Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#4541 Post by Boac » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:15 am

Another slant on the race for leader.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4542 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:34 pm

FD2, she now has a much higher rank, similar to Carol Vordeman, though Carol probably fits her uniform better.

Quite funny though watching a 3 ring admiral deferring to a 4 ringer. 😊

Mind you, gp capts and wg cdrs kowtow to mere MPs as if the MP has either influence either on the Service or their promotion. At the time a basic MP salary was the same as a sqn ldr aircrew.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4543 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:28 pm

In my experience many matelots start at the bottom...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4544 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:51 pm

As an aside, I am minded to join both the Labour and Conservative parties.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4545 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:08 pm

I sssume that you mean you intend to enrol in both parties. They are already joined together by offering the voter nothing different, and hence do not require joining. .

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4546 Post by FD2 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:29 pm

I have a very low opinion of politicians in general but I suppose they are a necessary evil. Johnson is, IMO, incompetent and we all know he only has to open his mouth to tell a lie. The blame for keeping him in post lies squarely with his supporters of course but especially with those who served in his cabinet. Thank God that they have finally seen sense and winkled him out.

Now they have to find a successor and the Conservatives will most probably choose someone inappropriate as they usually do, but I think there are a few who seem to possess some integrity and others whose acquisition of great wealth will always be subject to suspicion and resentment amongst the British public who are facing some difficult times over the next few years. Someone from a more humble background like Mordaunt whose skewerings of the sweet auburn haired lady who sits next to the nonentity Starmer on the Opposition bench and also the rotund SNP oaf gladdened my heart. I would promote Kemi Badenoch too, in a flash. The Party of Whinge and Bile's worst enemies!

Whoever gets the vote has a very difficult time ahead and I wish for the Nation's sake the right person is chosen.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4547 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:35 pm

On the subject of Boris, who can recall Bunter and his resemblance?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4548 Post by FD2 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:06 pm

I always think of him as Billy Bunter. Beautifully summed up by one of his teachers at Eton in a report to his father:

A teacher despaired of Mr Johnson’s “effortless superiority”.

“I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation that binds everyone else,” wrote classics master Martin Hammond to Stanley Johnson in 1982.

Good riddance to him and his wife, who I suspect has been continually interfering in policy making.

Bunter of the Remove.jpg

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4549 Post by FD2 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:13 pm

It doesn't have to be Mordaunt, but wouldn't it be nice to have someone who can hold their own at the Despatch Box and not mumble piffle?

Blackford gets the treatment:

And 'Ange' gets it too:

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4550 Post by FD2 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:37 pm

Gerald Campion as Bunter, with his chums, from the children's TV series - enjoying some 'tuck'.

Bunter's Chums.png

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4551 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:55 pm

For some weeks now the Press & Journal (Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire issue) has carried several letters each day absolutely hammering the SNP and Sturgeon in particular. It lightens the heart and gives one hope that people are at last seeing her and the SNP for what they are.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

admin2
Capt
Capt

#4552 Post by admin2 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:09 pm

Because of the way this topic developed about a post by UP, the subsequent discussion continued on the wrong thread as observed by OFSO.

I am therefore adding all the relevant posts here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7051&start=40#p339180

Back to UK politics

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4553 Post by Boac » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:22 pm

Further evidence of a devious and probably dangerous PM. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... GTUK_email

Is he fit to hold any security clearance? If not - out! Now!

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4554 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:37 pm

Probably no worse than Harold Wilson - allegedly.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4555 Post by Boac » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:39 pm

What?! Is he still PM?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4556 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:44 pm

FD2 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:08 am
did you think she could join as a commander or captain?

No. Did you?

She attended in the reserve for a year or so as a very junior officer, then stopped as she was magically promoted to honorary Commander and then a year later equally magically promoted to honorary Captain.

As for "joining" as a Captain, isn't that pretty much what Carol Vorderman did when she started in the RAFVR(T) as an honorary Group Captain? Or did you think she worked her way up through the ranks?

I think these honorary ranks, whether for royals or for commoners, are just silly.

Wasn't it Pepys who persuaded the Admiralty to promote officers on the basis of proven competence by examination rather than by acclamation due to political and other high connections?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4557 Post by FD2 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:11 pm

I wouldn't think for a moment that she should have joined as a Commander or a Captain - you seemed to be implying that by saying she joined as a 'lowly 'second' lieutenant' but nit picking aside I couldn't agree more with you about honorary ranks. What is their purpose and which Service started the ball rolling - I don't know, but they should be scrapped.

Andrew was offered promotion if he stayed in the RN as it was thought he was good for publicity purposes. If he was promoted on natural ability he would have been a passed over Lt Cdr, but that's a slightly different matter, as at least he had served on the front line. As for his family...

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4558 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:30 pm

His dad done his bit.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4559 Post by FD2 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:23 pm

And his granddad George VI and great granddad George V. I think most of them were keen to do their duty but held back by the Government's fear of losing the sons and heirs. Charles had quite a long 'acquaint' but it was a struggle to find aircraft with low hours on their components, best people to instruct him, keeping clear of other aircraft etc. I shouldn't have lumped them all in together. Even the now poodle faking Harry was keen to get stuck in when he was a 'normal' lad but again held back by protocol. I'm not sure if it was ability or protocol again which kept him, allegedly, in the co-pilot's seat.

Apologies for drift again. I see that the Mail is getting excited about the front runners in the leadership back stabbing contest having 'dissed' some of the contenders! Sunak might need a truss after all the groin damage sustained :ymdevil: but Badenoch's coming up on the outside!

Meanwhile there are dire predictions of mass heat deaths from the Met Office - I thought that should come from whoever might be in charge of the Government - whoever that might be.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4560 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:39 pm

There's people in authority, but I haven't seen anyone in charge for a long time. Here either.