrong.”

Mone, 51, and Barrowman, 57, have over the last two years repeatedly insisted they had no “involvement” in PPE Medpro, and “no role” in the process through which the company was awarded its government contracts. PPE Medpro has repeatedly refused to identify its mystery backers, but denied it was awarded contracts because of “company or personal connections” to the UK government or Conservative party.

The Guardian has previously reported how those claims seem to be at odds with documents appearing to show the couple were secretly involved in PPE Medpro’s business, and emails suggesting Mone repeatedly lobbied the government on its behalf during the nine month period after she helped secure its place in the VIP lane.

However, the Guardian’s latest revelation – that the peer and her husband secretly amassed an offshore fortune on the back of PPE Medpro profits – could prove the most consequential for Mone, who has already been placed under investigation by the House of Lords commissioner for standards.

Separately, PPE Medpro has become the subject of a potential fraud investigation by the National Crime Agency. In April this year, NCA officers searched several addresses, including the mansion Mone and Barrowman occupy in the Isle of Man. At the time, lawyers for PPE Medpro declined to comment on the NCA investigation.

The controversy over Mone and PPE Medpro threatens to embroil the prime minister, Rishi Sunak, who has pledged to make “integrity and accountability” pillars of his leadership. David Cameron, who was himself embroiled in a lobbying scandal last year, was the Conservative leader who appointed Mone the Baroness of Mayfair in 2015. The former owner of a lingerie business, she has proven to be one of the party’s most high-profile and controversial peers.
Read the rest of this sorry tale here.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... e-ppe-firm