WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#4581 Post by FD2 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:58 am

The French never help the situation do they? Still smarting over Brexit, perhaps, or just the usual awkward squad stuff?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-62273523

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4582 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:36 am

Read Mel Brook's autobiography, description of border officials when crossing the French/Italian border at Ventimiglia. They don't change......

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4583 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:51 am

The latest broadcast from the leadership contest

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4584 Post by Woody » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:23 am

I’m not sure that this is all of them :-o

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/24/a-look-b ... ouktwitter
When all else fails, read the instructions.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4585 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:43 pm

More than enough, though!

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4586 Post by Boac » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:02 pm

Yet at least 10,000 Tory voters appear to want him back?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... 1658771424

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4587 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:05 pm

A petition to allow a vote on Boris Johnson’s resignation has passed 10,000 votes from Conservative members.
It has been organised by Tory peer Lord Cruddas and former MEP David Campbell-Bannerman.
Lord Cruddas said: “The ousting of Boris Johnson as Prime Minister by a minority of MPs is deeply anti-democratic.
“It defies the will of the country and the Conservative Party members who elected him.
“It amounts to a coup. I am ashamed this can happen in Britain, the birthplace of modern democracy.
Mr Johnson is also said to have sat down with Lord Cruddas of Shoreditch at Chequers on Friday.
And, the Telegraph reports that Mr Johnson "does not want to resign" as Prime Minister and wishes he could "wipe away" his departure.
The pair allegedly discussed the “bring back Boris” campaign for a second vote among the party's grassroots to confirm whether they think Mr Johnson should have to resign.
Lord Cruddas said Mr Johnson told him he was "enjoying following" the peer's petition and said he "wants to fight the next general election as leader of the Conservative Party".
He also told the newspaper: "There was no ambiguity in Boris’s views. He definitely does not want to resign.
"He wants to carry on and he believes that, with the membership behind him, he can."

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4588 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:22 am

If one ever needed reminding that Lizz Truss is a blithering idiot.
Liz Truss wants to impose targets on police to cut murders by one fifth if she becomes prime minister under a policy lambasted as “incoherent”.

The Tory leadership candidate told forces she would expect them to cut homicide, serious violence and “neighbourhood crime” by 20 per cent before the next general election.

Ms Truss said her government would publish “league tables” to show how each of the 43 forces in England and Wales are performing against national trends, and that the chief constables of those deemed to be underperforming would have to explain themselves to ministers.

Her campaign team also took a swipe at chief constables, sending reporters a quote claiming that they were “not cracking down as hard as they should be”, threatening to deepen a rift that has grown during Priti Patel’s time as home secretary.

Policing sources said officers were sick of being used as a “political football” at a time when recorded crime stands at a record high, and prosecutions at a record low.

Ihttps://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ ... 31734.html
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4589 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:45 am

FD2 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:58 am
The French never help the situation do they? Still smarting over Brexit, perhaps, or just the usual awkward squad stuff?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-62273523
FD2, the French may be awkward, but if one does some operations management mathematics, it is easy to show that the current set up in Dover, that has emerged after Brexit, has never, and will never work, as is visible from the R44 even on non-holiday season Saturdays, as the trucks queue up for miles on the M20 and/or A20, unremarked by the right wing press, the cowed BBC, and those who would hide their heads in the sand like ostriches, while falling back on the tired, rather lame expedient, of blaming somebody else for self-inflicted problems.

The government has singularly failed to take this problem seriously as is evidenced by their failure to fund the Dover port authorities properly and their lack of integration of facilities, already paid for, into a properly resourced plan to mitigate against congestion that is strangling parts of Kent and making life for the inhabitants of Dover hellish!

It is also quite ironic that Brexit, with the mantra, "taking back control", has simply ceded a large measure of control to a foreign power, on British soil. Once again, such issues are blithely, and blindly, ignored by the proponents of this self-inflicted economic harm! As the French might say "C’est une énorme folie!"

https://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/nat ... vel-chaos/
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4590 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:08 am

Boac wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:51 am
The latest broadcast from the leadership contest
=))

Too true...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -paperwork

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4591 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:31 am

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:22 am
Liz Truss wants to impose targets on police to cut murders by one fifth if she becomes prime minister under a policy lambasted as “incoherent”.

The Tory leadership candidate told forces she would expect them to cut homicide, serious violence and “neighbourhood crime” by 20 per cent before the next general election.

Thank you for sharing that. Without your eagle eye I might have assumed it was someone else who said:
Burglars, thugs, and murderers should expect to be taken off our streets and thrown behind bars but it’s unfortunate that some chief constables are not cracking down as hard as they should be.

“Liz will hold their feet to the fire, and these newly published statistics will help the public do the same.”
From the Telegraph today.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4592 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:03 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:31 am
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:22 am

Thank you for sharing that. Without your eagle eye I might have assumed it was someone else who said:
Burglars, thugs, and murderers should expect to be taken off our streets and thrown behind bars but it’s unfortunate that some chief constables are not cracking down as hard as they should be.

“Liz will hold their feet to the fire, and these newly published statistics will help the public do the same.”
From the Telegraph today.

PN, think about it logically! How can Truss expect the police to meet an arbitrary target to cut the number of yet uncommitted murders? You might logically be able to set a target to catch x% of murderers (i.e., where the crime has already been committed) and prosecute them, but that is completely different to what that ridiculous target is asking for. Good enforcement might reduce the number of murders but that is not necessarily always the case, and in fact strict enforcement might even increase the number of murders (think of the narco wars in Mexico, where the arrest of known murderers has resulted in further violence and even greater numbers of murders)), so what Truss is asking is at best illogical, or at least incoherent, or to be brutally honest, downright stupid! :))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4593 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:48 pm

But did she say that or is that what the Independent, independently reported she said?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4594 Post by Woody » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:17 pm

petition to allow a vote on Boris Johnson’s resignation has passed 10,000 votes from Conservative members.
Apparently you don’t have to a member of the Conservative Party to register with this petition, just put your membership number as 0 and an address for your vote

Obviously I’m not suggesting that any of our esteemed members should vote to send the DM into further ecstasy :ymdevil:

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4595 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:24 pm

Stay away from change.org. They are just data collectors and marketing.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4596 Post by Woody » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:03 pm

The Ukrainians seem quite keen on him :-?

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4597 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:34 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:48 pm
But did she say that or is that what the Independent, independently reported she said?
Somebody who can't tell the difference between the phrase "hit the ground" and "hit the ground running" is liable to have promulgated the gibberish pretending to be a target that the Independent quoted! ;)))

Just a well she isn't a pilot, what with her "hit the ground" she is clearly a CFIT risk.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4598 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:29 pm

They are welcome to him.
I believe he's out of a job shortly ;)))

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4599 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:36 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:29 pm
They are welcome to him.
I believe he's out of a job shortly ;)))
He'll be like the turd that just won't flush down the gurgler methinks, forever floating in his own self-serving love of his own phantasm while creating a wretched stink from the deeply sociopathic bowl of his psyche! Wretched human that he is!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4600 Post by Boac » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:17 am