Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
prospector
Capt
Capt

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#41 Post by prospector » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:26 am

Maybe we will get an interpretation of those posts and video when whatever he/she was gobling wears off

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#42 Post by FD2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:31 am

John Hill - Pick a date you would like to reset to?

I would personally fancy the early 1960s John, though I wouldn't like to lose the advances in medicine since then. It would be before nuclear proliferation, mass migration, AIDS, Facebook etc., and penicillin could cure lots of things ;)))

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:55 am

I was thinking the same thing FD2. Being in the RAF in the sixties was truly magic. A time when postings were listed on the flight noticeboard, and a typical response was "where the f*** is that". A good mate heading for El Adem, and another to Labuan, whilst a third was off to Goose Bay. And against your own name Geilenkirchen, crossed out and Sharjah in it's place. Yeh!! exciting times. It was truly magic.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by John Hill » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:32 am

Yes, the 60's can be remembered fondly by those who were young at the time but don't forget the 60's was also famines in China (maybe millions died), the Beatles and the Vietnam war. But could have been much worse just imagine if Project Pluto had gone full cycle.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Slasher

#45 Post by Slasher » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:29 am

Bung me down for1955. No stinking handphones, women knew their place, big tits were in, poofters were in the closet and life was more straightforward and simpler.

DC3s abounded too! :)

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by John Hill » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:34 am

1955, England defeated Oz in the Ashes.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Slasher

#47 Post by Slasher » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 am

I didn’t say 1955 was perfect but it’d certainly do me!

Cricket was real cricket back then and sportsmanship was the order of the day. Since England was the better side then congrats to them for a good fine effort.

Bloody Poms! :p

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by ian16th » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:51 am

Slasher wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 am
I didn’t say 1955 was perfect but it’d certainly do me!

Cricket was real cricket back then and sportsmanship was the order of the day. Since England was the better side then congrats to them for a good fine effort.

Bloody Poms! :p
It was a series played between 2 damned good teams!

Oh I wish we had satellite TV in them days.
Cynicism improves with age

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by FD2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:29 am

Alisoncc - I was thinking the same thing FD2. Being in the RAF in the sixties was truly magic.

Yes, and the Navy was the same, jobs all around the world, a fleet to still be proud of before the 'peace dividend' kicked in, operating with Commonwealth and NATO ships and visits to exotic ports without having to sit in an airliner to get there!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:42 am

I live in the 1950s/60s here.
Drive in movies, everybody polite, almost non-existent paperwork, roadside 'honesty' stalls, I don't lock up (I don't even know where my house keys are).
It's great.
There is a lot of hard work though, but I find it's good for my health.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by ian16th » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:47 am

Being old, :( most of my service was in the 50's.

When I graduated from Boy's service and sent on my 1st posting to Bomber Command Bombing School at RAF Lindholme, I was somewhat jealous of my colleagues who had been posted to operational units with these newfangled jet engined a/c, such as Meteors and Canberra's.

Little did I realise that many years later, I would be considered to have been one of the lucky ones, because the sound of 4 Rolls Royce Merlins was my standard background noise for 2 and a half years. Interspersed of course with the coughing and spluttering of the Bristol Hercules when a Varsity started up.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by OFSO » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:06 pm

Indeed. The roaring and whistling in my ears today reminds me of RAF Cottesmore and 20th TAC at Bruntingthorpe 54 years ago. Had I known would I have forsworn the experience ? Doubt it.

Sisemen

#53 Post by Sisemen » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:02 pm

I must admit, the late 60s with the full V bomber fleet and a large Air Force with a huge variety of aircraft, certainly holds attractions. You certainly knew where you were with the threat of instant nuclear obliteration :D

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:49 pm

I knew where I would be:
Either already deployed to some remote airstrip at least a couple of hundred miles from the nearest target, or heading that way supersonic.
As a schoolboy, I took the trouble to find out who would actually be getting the "four minute warning", and made myself (a) one of those, and (b) very rapidly mobile. Bitter mornings by the school's own war memorial taught me that would be a good idea. I was happy to risk dying fighting for the cause, but not to just sit there and get annihilated.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by boing » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:40 pm

Interspersed of course with the coughing and spluttering of the Bristol Hercules when a Varsity started up.
Yep, what was done to the Varsities by Jet Provost graduates who had only ever pushed a button to start the engine was indeed cruelty. The Varsity with its 4 bladed 14 foot diameter propeller took a major issue of finesse to start nicely on a cold day. Aircraft preparing for the early morning departures on the line at Oakington on a cold morning could be seen bouncing up and down on their oleos as the students cleverly failed to find the right timer to hit the primer button as the engine faltered on start-up.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by boing » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:46 pm

I figure a nice big epidemic is the way to go, more democratic. Of course, it does not need to be equally spread over the whole face of the Earth.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by ian16th » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:51 pm

boing wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:40 pm
Interspersed of course with the coughing and spluttering of the Bristol Hercules when a Varsity started up.
Yep, what was done to the Varsities by Jet Provost graduates who had only ever pushed a button to start the engine was indeed cruelty. The Varsity with its 4 bladed 14 foot diameter propeller took a major issue of finesse to start nicely on a cold day. Aircraft preparing for the early morning departures on the line at Oakington on a cold morning could be seen bouncing up and down on their oleos as the students cleverly failed to find the right timer to hit the primer button as the engine faltered on start-up.
At Lindholme we trained baby Nav's to drop bombs, the pilots were all old hands. But probably p*ssed of with the assignment!

Back in 1954, a lot of them were Polish WWII NCO aircrew veterans.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by BenThere » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:00 pm

Just throwing out an idea, not taking sides, but say the apocalypse is staring us in the face and humanity is at risk. Will the the rich white people or poor non-white people stand the best chance of survival?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by FD2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:25 pm

Think it might be subject to the kind of calamity it is Ben. Rich people can get into their well stocked bunkers and poor are used to surviving on very little in the Third World, but nuclear war may get everything except the cockroaches.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by BenThere » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:38 pm

But the bombs aren't aimed everywhere, only at places where bombs come from and their supporting societies. While I would feel the effects of total global war at my Tulum, Mexico hideaway, I think my odds of survival are higher than most. Tulum is not a target.