Children's Climate protests.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
bob2s
Capt
Capt

Re: Children's Climate protests.

#41 Post by bob2s » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:15 pm

Was a time ,when you could walk past any school and hear some class chanting their times tables,now, most students hesitate when they have to do simple arithmetic in their head. There is too much social engineering being taught and not enough of the three R's

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:56 pm

Social engineering isn't taught, it's dictated. One may not question. There is no education going on.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by BenThere » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:34 am

One of life's experiences is going to Starbucks or McDonalds and the tab is say, $7.55. So you lay out a $10 and .55 in change. Maybe half of the cashiers can figure it out and give you your $3 change in bills. The other half are flummoxed and just don't get it. You watch in amusement until you just take the 55 cents off the counter. Then they can operate. Math skills, even elementary ones, are so important to functioning in life, and are often lacking in the populace.

I have to keep a watch on my wife who will pick up a 4 ounce wedge of aged parmesan cheese at $20 or a 4 ounce bottle of balsamic vinegar for another $20. She doesn't look at the price, but what she wants or catches her impulses. I'm much more careful, and I'm steering us to live on packaged ramen noodles at $0.20 per serving, supplemented by vitamins. So far, she's not buying it, so I'm looking at the potential of a rice diet.

But when I'm in Mexico, we go to the beachside restaurant and we each eat a perfectly cooked, blackened, whole red snapper, about one pound, for about $8-10 US (Bueno Vida, Akumal, Quintana Roo, Mexico).

Slasher

#44 Post by Slasher » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:51 am

I encounter the same thing everywhere Ben. In Honkers I owed 16.30 so gave him 21.30 which would result in a clean 5 buck note in change. Didn’t need rocket math or a bloody calculator to work that out. Silly dick gave me back the .30, then gave me 4.70. Gave that back to him along with the .30 and requested a 5 note. He said he was very happy as he needed coins in his cash register. 🙄

Thing is this guy wasn’t millennial or even Gen Z - he was about 45ish. Dumb dick.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by BenThere » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:19 am

I'm kind of intrigued by the 'Tiny House' movement in the US and I assume elsewhere. Ingenious use of square footage in design and construction makes livable space for two in homes of under 1000 sq feet, or 100 meters. The cost is very low, and if you have an acre or two where you can sink a water well, set up a solar and generator rig, and put in an efficient garden, raise a few chickens, and shoot a deer, you could probably live on next to nothing in rural Tennessee, Kentucky, the Carolinas, and other US locations.

Would that lifestyle be accepted by the Children's Climate Protesters?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:00 am

You try getting a tiny house, especially a mobile one, built under any municipal ordinance, zoning regs and building code. Tiny houses are a fantastic example of:
1) Ridiculously unrealistic promotion of something by the media.
2) Just about every regulation being opposed in practice to what they claim to be trying to promote.
3) Bureaucratic intransigence
4) That government is increasingly interested in taxes and little else.
5) Loss of individual freedom

The only way to do it is Don't Tell Anybody. And have neighbors who won't either.

https://www.curbed.com/2016/9/22/130028 ... egulations

Another example would be waste collection. Reduce your waste to zero and they'll still charge you for collection.

Slasher

#47 Post by Slasher » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:06 am

BenThere wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:19 am
Would that lifestyle be accepted by the Children's Climate Protesters?

Alan Jones from Oz can answer that one Ben. Start at the 0:55 point.

The same comment can be made of spoilt city schoolkids in the States and elsewhere in the West. If and when they ever grow up they’ll realise Thornturd is a useful dickhead of the Left and who’s on the GW gravy train for the rest of her useless life - and they aren’t.

Short answer? Gen Z or whatever they’re called this week wouldn’t be able to handle living in tiny homes. Most likely they’d beg their parents to buy one for ‘em so they can rent it out to those who have no choice but to live in small cheap houses. This’ll give the little weiners extra cash while remaining in mum and dad’s place to add to their welfare/dole benefits.

PS: Forget tiny homes unless you live on your own and want to enjoy a very physically cramped lifestyle.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by ian16th » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:31 am

Because we were brought up in the UK with real money, that is of course £-s-d! and a currency that instead of a progression of 1,2, 5 and 10, we had farthings, halfpennies, 1, 3, 6 penny coins and then shillings, florins half crowns and 10 bob notes.

Are we more mentally agile?

I was reading somewhere recently that race horse sales are still conducted in Guineas!
Ah!
Cynicism improves with age

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#49 Post by k3k3 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:40 am

We were certainly better at mental arithmetic, working in bases 10-12-14-16-20-21-28-112 etc. came easily to us.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#50 Post by Bob » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:01 pm

Of course we have earned the right to criticise these dumbfeck children and their stoopid save the planet ideas.......after all we've made such a **** fantastic job in our tenure, whats to improve?
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Sisemen

#51 Post by Sisemen » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:12 pm

Had one of our friends over for a drink last night. She lives about 300 metres away. She’s a self-proclaimed “lefty”. The subject came around, as usual, to climate change and the children’s strike. We argued the toss that it was all virtue signalling and wouldn’t achieve anything on a pointless subject. She, of course, had a nice long rant and pilloried us for our eyes-closed view of the problem. I then asked her if, as usual, she driven down to our house. That shut her up!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:52 pm

BenThere wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:34 am

But when I'm in Mexico, we go to the beachside restaurant and we each eat a perfectly cooked, blackened, whole red snapper, about one pound, for about $8-10 US (Bueno Vida, Akumal, Quintana Roo, Mexico).
Wow, you are splashing out.

We can walk to our local pub, haddock and chips, haddock off both sides of the plate, £8.95. More chips than we can eat.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Ian, remember a pint of pure water weighs a pound and a quarter.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by BenThere » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 pm

We can walk to our local pub, haddock and chips, haddock off both sides of the plate, £8.95. More chips than we can eat.
That sounds enticing as well, but at Buena Vida we sit at a table on Akumal Bay's white sand beach on the Caribbean Sea. The fish is as fresh as you can get anywhere.

Fish and chips isn't easy to find down there except in the few Irish Pubs around, mostly in Playa del Carmen, our nearest larger city. I sometimes have a craving for it, as does my wife. Excellent chips are everywhere, but a good chunk of battered cod or haddock is hard to find. I've had to learn to live with it.

Next summer we're spending a couple of weeks near Southampton where I'm going to try to look up some of my Cornwall ancestors. (Yes I know it's Hampshire, but close). I'll certainly be loading up on fish and chips along with some cool pints of bitter beer.

Just to add a note about climate change. I've been coming to Yucatan since around 1980, hundreds of trips. The climate hasn't changed one little bit, nor has the sea level. The turtles and reef are still there in Akumal Bay, too. The boring thing if you ask me is that the climate never changes around here - it's always perfect!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:11 pm

some cool pints of bitter beer
I hope that is 'cool' as in fashionably attractive or impressive and not temperature. A good bitter, or ale, needs to be warmer than lager.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:14 pm

Yesterday evening, millennial had her car, a diesel, parked on the pavement engine running. Today, another one, in the hospital car park also engine running. Sod climate, they have no f-ing idea on economics either!

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by BenThere » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:05 pm

That's right, Pontious. I call proper Bitter cool as opposed to cold. I've had many a Bitter pulled in the UK, mostly at RAF Mildenhall. They were warmer than lager, indeed, but not so warm as to be tepid. It was an acquired taste for me, as Americans tend to like their beer ice cold, but I came to like and appreciate it - a lot! Also liked the pint glass it was drawn into, with the convenient scallops in the glass for your fingers and thumbs to grip onto.

That was back in the 70's and 80's and into the early 90's. Along with my enjoyment of Bitter beer at the Mildenhall Officers' Club, I had some fine times (back when the Club was a meeting place) fending off the delightful English girls seeking to make my acquaintance. Sadly, they don't do that anymore.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:14 pm
Yesterday evening, millennial had her car, a diesel, parked on the pavement engine running. Today, another one, in the hospital car park also engine running. Sod climate, they have no f-ing idea on economics either!
PN, I feel this is the issue with most of the eco-freaks or those screaming about climate change: they have no idea about their own carbon foot-print. They just ask the others to deteriorate their life-style.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:25 pm

We were all children once and thus we have to wonder what we have left?

I suspect that we, 50 to 120, are one of the most selfish, arrogant and selfish generations that has ever lived. I suspect not one of the folks here ever, actually, really has seen battle.

Ask your fathers and grandfathers about that before you sneer at the children...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:00 pm

Benthere, those long mugs are long gone. Expensive and a thin glass is much cheaper.