WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#1741 Post by Ibbie » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:51 am

What a shambles. Another poor attempt at the second Hancocks Half Hour of the day, at a late hour and on Twotter!

The UK Government are making this up as they go along. Blind Panic appears to be in control of Hancock's brain, that is if he has one.

Even the deputy chief health officers they have wheeled out recently have names which sound more like James Bond villans.

....and now it appears another edition of "Half Hour" is due on the "Today" Radio 4 prog shortly.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1742 Post by Ibbie » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:22 am

Another shambles, as Hancock tried to justify things.

Lies, lies and more lies.

If, and when he gets to The Lords, will he take up the title of Lord Haw Haw?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1743 Post by barkingmad » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:48 pm

It’s Saturday evening in the UK and if you & yours have not managed to get to a pub/restaurant or both, then it’s a dismal evening in front of the ‘box’ or the old-fashioned radio.

Here’s a thought provoking and articulate look at some of the crap which has been attacking our senses recently both here and abroad.

If you have a spare 3/4 of an hour it might stimulate some discussion with anyone who might listen with you, or just settle back with another glass of ‘electric soup’ and revel in one of the few good speakers and thinkers left standing in the face of the Lefty ‘woke’ legions by whom we are currently being overrun.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1744 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Or watch F1

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1745 Post by barkingmad » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:23 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:26 pm
Or watch F1
When Scalextric was first all the rage, even then as an 8-yr old I was struck by how boring it rapidly became, even though I neither wanted nor received a set for Christmas, birthdays or any other event at which I might have earned a gift.

The similarity ‘twixt F1 and Scalextric remains locked too many years later.

Even F3 has some redeeming features but I’ve always thought it odd as my car might be failing MoT certification for some minor infraction of the emission rules these gas-guzzlers were encouraged regardless of their obvious pollution legacy.

So I’ll keep the video above as an antidote to the crushing boredom I experience when the TV channel accidentally locks on to the grownup version of Scalextric. :-w

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1746 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:55 am

BM, on 'all the rage ' in Malta in 1964 there was a Scalextric setup on the first floor of a shop where young Malts could indulge their passion.

A bit like 10-pin bowling where there was an alley in every town at the time. They are still around though but not quite as 'every high street'. I played the first time last year. Did quite well, been there, got the T-shirt, won't bother with the book.

Best I heard was '. . . and the battle for 3rd, 4th and 5th places.'. Basically ignore the Mercedes and justice watch the rest. My grandfather used to race Benz at Brooklands, he wasn't the driver though.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1747 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:46 pm

For the few months before I travelled to Hereford for my brat school training, I worked in a the toy department of large department store. We had a gi-huge Scalextric 4-track demo layout for the customers to play with. After the shop shut at five o'clock, all the directors, buyers and other big cheeses in the company would descend on the toy department "to test the product"- yeah, right! According to the night security man, they would still be there at nine o'clock and on the occasion of the "final round of the championship", t'was near to midnight when they left.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1748 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:24 pm

Remember that other fad, the foot table, the sophisticated one had Diddy players on magnets.

The other was that table with players on bars. Never played either, explains why I went Nav. Anyway our neighbours have that table soccer table. They are on their late 20s early 30s.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

New campaign - "Old lives matter"

#1749 Post by Boac » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:39 pm

If the rumoured prison camps for the over-50s materialise, we need all out on the streets, taking the arthritic knee (if you can, of course, no pressure) and waving bus passes and OAP vouchers at the Plod ( - aren't they getting younger........?).

Good to see that the Old Grim Reaper, Lester, does have a sense of humour after all.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1750 Post by llondel » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:21 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:23 am
When Scalextric was first all the rage, even then as an 8-yr old I was struck by how boring it rapidly became, even though I neither wanted nor received a set for Christmas, birthdays or any other event at which I might have earned a gift.
I was never any good at Scalextric, nor some of the video games. If I'm driving a car for real I've got some idea of the forces involved and I get feedback to moderate speed into curves, but sat in a fixed chair watching a screen, there's nothing to help apart from learning by repeated crashes what the optimum speed is at various points and how to string it all together.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1751 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:02 am

some idea of the forces involved and I get feedback to moderate speed into curves
Drove a Lamborghini around a race track. All in perception, 55 mph max! I think the fastest I went was the Bentley out of the pits.

Being low down on the L you get the impression of speed. I think I would have been quicker in my 220 diesel Merc.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1752 Post by barkingmad » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am

As an over 50yr old in the UK, I am most certainly feeling vulnerable;

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/08/0 ... rable-now/

So I for one will be out on the streets waving my Zimmer frame in a threatening manner and commenting on how young the UK Plod are looking.

But that performance will mask an anger against the Establishment I have felt for some time to be increasing in ferocity since this plague farce started.

And anyway, if the over 50s fill the streets by way of rebellion, is there enough Plod to arrest us all and will the courts and prisons cope?

Someone somewhere at the centre of UK power has completely lost the plot and soon will lose the country, if that has not already happened... ~X(

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1753 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:27 am

Hello there!!

Oh dear! Bojo is in the poo-poo with the Chump. Apparently he has allowed TikTok to acquire a London HQ. Silly boy.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1754 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:47 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:27 am
Hello there!!

Oh dear! Bojo is in the poo-poo with the Chump. Apparently he has allowed TikTok to acquire a London HQ. Silly boy.
Johnson will now have to stick his fathead even further up the Orange idiot's rectum.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1755 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:21 am

If press speculation is correct, I sincerely hope the Government would not be so foolish as to pick on the over-50s whilst the under-30s and various minority pressure groups are continued to be allowed to gather in large groups. It would be an action that Boris and his camp-followers would have cause to regret.

And WTF was going on in Brixton at the weekend with what looked like a paramilitary force marching along the roads? There are sinister forces at work in this country and in picking on the over-50s, the government is picking on the wrong group. Boris could do no worse than to tell the police chiefs to get a grip and start policing instead of making pathetic and appeasing political gestures or spouting words of solace to the community of the scrotes who murdered PC Harper.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1756 Post by om15 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:46 pm

I do wonder what Boris Johnson thinks of the views of the people that voted him in with such a large majority. He seems intent on making sure that we don't repeat the process.

We have the border force helping French authorities to bring in several hundred unknown people with no right of abode here in order to put them up in hotels every day, we have black clad black people breaking lockdown and distancing rules with impunity and we see a tinpot dictator north of the border running rings around the PM.

I think that the Tories need to get a Tory PM, not this wet liberal, he can't speak properly, he can't dress himself and he has no idea of what the people who voted him in want.

When we muse over Cameron, May and now Johnson it seems that the Tories are incapable of selecting a competent leader, the current one can't even brush his hair.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1757 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:31 pm

Boris the Wonderclown does have one redeeming feature: he's delivering Brexit, as demanded by the electorate. The Maybot would never have done that.

Perhaps another is that he hasn't actually taken us to war, other than a pathetic bit of flag-wagging in China's backyard by a Blaircraft carrier.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1758 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:50 pm

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1759 Post by OFSO » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:58 pm

Good cartoon. Oddly enough we suspect that it was the tenant of the Britannia pub who brought CV back from Bradford to Empuriabrava Spain in early February this year. Two customers later and it was in our household.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1760 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:06 pm

The outbreak in Furryboots was pub-based too.

Scottish pubs: open. Scottish schools: closed.

She's quite slavish in following the Wonderclown - and truly brilliant in her charade of pretending that she isn't doing what she's doing.