WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#2041 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 pm

BM - I was hoping for a more 'normal' means of communication that does not involve littering the countryside.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#2042 Post by Bob » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:46 pm

WTF is happening in the UK?

The Police are scared of the kids,
the teachers are scared of the kids,
the Parents are scared of the kids.

The Kids have got wind of the above and are now setting the agenda......winter will be interesting
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2043 Post by om15 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:51 pm

I think the winter agenda is the teachers union stirring the covid situation as much as possible to destabalise the Government. They will end up on Dominic's to do list if they aren't careful.

It is nice to see that Piers Corbyn is in receipt of a ten grand fine for disobeying the Government instructions, should have been given eighteen months as well.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2044 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:06 pm

BM - Piers seems to be on 'your side' on anti-mask, anti-lockdown? As a supporter, will you help crowd-fund his fine? :))

(Puts on crash-helmet, stands back, fingers in ears but always prepared to be surprised....)

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2045 Post by Ibbie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:47 pm

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-08-31/por ... irus-cases

What a way to run a railway country or anything for that matter.

Talk about looonatics in control. What a set of f'ing twonkers.

You cannot treat people and for that matter airlines like this.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2046 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:55 pm

Ibbie, anyone with just one iota of common sense could have worked that out. You only have to follow the World Tracker to see the trends. The UK rate has been increasing since July. Other countries too, especially France. Spain too so the whole of Western Europe is on the edge.

At least a journalist in the paper yesterday related how he had factored in the fortnight quarantine on return. Look at the risk factor and grab a bargain. Biggest risk may then not be quarantine but lack of flights home.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2047 Post by ian16th » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:18 pm

Can one complain to the party whip?
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2048 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:21 pm

At least I got an initial reply 'that a very interesting question'.

The nearest to a proper answer was in an answer published in the national papers

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2049 Post by barkingmad » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:13 am

I had not realised we were giving those lovely folks in the CCP foreign aid, in addition to Pakistan, purveyors of heroin at an industrial level and also to India who are tinkering with their own space exploration program. So it would appear this generosity from the nasty racists colonialist UK should be terminated;

As one of the appended comments made the point, there’s no need for foreign aid as they’re all already in the UK complete with wives and children so why shovel the dosh overseas to the money-trousering despots who squirrel it away in dodgy Swiss bank accounts.

And as the illegal Channel crossings continue by lorry and by inflatable dinghy, thanks to the £61,000,000 we’re paying Les Frogs to facilitate this lucrative traffic, then I would agree with the move to keep what’s left of the 0.7% of sweet feck all after Covid has wrecked GNI.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2050 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:23 am

I thought we had stopped funding nuclear powers in the hope of friendship. I see most foreign aid as monetary displacement.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2051 Post by barkingmad » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:12 pm

A typical day in Blighty in the new shining exciting 21st Century illustrated by this story from the High Street;

" I thought I’d describe something that’s just happened in our local high street. My wife and I had just finished our walk and were heading home. We saw this little old lady (must have been in her 80s) obviously struggling with her shopping and could barely breath with her mask on so I stopped and asked if she needed help. I double and triple checked with her that she was OK with me handling her shopping so I carried it to the bus stop for her. My wife offered to walk with her at the same time and bless her, she linked arms with my wife.

All she did the entire time was thank us for helping her and kept asking if it was OK if she took her mask off. My wife said, “You can do whatever you feel comfortable with my dear. You don’t have to wear it but you can if you want.”

When we sat her down at the bus stop she held both our hands and said thank you ever so much. Her bus wasn’t for ages so my wife has gone back down in the car to give her a lift home

As we were walking away I actually started welling up because throughout the entire interaction, all I kept thinking was: “Can I handle her shopping, am I getting too close, is she going to feel uncomfortable?” When she grabbed our hands to say thank you, that’s what finally set me off.

All I kept thinking was, what the hell have we done to our country? Is this social damage irreversible? I hope not."

W T F have we done?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2052 Post by barkingmad » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:17 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:06 pm
BM - Piers seems to be on 'your side' on anti-mask, anti-lockdown? As a supporter, will you help crowd-fund his fine? :))

(Puts on crash-helmet, stands back, fingers in ears but always prepared to be surprised....)
"Piers Corbyn gets arrested and fined £10,000 for “organising ” the anti-lockdown demo while Sunday’s BLM organisers “Ken Hinds, an adviser to Scotland Yard, Sasha Johnson, a youth worker and activist, rapper 2 Badda, and author Anthony Spencer” get away with “a word of advice”!

I have to presume bo that this is your idea of justice? If so, keep me away from my trigger finger.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2053 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:25 pm

As you will know, I have no "idea of justice" and care not a jot anyway for either team.

PS What is a 'rapper'? Is it someone that knocks on doors?

Are you crowd-funding Piers? He does seem like your sort of 'worthy chap'.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2054 Post by om15 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:33 pm

It is not the first time Corbyn has been arrested for allegedly breaking coronavirus rules. In June he was charged with two counts of breaching the regulations after he was pictured at a protest against 5G in Hyde Park on 16 May, and at another protest on 30 May. He is due to appear in court on 23 October for a trial on the two counts of organising gatherings of more than two people not from the same household.

Corbyn’s fine comes after the Met last week dropped a threat to investigate the organiser of another protest on suspicion of breaching coronavirus regulations, after accepting that as a political protest it was exempt.

Police wrote to Ken Hinds, a community activist based in Haringey, north London, after he asked them to help facilitate a protest march from Notting Hill to Hyde Park on Sunday, warning him that by merely publicising the protest he may have already broken the law.

After an urgent legal challenge accusing the Met of discrimination, a lawyer for the force wrote again to admit that Hinds and his organisation, Communities Against Violence, did fit the criteria of a “political body”, as outlined under the regulations. The march went ahead as planned on Sunday with about 400 people attending.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... down-rally

I hate to submit a Guardian link, but in this case it does give some additional information. I am delighted that Piers Corbyn has been given a large fine, I hope that he refuses to pay and gets sent down for two years.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2055 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:03 pm

I think you have just upset BM. :))

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2056 Post by barkingmad » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:05 pm

“ Corbyn’s fine comes after the Met last week dropped a threat to investigate the organiser of another protest on suspicion of breaching coronavirus regulations, after accepting that as a political protest it was exempt.”

Unbiased performance by the police and CPS, eh?

A good lawyer might well get that quashed and cost the taxpayer even more in legal costs...

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2057 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:05 am

In a nearby town, the Orthodox Jews tend to live within a small area (well, not so small).
A current planning application has just been approved for a block of 26 linked 4-bedroom properties to be built specifically for occupation by Orthodox Jews.
Is this a ghetto, albeit voluntary?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2058 Post by barkingmad » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:20 pm

"Is this a ghetto, albeit voluntary?"

It looks like it might be interpreted as that;

https://www.definitions.net/definition/Ghetto

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#2059 Post by Smeagol » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:13 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:05 am
In a nearby town, the Orthodox Jews tend to live within a small area (well, not so small).
A current planning application has just been approved for a block of 26 linked 4-bedroom properties to be built specifically for occupation by Orthodox Jews.
Is this a ghetto, albeit voluntary?
This is clearly racist, Shirley!

Anyone submitting a similar application for a development reserved for Christians (chose your own sub-sect) or , heaven forfend, a single racial grouping (particularly white, anglo saxon) would be subject to much abuse.
We hates Bagginses!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2060 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:31 pm

The High Court ruled last year that a London housing association which provides homes only to Orthodox Jews did not breach equality laws.
Judges said the practice was legal because Orthodox Jews have different needs that require them to live close to each other, while also noting other factors including anti-Semitism that put the community at a disadvantage.
The 26 four-bedroom houses have been designed to the specific cultural requirements of the Orthodox Jewish community, including an interconnected kitchen, and dining and living spaces with study facilities.
Asked if having a development exclusively for one community would comply with the Equalities Act, council solicitor Brendan McNeany said the planning committee “is not the appropriate forum to try and enforce such issues”.
He added: “This is a thing we come across reasonably frequently where concerns or speculation are expressed about a particular type of resident that might occupy residential accommodation.
“It is very much like cases we have discussed regarding accommodation for vulnerable people or people transitioning from care, etc. It is residential accommodation – the fact that it might be occupied by such people is not really a planning consideration.”