Children's Climate protests.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Children's Climate protests.

#161 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Why all this sanctimonious boasting about how little or not at all various folks are now flying as part of their part in saving the planet?
Apparently aviation contributes between 2-3% of total greenhouse gases so why not start the urgent task with some of the bigger GG producers?
And as for politicos and parties various calling for net zero carbon in 6 years time from where will we get the wiggly amps to charge all the leccy cars, vans and HGVs whilst daddy just home having plugged in his car and leaps into the electric shower as mum also just home having plugged her car in to charge now switches on the electric cooker to do dinner? THEY have decided we will no longer have gas cookers, gas central heating and most certainly no fires or stoves of any kind!
UK wiggly amps current generation capacity has a very low ability now to cope with a calm cold foggy winter which will render the PV panels and wind turbines useless but nuclear is off the menu, all the old coal-fired plant is being decommissioned and gas fired plant will obviously offend the CC protesters.
And from ‘O’ level physics an electric cooker is less efficient fuel-wise for boiling an egg than is the average gas hob.
So I hold my nose when the promises of meeting nebulous Ill-thought out schemes are trotted out by our (barely) governing class.
I pray the UK electorate at least will realise what a useless undemocratic shower of sh1te they are and drain the HoC swamp and elect folks who’ve done a real job and have some real life experience. Else it’s an express handcart to hell!

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#162 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:22 pm

Electricity doesn't have to made from burning irreplaceable hydrocarbons, y'know. There are other ways.

There's all kinds of stuff that we can constructively make with hydrocarbons as a feedstock, not just yachts.

It's the burning of that feedstock which is so bloody stupid and so bloody destructive.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#163 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Not disputing feedstocks various as potential leccy generator fuel but the timescales being mooted are unrealistic.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#164 Post by barkingmad » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Meanwhile, back at the ranch where all the livestock/human crap and feedstock will keep us going;

Although some German villages appear to have found the way ahead but I doubt it would work in Islington or inner Paris or any other major city...........

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#165 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:33 pm

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#166 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:59 am

barkingmad wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:47 pm
calm cold foggy winter which will render the PV panels and wind turbines useless
That is a real problem.

I have a large PV array and a wonky wind turbine and a 222m deep borehole ground source heat pump and two timber-burning boilers, but they are all useless without externally produced wigglies on those bitterly cold winter days with a High pressure system overhead.

Net, I'm an exporter of wigglies, but that's useless on those days as I have no way of storing them. I can store heat in my cluster of seven immersion-heated boilers, but not the leccie to drive the pumps.

My car can store a week's worth of electrical power, but the house can't store a minute's worth. Tesla missed a trick in not allowing us to draw power from the battery to run the house. I've written to them, but got a reply which was written in the Murricane dialect of Gibberish.

Sisemen

#167 Post by Sisemen » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:22 am

TURDBERG.jpg

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#168 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:48 am

For years and years and years I campaigned to have Wangari Ma'athai nominated for the NBP. I personally lobbied every member of the Noggie parliament, and many others, to have her put forward. Eventually, my aspiration succeeded. She won.

Then I started a similar personal project to have the award made to Willie Smits.

Here is the reason why.

Then they gave the Prize to Obama bin Borat. I gave up.

Sisemen

#169 Post by Sisemen » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:52 am

B2BF3F5E-FBC3-49FF-B2B6-B8B9B8819D4C.jpeg

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#170 Post by k3k3 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:04 am

About twenty years ago I looked at having a 100 metre deep ground source heat pump, never have a gas bill again they said, your underfloor heating is ideal they said, what they didn't say was the pump for whatever it is that is pumped a hundred metres down and back up again drew 1.4 kw, constantly. I did the sums and driving this pump would cost more than my gas and electricity bills combined.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#171 Post by OFSO » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Effing Extinction Rebellion blocking main road in centre of Paris. Hundreds of police being tolerant. Our taxi driver was polite but succinct in his views.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#172 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:00 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:04 am
About twenty years ago I looked at having a 100 metre deep ground source heat pump, never have a gas bill again they said, your underfloor heating is ideal they said, what they didn't say was the pump for whatever it is that is pumped a hundred metres down and back up again drew 1.4 kw, constantly. I did the sums and driving this pump would cost more than my gas and electricity bills combined.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#173 Post by k3k3 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:11 pm

I forgot to say that to get the heat pump system up and running, purchase and installation, would have cost around DM 20,000.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#174 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:15 pm

I've got one of those things. 222m deep.

It pulls a little over 2kW of electrical power and produces just under 9kW gross of heat, so more than 6kW net of energy won.

That looks good on paper and is OK in Autumn and Spring, but on those bitterly cold winter days I have to buy power from the grid to run the damn thing. During power cuts, which most often happen when one most needs the power, I'm ****.

Tesla sells a wall-mounted battery, but it is feeble and very expensive. I wanted to buy a 100kW battery, just like the one they make for their cars, but they won't sell me one, nor will they sell me any kit to draw domestic power from my car battery which is the obvious way for me to store my excess wigglies. Bastards. ****q. Californian ****q, or did I repeat myself?

Another drawback of the heat well is that after ten or twenty days of continuous use at max continuous it exhausts its surrounding heat and requires a few days of 'rest' before it can continue.

At the time I was specifying the well, I knew little of the practicalities of these things, so when I negotiated with the drilling contractor I disclosed the size of the bucket of money I was prepared to pay and asked him how deep a well he could drill for that bucket. 222m was the answer so that's what I've got.

With the benefit of hindsight; and a decade of practical experience; and with my expensively gained knowledge of the local rock/water strata, I'd have ordered two or three wells of about 60m depth, spaced around the house at about 120° so that the heat exhaustion thing would not be a factor.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#175 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:35 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:11 pm
I forgot to say that to get the heat pump system up and running, purchase and installation, would have cost around DM 20,000.
I forgot to say that the percussion drilling through the shallow layers of whinstone (dolorite) caused most of my Meissen and Dresden china to topple and crash.

The irony of the Dresden loss did not entirely escape me, though I did have a momentary loss of sense of humour. ;)))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#176 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:01 pm

Watching F1, it occurs to me that little Greta would cream herself all that rubber being scrubbed off, hydrocarbons converted to noise, Avtur being burnt creating chemtrails around the world just moving teams, and more moving the spectators.

All that money that could be scattered over Africa so they could make more babies.

Capetonian

#177 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Just in case I needed another reason to like Mr. Clarkson ........... here it is :
Former 'Top Gear' host Jeremy Clarkson told climate activist Greta Thunberg to 'be a good girl' and 'shut up'

The former "Top Gear" presenter Jeremy Clarkson criticised 16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg in an op-ed article in the UK tabloid The Sun on Friday, following her address at the United Nations Climate Action Summit.
Clarkson described Thunberg's speech as a "full-on adolescent meltdown," called her a "spoilt brat," and told her to "be a good girl" and "shut up".
Clarkson was sacked from "Top Gear" in 2015 after the BBC concluded an investigation into "an unprovoked physical and verbal attack" by him against a member of the show's production staff. He has also made various offensive gaffes over the years.
Thunberg, on the other hand, has emerged - at 16 years old - as the face of global action on climate change.

The former "Top Gear" presenter Jeremy Clarkson lambasted the climate activist Greta Thunberg in a scathing op-ed article in the UK tabloid The Sun on Friday, following the 16-year-old's address at the United Nations Climate Action Summit.

Thunberg gave an emotional speech chastising world leaders and imploring them to actually do something to address climate change.

"This is all wrong. I shouldn't be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean," she said. "Yet you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you! You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words."

Thunberg was celebrated across the world for her climate activism. But Clarkson described her UN address as a "full-on adolescent meltdown."

"How dare we?" Clarkson wrote. "No. How dare you sail to America on a carbon fibre yacht that you didn't build which cost £15 million, that you didn't earn, and which has a back-up diesel engine that you didn't mention."

Clarkson went on to call Thunberg a "spoilt brat," adding: "When you told your mum and dad to stop using planes and give up meat, they didn't behave like sane parents and ignore you. They actually said, 'Yes, dear.' And did."

He concluded: "Many thousands of people who you had the temerity to blame this week are trying to do exactly what you want. So be a good girl, shut up and let them get on with it. And no. You cannot stay out past ten. And you cannot go out in a skirt that short."

While he was once famous globally for his job as a "Top Gear" presenter, Clarkson has been bogged down by controversy. In 2015, for instance, Clarkson was sacked after the BBC concluded an investigation into "an unprovoked physical and verbal attack" by him against a member of the show's production staff. He now hosts Amazon's "Grand Tour," which is in its third season.

He's made a slew of offensive gaffes over the years, such as joking that killing prostitutes is a pastime for professional truck drivers (prompting a Labour MP to demand he be fired); calling former Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who is blind in his left eye, a "one-eyed Scottish idiot"; saying that television producers have "black Muslim lesbians" on programs to balance the number of white heterosexual men; and seemingly promoting drunk driving by sipping a gin and tonic while driving during an episode.

Much of Clarkson's obnoxiousness is performative - part of his image, which he carefully crafts. His newspaper columns for The Sun and The Times deliberately troll liberal readers.

Thunberg, on the other hand, has - as a teenager - become the face of global action on climate change, spurring an estimated 4 million people in 161 countries to take to the streets last month in what was likely the largest climate-change demonstration in history.

She started the "Fridays for Future" movement in 2018, encouraging students to skip school to demand action from their governments, and has since delivered impassioned speeches and led protests in an effort to spark substantial change.

In March, she was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for having launched what the Norwegian lawmaker Freddy Andre Ovstegard described to The Guardian as "a mass movement which I see as a major contribution to peace."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#178 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Much of Clarkson's obnoxiousness is performative - part of his image, which he carefully crafts.

Yup. Very formulaic.

And on that note, it's goodnight from me. Goodnight.

Slasher

#179 Post by Slasher » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:25 pm

spurring an estimated 4 million people in 161 countries to take to the streets last month
So we know there are at least 4 million confirmed **** in 161 nations that we’re forced to share the world with. That works out to 24,844.72 GW morons / country.

Based on the above arithmetical average I reckon the journo has severely underestimated the entire number registered on the GW **** Index.

Sisemen

#180 Post by Sisemen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:08 am

My estimation of Clarkson keeps going up :-bd
BE9812F4-0450-47FD-BBCC-9D51D8070584.jpeg