WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#581 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:48 am

Ok Jetex.
Here another pop at the NHS then- the nearest thing to a sacred cow we have in the UK.
1. It's bloody slow. Compare the example I set out above in India, to how it would take for the same in the U.K.. a morning v. about six months!
2. It's bloody slow. I got a BCC removed in India in a week. The waiting list in the U.K. Is probably at least a year. Is that good for health?
3. It's super expensive. I was paying 400 GBP a month in National Insurance (straight into the UK tax take) as an admittedly higher paid PAYE contributor.
4. Standards of practice in the NHS are piss poor. Bugs, food standards, folk dieing in hospital due dehydration etc.

Now, having said that- it's all we've got. But it's gigantically inefficient, too slow, too expensive and a beaurocratic nightmare.

Apart from these points, it could hardly be improved upon.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#582 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 am

BM - post #576 - what happened to the hearing? Is Weger still alive? Quite horrendous as portrayed. What does the ITNJ actually do?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#583 Post by ian16th » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:19 pm

When SM & I were considering moving back to the UK, one the main reasons NOT to return was the level of medical care that we could expect from the NHS.
Cynicism improves with age

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#584 Post by Jetex Jim » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:28 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:48 am
3. It's super expensive. I was paying 400 GBP a month in National Insurance (straight into the UK tax take) as an admittedly higher paid PAYE contributor.
A non-sequitur, I cannot speak for the rest of your anecdotal evidence, NI is a contribution largely towards the state pension. From the NHS website.
The NHS is largely funded from general taxation, with a small amount being contributed by National Insurance payments and from fees levied in accordance with recent changes in the Immigration Act 2014.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#585 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Yes Jetex.
My bad.
The NHS is so good, and represents such excellent value for money- that improvement is impossible.
In fact the way it is run, is an example of absolute excellence.

No criticism will be permitted, as it's all unjustified....

Happy? 8-|

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#586 Post by barkingmad » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:29 pm

Boac wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 am
BM - post #576 - what happened to the hearing? Is Weger still alive? Quite horrendous as portrayed. What does the ITNJ actually do?
Answer is, dunno. You can look up on the web about the ITNJ and learn as much as me. Seems a lot of folks are out to bad mouth them all.

Rewind the timeline by six years from now and here's another one;

Now forwards to last year and here's some more from Wedger;

A very quick summary of AV9 is in the immediate comment under the video window.

There appears to be something very putrid going on down this particular stinking rabbit hole, don't be surprised if local plod come calling as a result of web searches?

Interesting to note the numbers of police leaving particular various forces in the UK, another statistic I bumped into whilst travelling this disturbing road.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#587 Post by llondel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:31 pm

There's always room for improvement. I'd like to see a detailed justification for the layers of bureaucracy that eat up NHS funding. Keeping accurate records is important, but they do seem to have an awful lot of admin staff.

I'm in the opposite situation at the moment, I get to experience US healthcare, which is great for those who can afford it, but dire for those who cannot. the NHS is great from that perspective because emergency and urgent stuff is normally seen pretty fast, and waiting six months for a non-urgent op is still better than waiting forever if you haven't got the money. Current local tale of a 17yr old who was refused admission to a hospital because he didn't have insurance, and by the time he'd been driven to the 'free' one that would see him, he was dead.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#588 Post by ian16th » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:58 pm

The last GP that I had in the UK, told me that the NHS was the best First Aid service in the world!

I'd had a muscular spasm that I thought might have been heart trouble, and when he said he was putting me into hospital for monitoring, I told him that I had BUPA through my work. He told me that in my case it would buy me nothing, and made the above comment.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#589 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:26 pm

BM wrote: don't be surprised if local plod come calling as a result of web searches?
I've given them plenty of cause this evening - I will post again from prison. :))

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#590 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:41 am

Current local tale of a 17yr old who was refused admission to a hospital because he didn't have insurance, and by the time he'd been driven to the 'free' one that would see him, he was dead.
Just a thought bubble from an Aussie who knows SFA about the Health system in the UK, but could the above quoted scenario lead to Legal action by the Parents of the 17yr old? :-\
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Capetonian

#591 Post by Capetonian » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:19 am

Talking of web searches, a friend who was planning to book flights (remember those days?) rang me to ask me if I knew when the school holidays were. I said I'd no idea but why didn't he look it up on the internet.
He said he was afraid in case his web searches were 'monitored' and the authorities might think he was a paedophile!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#592 Post by ian16th » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:06 am

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:41 am
Current local tale of a 17yr old who was refused admission to a hospital because he didn't have insurance, and by the time he'd been driven to the 'free' one that would see him, he was dead.
Just a thought bubble from an Aussie who knows SFA about the Health system in the UK, but could the above quoted scenario lead to Legal action by the Parents of the 17yr old? :-\
llondel is resident in the Land of the Free, not the UK.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#593 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:24 am

I visited several hospitals in India. It was interesting. At Velore, I think the largest teaching hospital in that state, the private wing was secluded and had a garden court yard. The main hospital was as crowded as only India can crowd. The Filipino nurses were immaculate is starched whites with white tights and white shoes. In contrast the Indian auxiliaries were dressed in less formal garb like the NHS. I also visited an eye hospital run by Rotary. Another hospital being built by Rotary with the maternity ward in use while the plaster dried out. And another with a burns unit. They showed us around but they shouldn't as we were not sterile. And another where we had to remove our door shoes and wear slip one before entering the sterile area. Inside there was a hole in the wall with dust etc.

Nothing we saw came near to the private hospitals in UK. Nothing came close to matching the PFI hospital in Peterborough. Even our run down and dismal facility in Grantham was better than their general hospital.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#594 Post by 1DC » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:33 pm

I had cause to see a Doctor in Oz and he told me that in his opinion and experience the British NHS was much better than that in Oz.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#595 Post by barkingmad » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:36 pm

Back to WTF UK. Remember the last time a UK prime minister wrote to us all?

A very fair snippet Jeff and food for thought, though maybe food will end up in short supply. The prospect of absolute powers being given up by any government is a distant dream but we have to hope “things will return to normal”, whatever that will mean with so many businesses disappearing off the horizon.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#596 Post by Boac » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:29 pm

A good presentation by 'Lester'. Regarding the 'absolute powers', I think the populace will sort that out if necessary.

PS THOUGHT!! If Boris licked the envelope to seal it, is if safe to open?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#597 Post by barkingmad » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:46 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:29 pm
A good presentation by 'Lester'. Regarding the 'absolute powers', I think the populace will sort that out if necessary.

PS THOUGHT!! If Boris licked the envelope to seal it, is if safe to open?
You’re not paying attention, boac! If you have an attack dog like Dom Cummings on the leash (just), do you lick yer own stamps? I very much doubt it!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#598 Post by Boac » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:57 pm

Ah - but does Dom lick Boris?

Seenenough

#599 Post by Seenenough » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:29 pm
As I suggested Bo ,you might want to spend a bit more time worrying about what is happening in your own back yard.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#600 Post by Boac » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:58 pm

Go lie down, Seen - you are freaking out.