WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#561 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:41 am

FD2, Spain is not alone. Mrs PN was in a private clinic in Cyprus. We didn't realise that only medical care was provided. A family visiting a patient in the next bed brought her water.

Her bedding was changed frequently and the consultant visited several times per day, but no food or water was offered. In contrast the NHS treats all pastoral provision as part of the care package.

That said, when Mrs PN was in for a few days I took meals in to get liking rather than hospital fare.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#562 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:55 pm

Spain: went to my GP who only takes private patients, diagnosis bones out of place in neck, just to be sure he called local hospital, got me an MRI scan booked for 90 minutes later. I had to drive fast, found parking, whizzed into the scanner ahead of hapless non-private patients. Paid hospital €300, drove back with results in hand to doctor, nothing found. Paid doctor €130.

And that, dear friends, is how it works in Spain. If British patients were prepared to pay cash on the spot, no doubt the NHS would be as fast.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#563 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:01 pm

Spain has a tradition of family members going into hospital with the patient. Our cleaner there is acting as carer to an expat having treatment. The expat has no family to help him, hard to understand for Spanish hospital staff. Where's his wife? Where are his children ? Sadly like most expats his family don't give a tinker's cuss, although no doubt when he snuffs it they'll turn up for the reading of the LW and T.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#564 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:53 pm

OFSO, indeed. When rich we had BUPA for Mrs PN. The professor met us in reception. I was served salmon sandwiches whilst I waited for Mrs PN to recover from the anaesthetic. Last year, this time through Benenden as the NHS exceeded the 18 week wait, again private and again treated right royally. To soften the blow, Benenden Best Health (also BUPA) pay an additional £40/day expenses in hospital.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#565 Post by Wodrick » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:00 pm

When SM was hospitalised recently, Spanish NHS, the room had two beds both occupied by patients, there was nowhere for any family to stay just a chair. She was fed three meals a day too and said the food was quite reasonable. Both her fellow occupants were Spanish.
I expect this is a further example of different health authorities in different regions being, well, different.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#566 Post by barkingmad » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:07 pm

Re: WTF is happening in the UK? So WTF is happening in the UK?
Or have I drifted into the Chaos in Spain thread?
Help me get outa here please?!?!?!?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#567 Post by FD2 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Ola!
Back to the UK - I see a 'top mandarin' is saying (no doubt non-attributable) that his fellow senior mandarins have been briefing and doing their best to unseat Patel, having achieved their ends with Rudd. The latest being the so-called 'leak' that Patel had lost the confidence of MI5, which caused MI5 to take the unusual step of issuing a public denial. What a writhing nest of vipers the top civil servants are. I hope that BJ carries on supporting her and orders an enquiry into the behaviour of the top uncivil servants. How we used to innocently laugh at the schemes of Sir Humphrey, little thinking...

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#568 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:54 pm

I ordered the script extracts of Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister in book form. Utterly brilliant. From my own encounters, so true to life.

I received a letter last week from a department of HMRC, so mendacious, so toe-curlingly deceptive, so absolving the Department of all responsibility, that I had to put myself in Sir Humphreys place before penning a reply.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#569 Post by barkingmad » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:56 am

I have both the original books and the original VHS tapes of the series. I intend to watch the tapes on my CRT TV just as soon as I can fire up the boiler to get enough steam to run the generator to power the VCR.

Ah, just realised my wood stocks may be exceeding the 20% moisture limit.

So I’ll delay that pleasure until either (a) the stocks have air-dried in the long hot summer we’re expecting or (b) I will perform the task at night when the smoke will be invisible and the open fire Stasi are safely cooped up at home at the end of their shift patrol.

Thanks for reminding me of the “mendacious” word! I’d forgotten that one was out there and suspect we’ll see a lot more of it in the near future?

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#570 Post by k3k3 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:01 pm

I was once driven to exasperation by a lying American boss once so I set his scrolling screensaver to "Driven by audacious mendacity", it stayed on there for a few days until he looked it up in a dictionary.

Good job he didn't know who'd done it!

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#571 Post by barkingmad » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:23 pm

I’ve just returned to reality after a Google journey into a very wierd search rabbit hole!
Having recalled seeing the phrase “frivolous and mendacious” mentioned in relation to legal cases, I thought I’d better refresh my memory of its definition.
On scrolling through the various options presented by this popular search Injun, I was flummoxed (another good word for research!) to fall across references such as this;

https://brill.com/view/book/97890474227 ... 60_005.xml

After which I decided not to pursue this line of enquiry!

And prior to this I was under the impression the phrase referred to legal actions initiated “for the helluvit”?

This is a warning to all of us who go ferretting for “knowledge snd information” in the www world of wierd.

Darkened room is beckoning and I never did find what I was seeking.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#572 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:39 pm

It's a great story, BM and well worth reading, but your search engine technique appears to be a little awry.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#573 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:13 pm

I have heard that gourds were not necessary, especially in La Linea in the 60s.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#574 Post by barkingmad » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:20 pm

boac, edjicate me pls!
‘Twas a simple entry into Google titled “legal phrase ‘frivolous and mendacious’ definition” and that item caught my eye for whatever reason.
But the rest of the options were equally as random and disconnected.....
So maybe my ‘technique’ is faulty but I admit the results were entertaining.
And no, I have not ordered the ‘slave girl & donkey’ tome for rapid delivery on Amazoom Prime!!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#575 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:36 pm

that item caught my eye for whatever reason.
say no more, nudge nudge wink wink :-)

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#576 Post by barkingmad » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:26 pm

Meanwhile, back in a darker world than Covid-19, I tripped across this horrifying story which might explain why the much-awaited official report on the topic is being witheld for reasons unknown;

There were rumours that Priti Patel was leaning on the Civil Service to release the report resulting in the much publicised recent spat ‘twixt her and the senior bod who resigned.

If even only a fraction of this man’s testimony is true it’s a shocking indictment on UK Plod and therefore unsurprising he and his family are under threat.

Health Warning: I’m not familiar with the organisation which some are claiming is a hoax setup but then those who feel threatened by such ‘evidence’ will do their level best to discredit this information.

It’s all very mysterious and potentially scandalous. [-X

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#577 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:53 am

The NHS is the original "Sacred Cow".
It's useless.
In India, of all places.......a very few years ago, I needed a battery of tests done. Rocked up at a hospital, with no appointment, did all the tests (about 30 included stress ECG) by lunchtime. Results the following day.

Cost about 50 GBP.

Try that in the UK!

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#578 Post by Jetex Jim » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:19 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:53 am
The NHS is the original "Sacred Cow".
It's useless.
In India, of all places.......a very few years ago, I needed a battery of tests done. Rocked up at a hospital, with no appointment, did all the tests (about 30 included stress ECG) by lunchtime. Results the following day.

Cost about 50 GBP.

Try that in the UK!
Great stuff AK.

You are already rolling out your response to the increasing numbers of UK COVID-19 deaths?
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#579 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 am

No Jetex.
Just sharing my experience of using Indias health service.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#580 Post by Jetex Jim » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:39 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 am
No Jetex.
Just sharing my experience of using Indias health service.
Of course you were -- while simultaneously taking a pop at the NHS.

But I admire your foresight in preparing a position should it be necessary to rationalise the UK death rate when not able to deploy the, "well what do you expect from the Dagos and Spicks?" argument.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.