Scotish stuff

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Bob
Capt
Capt

Re: Scotish stuff

#21 Post by Bob » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:54 pm

My ears are bleeding
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:51 am

Great news, Bob!👍😂

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by om15 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 pm

Scotland used to be a great place to visit or live, with much to offer for a happy lifestyle.
The impetus to make it as different as possible to the other countries in the UK has not, in the main, increased lifestyle enjoyment, firstly the unfortunate inhabitants have to pay much more income tax than the rest of us, then the enjoyment of drinking and driving was curtailed, now we understand that parents are no longer permitted to smack naughty and impertinent children.

This last restriction will lead to their children growing up to be lawless and without respect for people bigger than themselves, this is not in their interest, particularly in the more seamier parts of Scotland's major cities, this really has not been thought through.

Capetonian

#24 Post by Capetonian » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:26 pm

The Scots have a reputation for being 'dour', that being the word often used. In my experience, the reputation is undeserved, but this fellow lived up to it.

This afternoon I met two friends in a pub called the Black Horse in Rottingdean (near Brighton). I went in and the fellow behind the bar grunted at me. I requested my drink politely and was served.

Since I recently came back from Scotland I had some Scottish banknotes, which a lot of people in England won't take, in my wallet so I took a £5 out, saying to the barman :
"As you're a Scotsman I assume you'll be OK with this."
His reply was :
"No I won't as there are too many fakes around."

That or may not be true but it was the hostile and unfriendly way he said it that grated. I then said the three of us would like some lunch or bar snacks, and in the same ungracious manner he said :
"I'm here on my own and I've already got three people for lunch and I'm not doing food."

On reflection, he wasn't dour, he was sour and borderline rude.

I feel a TripAdvisor report coming on as well as an email to the owners, Greene King, as I happen to be a shareholder.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#25 Post by prospector » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:20 am

", now we understand that parents are no longer permitted to smack naughty and impertinent children."

That stupid law has been in place in NZ for a few years now, makes the job of parents very difficult, police and school teachers really suffer the fall out. Amazing how quickly the youngsters caught on to how much power they had.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:54 am

It's true that some Scots can be unsuited for jobs where 'customer care' skills are important.

I popped into a local shop in Scotland to find it deserted.
Mooched about for a few mins, but nothing.
Tried a quiet 'hello' then another.

Eventually a sullen Scot appeared.

"Fuxxackes" he quoth. "Can a man nae huv a shite in peace?"

Man in the wrong job....he was a decent joiner.

Capetonian

#27 Post by Capetonian » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 pm

Regarding above incident :

TripAdvisor reported was posted :
Reviewed 4 October 2019
Unwelcoming
Before posting on Tripadvisor I usually look at other reports to see if my experience conforms to the average.

As I've been here before and the experience was acceptable, it seems yesterday may have been a bad day.

The Scots have a reputation for being 'dour', that being the word often used. In my experience, the reputation is undeserved, but the Scottish barman on duty today lived up to it.

I went to meet two friends at lunchtime. I went in and requested my drink politely and was served. Then the other friend arrived, greeted the barman, and claimed that the barman ignored him. As he is deaf in one ear that may not have been the case but the barman was pretty surly about the incident.

When I paid for my drink, since I recently came back from Scotland I had some Scottish banknotes, which a lot of people in England won't take, so I took a £5 out, saying to the barman :
"As you're a Scotsman I assume you'll be OK with this."
His reply was :
"No I won't as there are too many fakes around."

That may well be true but it was the hostile and unfriendly way he said it that grated. I then said the three of us would like some lunch or bar snacks, and in the same ungracious manner he said :

"I'm here on my own and I've already got three people for lunch and I'm not doing food."

On reflection, he wasn't dour, he was sour and borderline rude. We left and went round the corner and had a delightful lunch at Open Art Cafe where we were made to feel most welcome.

I've never been a great fan of Greene King but after this experience, and despite being a shareholder, I will no longer darken their doorsteps.

No doubt the landlord will place an aggressive reply to this report, as seems to be the case when a negative report is posted, but I know enough about the hospitality industry to know whether someone should be working in it, and this man should not.

The response from the owner was as follows :
194JohnT194, Owner at Ye Olde Black Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago
Dear Mike,
Apologies for the delay responding. The contents of your review are noted and I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience. I would hope that you will not find this response aggressive - that has never been an intention when responding although we will, of course, take the rightful opportunity to state our own perspective and will refute claims that are simply untrue. Unfortunately, some use review websites as a means of 'punishment' when they are disgruntled, regardless of whether they are justified or not.
Since I was not present myself on this occasion, I have looked into your specific comments and I'm unclear on several points as the staff working the days leading up to your review are not recalling any of the points of your experience. To take them in order:
Firstly, and most notably, we do not have any Scottish staff or any I can think of with an accent that might be construed as Scottish.
Secondly, we have always accepted Scottish notes.
Thirdly, from our records, we have been serving numerous lunches every day leading up to the date of your review (unless your review is some time after the event?) - I've looked at cctv footage but there's nothing that I can find that was helpful.
On a point of clarification, Greene King are our landlords only - this is not a Greene King business, it is independently run by myself and my partner who have over 30 years experience and, for the last 8 years have been running the Black Horse, one of the most popular pubs in the area.
Since you have looked at our reviews, you will see that the vast majority are actually positive so, it seems we're probably in the right business!
I'm glad that you enjoyed your experience with our friends at the Open Art Café - we use it often ourselves!
Once again, I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience although I'm not sure that publicly declaring your disdain of Greene King pubs will do much for the value of your investment!
Best wishes, John, Black Horse, Rottingdean.
Two contrasting versions of the events.

I have written to him as follows :
Dear Sir

This needs to be clarified.

I walked into the Black Horse at about 1235 on Thursday 3rd. October. To my recollection, there was one table at the back on the left hand side occupied by about three people, and one of the people I was meeting was seated in the alcove on the right directly opposite the bar.

The events are exactly as I related them.

Your response is condescending and insulting in its implication that I have made up the events in order to discredit your establishment.

I can assure you that the gentleman who was on duty on the bar at that time had a Scottish accent, or as close to Scottish as might be.

My Scottish £10 note was refused.

I was told that he was not 'doing lunch' that day as he was busy with the other table.

Finally, in respect of your insulting comments about my lowering the value of my investment, I can assure you that I am not in the least concerned about that, and am happy to publicly declare the events on that day as they happened, in fact I may take this to the press.

I have two witnesses who will be able confirm my version of the events.

I have no doubt that my experience was not typical, but as related, it is correct.

Incidentally the website http://www.blackhorserottingdean.com/ referenced on the TripAdvisor site goes to a company producing Greek food.

Should you wish to discuss this, and hopefully this can be done in a civil manner, please call me on +44 xxxxxxx during business hours.

xxxxxxxxxx

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:23 am

You English, perfidious slimy Albions, I put it to you that Scotland will leave because you have become weak and stupid, or maybe because you were always stupid, vide. the Chinese building your nuclear power stations, designing your telephone networks and worst of all buying your steel industry! My mother was an Anglophile and she is rolling in her grave I am sure....

Not necessarily historically correct, but the best of the English are dead and the brain dead seem to apply for the rest here now...

The Russians must be laughing (they have never forgiven you for Balaclava you know) and they know you are alone and the rest of the world will not buy your tea cakes, royal crap and arrogance any more... and the Americans won't help you either for less than the price of your identity.

Bad history I know but this is what happens when you lose allies...

The days of division are over... good men who once fought on you side will leave as this insidious, weak, undemocratic state of play, weakens you every day...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:47 am

As an Ex-Englishman living amongst a bunch of ex-Scotsmen in a place called MacDougall.....I'm saying nowt! ;)))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:56 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:47 am
As an Ex-Englishman living amongst a bunch of ex-Scotsmen in a place called MacDougall.....I'm saying nowt! ;)))
Oh, for goodness sake, good RAF English pilot and later bloody good teacher that you are, even you know that the only person that a Scotsman hates more than an Englishman, is another Scotsman. The neutered moved to Canada and for the rest, they curse everybody from Aberdeen to Kirkwall... :) ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:08 am

Contrary to popular opinion, the inhabitants of PEI from the British Isles, whether of English, Scots, Welsh or Irish origin (and I know people from all of them), are not a neutered lot who fled clearances/potato famines/what-have-you. They almost entirely consist of people who emigrated before those events, from situations which were tolerable but that they thought they could improve on. They are in general a lot more pleasant than those who now inhabit the British Isles. Even the Acadians speak a language that has about 1/3 English words..the Quebecois hate them for that ;)))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:19 am

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:08 am
Contrary to popular opinion, the inhabitants of PEI from the British Isles, whether of English, Scots, Welsh or Irish origin (and I know people from all of them), are not a neutered lot who fled clearances/potato famines/what-have-you. They almost entirely consist of people who emigrated before those events, from situations which were tolerable but that they thought they could improve on. They are in general a lot more pleasant than those who now inhabit the British Isles. Even the Acadians speak a language that has about 1/3 English words..the Quebecois hate them for that ;)))
Sir, I am sure you right. You live in Canada after all. Arcadia and old England after all.

Viva la France but prefer Arcadia...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:30 am

The Congrès mondial Acadien was on PEI this year. My local Co-op is in the Acadian bit - it was packed all summer!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:31 am

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:08 am
Sadly true, this place i.e the UK reminds me of the bloody Weimar Republic, if I had been born at that time.

Sir, take the old English spirit and make another continent your own ,even with the French, the Russians, American trappers, Polish, Czechs, even the Scots etc.. B-)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:42 am

I was in Winnipeg a couple of winters ago. They had a big concert with music from all the main immigrant communities, most of whom have been there over a hundred years. They gave out free tickets to the latest lot of refugees, the Syrian muslims. The two biggest music groups, who got 3 sets each because they come from the largest communities, were the Israelis and the Ukrainians. One suspects the Syrians were not impressed, but that's the way it goes when you're all immigrants (bar the First Nations).

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:01 am

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:42 am
I was in Winnipeg a couple of winters ago. They had a big concert with music from all the main immigrant communities, most of whom have been there over a hundred years. They gave out free tickets to the latest lot of refugees, the Syrian muslims. The two biggest music groups, who got 3 sets each because they come from the largest communities, were the Israelis and the Ukrainians. One suspects the Syrians were not impressed, but that's the way it goes when you're all immigrants (bar the First Nations).
We are all bloody immigrants of one kind or another!

Even the Vikings...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Capetonian

#37 Post by Capetonian » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:32 am

It has taken me a while, although I harboured a strong suspicion, to recognise TheGreen goblin.
I won't blow your cover, my friend.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Woody » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:35 am

A SNP spokesman :D

When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:28 am

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."