Migrants

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Migrants

#21 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:48 am

The way to put a stop to the mass flow of illegals across the Med is to return them to North Africa immediately. Never bring them to any of the European countries.

The message will soon get through that the journey is just a waste of time and money and personal risk.

I reluctantly find myself agreeing with Chump that illegals should be treated as criminals and incarcerated in very harsh conditions prior to deportation.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by llondel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:30 pm

I remember many years ago, probably 1998, when the UK still had exit checks. I was in one queue and there was a chap a couple of booths down getting the third degree about the fact that he'd overstayed his visa (by a few years, I think). I'm guessing he wasn't going to find it easy to get back in.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:20 pm

In some Countries, with an overstay of even a few hours, they won't let you leave!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:55 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:48 am
. . . illegals should be treated as criminals and incarcerated in very harsh conditions . . .
ECHR.

We don't do harsh incarceration with our own thugs let alone mere illegals.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Woody » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:22 pm

Thai paperwork mountain, Slasher beware :((
Thailand has long been an attractive destination for Western expats - where money goes further and can buy a good quality of life. But the revival of an arcane immigration law has angered the expat community and got them questioning their freedoms in Thailand, as George Styllis reports from Bangkok.
"I've been made to feel as if I'm not welcome here," says Zareeka Gardner, a 25-year-old English teacher from the US.
Since arriving in Thailand in April, she has racked up significant immigration fines. Among that was 800 baht ($26; £21) she had to pay because her apartment manager failed to promptly file a form saying where she was staying.
Thailand's Immigration Act contains a clause requiring all foreigners to let the authorities know where they're staying at all times.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Slasher

#26 Post by Slasher » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:26 am

I've long since managed quite well Woody. Comes back to knowing the rules intimately and how to bend them when necessary. As long as I bugger off out of the country every 90 days I'm cool. This is ok since I'm in HKG every month. However I can and do apply to the visa office at my hometown airport where I get a renewed visa without having to travel anywhere. A few Baht does exchange hands but not much at all. This was last used during my long stay at home Oct - March without having to go anywhere.

Three things in my favour:
- Not living in bloody BKK. Farang can be treated like sh!t.
- Being married to a local (and an informed one at that).
- Having very friendly relations with those who matter (Immig Customs, Tax office, local cops, etc)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:51 am

Slasher I guess you omitted a fourth point. completely non-applicable to the illegals immigrants arriving in the EU: you are a valuable member of the community pouring money into it and not drain the local resources.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:56 am

Harsh incarceration is totally counterproductive if you intend to rehabilitate and civilise prisoners and turn them into good neighbours upon their release. Norway has proven that to a remarkable extent.

I don't propose such a regime for criminal migrants as I do not want them in the UK/EU at all. That's why I think we should establish a gulag archipelago in terrible places like St Kilda, Peterhead, Norfolk and Trapani to act as a dispersed holding pen for illegal migrants to be held in cages until they agree to be deported.

Slasher

#29 Post by Slasher » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:29 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:51 am
Slasher I guess you omitted a fourth point. completely non-applicable to the illegals immigrants arriving in the EU: you are a valuable member of the community pouring money into it and not drain the local resources.
I do have my days when I'm a totally unproductive burden on Thai society mate. Usually lounging the whole day in bed, eating and drinking, calling Ap downstairs to drop everything and get into the cot etc.

Now and then it's good to just slouch around like a useless bum and vedge out.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:36 am

Zareeka Gardner, a 25-year-old English teacher from the US.
Sloppy reporting - an American teacher of English - also an oxymoron 😀.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:47 am

UP, I may have mentioned the 'island' in the Bristol Channel that featured in a novel. The island was obviously Lundy which would not have been allowed but a good read.

Only those convicted of murder and all appeals failed where transported there.

They were drugged, helicoptered in, and dropped off. The previous inmates had formed two camps one were rule abiding and lived in a secure compound. The other had only the rule of force.

New arrivals were dropped off in the safe compound and interviewed. If they had useful skills they were considered for entry. All were then sent beyond the pale. They had to survive a few days. Only the survivors previously considered would be allowed back in.

Both camps had been created from flotsam and jetsum. Old buildings had no glass or doors, there was a basic supplies run dropped off with new arrivals.

Fascinating social exploration with ones sympathies with the good guys 😀

Capetonian

#32 Post by Capetonian » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:58 am

I am not suggesting that invaders be executed, but the death penalty for certain types of criminal would alleviate the overcrowding of prisons both in reducing the numbers of prisoners, and hopefully in acting as a deterrent, although the latter is dubious and the former would have only a minor effect.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:14 am

Maybe we should merge my thread about what it would take Europeans to say "enough".

Yesterday some 567 illegal landed in Lesvos island. The useless b@stαrd$ of the Greek coast guard wasted efforts to contact the Turkish homologues instead of stopping the 13 vessels used by the invaders. Yet they claim they offer service to the Greek tax payers and yet they practically act like a welcome committee along the NGO.
Maybe it would have been a good idea to confiscate the salaries of the useless officers involved to pay for the new arrivals needs.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#34 Post by bob2s » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:38 am

In Aussie the boat people have been stopped by the Government implementing a turn back policy,the navy intercepts the boats and turns the so called refugee( most are young men who throw their identity papers overboard,and all have the latest smart phones etc.)around and only give them enough fuel to reach their start point.This was implemented by the Liberal Party and to date has been a success,Prior to this, we had something like a boat or two a day when the Labor Party was in power giving us an increase of approx. fifty to a hundred thousand a year in economic refugees. Still have a bunch of f###wits that would like to see us go back to the Labor Party and the Watermelon party (Greens --green on the outside and red on the inside) ways.

CremeEgg
Snr FO
Snr FO

#35 Post by CremeEgg » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:36 pm

Maybe should be on BBC thread or the rant thread but the Beeb on their latest report on the boat/lilo people crossing the Channel seeks to include the following note on terminology:-

A note on terminology: The BBC uses the term migrant to refer to all people on the move who have yet to complete the legal process of claiming asylum. This group includes people fleeing war-torn countries, who are likely to be granted refugee status, as well as people who are seeking jobs and better lives, who governments are likely to rule are economic migrants.

Not good for the blood pressure!

Capetonian

#36 Post by Capetonian » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:44 pm

Illegal aliens, invaders, scroungers, all far too emotive for the PC brigade.

Discussing this recently with the daughter of friends, I deliberately used all those terms and more. I was highly gratified to be called a filthy right-wing fascist, Nazi, racist, bigot, apartheid supporter, elitist, snob and others.

The odd thing was, that when it was dinnertime, she was quite happy to eat food I'd cooked.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:29 pm

Hundreds of laughing, dancing, eye-rolling NRs crashed the fences into the Spanish colony of Ceuta on N African soil yesterday demanding, now they are in Europe, their right to stay. None wearing more than ragged shorts, no shoes no shirts, not one having - obviously - any ID. No doubt these will be provided by the idiot Spanish and the NRs will be released to head north across the frontier into France. Where they will not linger.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:29 am

They should send this ****q back to Cairo in the same box.

Better still, send him to Ras Gharib!

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:52 am

Any one care to bet that he has celebrated his 17th birthday a number of years ago?

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#40 Post by SOPS » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:51 am

Meanwhile in Australia we have a family from Srilanka, who arrived illegally by boat. They were found not to be refugees and told they had to leave. They have been fighting in court for years to be able to stay. They are currently in detention however are going to the High Court. I don't understand where they get the money from for all these legal battles.