Migrants

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Migrants

#541 Post by John Hill » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:49 am

Thank you for the kind words Nicky but I fear you still cannot grasp that the way to solve this 'problem' so many are bellyaching about is to stop the desire to migrate at the source. Surely you know how to do that after all the experience of the benevolent practices of the British Empire in it's heyday?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

#542 Post by Nick Riviera » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:02 am

John Hill wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:49 am
Thank you for the kind words Nicky but I fear you still cannot grasp that the way to solve this 'problem' so many are bellyaching about is to stop the desire to migrate at the source. Surely you know how to do that after all the experience of the benevolent practices of the British Empire in it's heyday?
Yes, I do know how that is achieved. At the source, the inhabitants work hard to turn their country around. Takes time and hard work but the result is worth it. Bleating about the heyday of the British Empire, which was well over a century ago, is just an exercise in blame to excuse why one shouldn't work hard and change the way things are.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#543 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:29 am

I would have thought that the best way to halt all these people would be to catch the people smugglers who are making a LOT of money. After all it is big buisiness for them and it is them who are shipping these people in. We are essentially talking organised crime exept that the commodity is humans not narcotic drugs.
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#544 Post by John Hill » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:35 am

Nick Riviera wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:02 am
Yes, I do know how that is achieved. At the source, the inhabitants work hard to turn their country around. Takes time and hard work but the result is worth it.
I am sure the young people of Afghanistan would be very pleased to hear that advice.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#545 Post by John Hill » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:37 am

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:29 am
I would have thought that the best way to halt all these people would be to catch the people smugglers who are making a LOT of money.
That is not a solution and would just move the 'problem' elsewhere. For some people that solution might suite them just fine.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#546 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:53 am

Mrs Ex-A, there was some good discussion on the radio yesterday, sad to say it was with Jeremy Vine, but like the Daily Mail, good never the less.

He seemed to have experts in a cupboard and when someone phoned in with your question he wheeled out the head of the organised crime agency.

France isn't the problem per se, merely the end game. They are shipped in from Eastern Europe, trucked in from Germany and Netherlands. The boats are sourced in Germany or bought from China on eBay "it is not illegal to buy a boat".

They used to set sail from a short stretch of beach near Calais once truck security stepped up. As beach patrols increased the launch sites are now over 100km.

Another question posed by our NZ irritant and he wheeled put the responsible official from the UN.

Vietnam, Syria, Somalia, North Africa or even Iran, are not 'British' problems except that they have English as a language and they know our benefit system is the better.

Then on LBC we had migrants calling in. One had got citizenship, had a job, worked hard, set up his own business. He declined to say where he had come from and how he got here.

Another had left part of his family behind and travelled back and forth on visits.

Young single men in boats from France are the current focus; don't forget that truck of unfortunate Vietnamese. Maybe they were as a consequence of Australia closing its border.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#547 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:08 am

John Hill wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:37 am
Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
I would have thought that the best way to halt all these people would be to catch the people smugglers who are making a LOT of money.
That is not a solution and would just move the 'problem' elsewhere. For some people that solution might suite them just fine.
Yes she ignored the NGO, that help people to reach the shores of Europe just a couple of miles off the shores of Libya, or Turkey

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#548 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:20 am

Why does nobody ever point out it is not against the law to leave France* and therefore there's no obligation on the French to stop them ?

*Many would say, of course, it's an excellent and good idea, almost as good as not going there in the first place, but that's not the point of my post.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#549 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:25 am

So, where/when does it become an offence?

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#550 Post by SOPS » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:18 pm

What I find amusing is that the UK has stopped flights from Africa due to a new Covid strain. But they are letting in thousands that they don’t know where they have come from and what diseases they possibly have.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#551 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:17 pm

OFSO wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:20 am
Why does nobody ever point out it is not against the law to leave France* and therefore there's no obligation on the French to stop them ?

Pity that there isn't a law against criminals entering ffrance, only one forbidding them to be prevented from leaving.

Something is wonky with that arrangement.

Did we sign up for that when we joined the EEC/EU? If so, can we go now please?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#552 Post by Boac » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:14 pm

So, Ms Patel is barred from attending the EU meeting on migrants in Calais - apparently Bojo had some difficulties with a French Letter and broadcast a (private) 'diplomatic' epistle on Twatterfeed. He really is a dickhead - in many ways.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#553 Post by John Hill » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:29 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:53 am

Vietnam, Syria, Somalia, North Africa or even Iran, are not 'British' problems except that they have English as a language and they know our benefit system is the better.
Oh but they are 'British' problems in that those are among the countries where these immigrants set out from, solve their problems at home and your 'problem' would be saved.

So stop pratting on about people in boats and turn your attention to the real problem.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#554 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:17 pm

John Hill wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:29 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:53 am

Oh but they are 'British' problems in that those are among the countries where these immigrants set out from, solve their problems at home and your 'problem' would be saved.

So stop pratting on about people in boats and turn your attention to the real problem.
Bereft of ideas as usual.

The only boat involved with the Vietnamese was a freight ferry. That they travelled half way round the World to become a British problem was probably due to the closure of borders by Australia and no doubt other 'friendly' countries.

What ability does the West have to impose a solution to their internal countries?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#555 Post by John Hill » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:25 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:17 pm

The only boat involved with the Vietnamese was a freight ferry. That they travelled half way round the World to become a British problem was probably due to the closure of borders by Australia and no doubt other 'friendly' countries.
A nice diversion.

What ability does the West have to impose a solution to their internal countries?
Every one of those areas mentioned a few posts back has suffered at the hands of the British and you say it is too hard to provide development assistance? Add Afghanistan to the list.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#556 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:29 pm

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#557 Post by John Hill » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:58 pm

Yes, I know the UK was included in the countries in ISAF and I trust you realise the 20 years in Afghanistan will not be remembered as a great success. So how about the countries of ISAF go back and do what they were tasked to do?

But not only Afghanistan as there are a lot of countries that need to be repaired.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#558 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:29 pm

John Hill wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:58 pm
not only Afghanistan as there are a lot of countries that need to be repaired.
In what way, pray tell, might we improve or 'repair' such sources of criminal invasion by encouraging their citizens to invade us in such criminal ways?

Sure, we attempted to ****. That did happen.

Now we are, I hope, preventing them from doing such a thing to us.

That's fair to our people; and to our peoples' children; and to all the legal immigrants in the past two thousand years who have made Britain great.

We have become a source of brilliance, very largely due to legal immigrants.

Enough is enough. We don't need illegals. We've got quite enough criminals, thankyou.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#559 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:21 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
I would have thought that the best way to halt all these people would be to catch the people smugglers who are making a LOT of money. .....

What about sticking a bloody great pins** in the inflatables and giving them a puncture before they launch into the sea?

** Could take the form of 7.62mm or a 5.56mm pins.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#560 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:04 am

I saw that video too.

My thought was that there should have ben a presence of a squad of Royal Marines with pickaxe handles on that shore.