Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#61 Post by FD2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:50 pm

But the radiation fallout would get you if enough weapons were used. It may not just be the incineration of Iran or North Korea or Pakistan. They may fall on the 'righteous' too.

prospector
Capt
Capt

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#62 Post by prospector » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Neville Shutes "On the Beach" was a good read many years ago. One can only hope it does not turn out to be a prophecy.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by BenThere » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:44 pm

One of the features of the Yucatan Peninsula is an abundance of cenotes, underground caverns with almost unlimited fresh water. That's probably where you'll find me at the end of days. I'm in the process of laying in a one year supply of tequila, salt, lime juice and Schweppes.

Also I have three compadres in Tulum and we're discussing the idea of collectively buying 100 or so hectares of land away from the ocean, in the interior, where it is unbelievably cheap, as low as $200/hectare, but lush jungle, with water, and space to store our stuff, build a man-cave, and 20 minutes from where we live. We're talking about free range chickens, donkeys, organic gardens, our own private cenote. This shared property would be always accessible to each of us, and would have 3 private bedrooms. We're thinking the cost of doing all this would be about $50,000US each.

Maybe we'll build a fallout shelter on the extra land.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by boing » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:24 am

"On the Beach" , great book. The part I love is when the local trout fishing club have a great debate about whether they should go for some last chance fishing although it was out of season. The decision was made NOT to fish. I love it.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Slasher

#65 Post by Slasher » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:08 am

Yes a good movie too. Book was waaay better.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by John Hill » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:16 am

Resource wars will kill off any survivors.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Slasher

#67 Post by Slasher » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:53 am

I partly read yonks ago a fictional book called Down To A Sunless Sea (the author whose name escapes me). It was set in the then future of 1985 and narrated by an ‘Air Britain’ captain flying a five-engined B797). It started off as an interesting yarn.

I read the story until it reached a point where it said that due to the nuclear exchanges all mainly in the Northern hemisphere, and the Earth was rotating and all exchanged hits were made at the same point relative to a fixed ref frame of Earth, the planet’s axis tilted due to the gyroscopic effect. This meant the nuclear fallout cloud would eventually reach the South Pole’s McMurdo Base that they flew the 797 to in order to survive.

It was then I threw the book away. Some beliefs just can’t be suspended for the sake of fiction. ***** bummer ending too.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by John Hill » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:46 am

It may take quite a while for toxic atmospheric contamination in one hemisphere to mix in tropical updrafts to cross to the Hadley cell on the other side of the equator, even longer to go through another couple of cell boundaries to reach the Antarctic so McMurdo base may offer a chance for longer survival.

If TSDHTF I will stock up my yacht and sail south to occupy the abandoned but perfectly preserved highly secret Nazi Antarctic base that I read about on the Internet.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by boing » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:54 am

In the majority of scenarios the first major survival problem will be that urban areas will run out of food. Depending on the exact disaster these areas may also run out of water. The result will be an attempted flight to rural areas but the ability to flee will be inhibited by a rapid shortage of motor fuel and traffic blockages. Some scenarios imagine the government moving in at this point and deliberately restricting population movement, regardless of the death toll this causes, in an attempt to keep control of the population. Regardless, the impossible conditions in urban areas will cause civil unrest within a week and only the ruthless will avoid the suffering.

Rural areas will be in a slightly better position because there will be a limited supply of food that it has not been possible to supply to the urban areas. This slight advantage will not last long because food will be hoarded and its owners attacked by the desperate.

Lest anyone believes that only a major environmental disaster or warfare could lead to this situation then think again, the mere long term loss of electricity caused by disruption of the national supply grid would be sufficient. A hundred disaffected people with enough explosives could do the job. Major components of the power distribution systems are not held in reserve. Pylon systems require fuel, transportation and manpower to repair never mind the shortage of hardware. Is a technician going to leave his family at home and in possible danger to make a pointless attempt to restore miles of power distribution lines?

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:42 am

boing wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:54 am
. Some scenarios imagine the government moving in at this point and deliberately restricting population movement, regardless of the death toll this causes, in an attempt to keep control of the population.
Some say that this action may / must be taken sooner to protect borders from unwelcome people of a certain religion of peace and freedom

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Slasher wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:29 am
Bung me down for 1955. No stinking handphones, women knew their place, big tits were in, poofters were in the closet and life was more straightforward and simpler.
1959 was a good year for camel chiropody too.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:53 am

There are believed to be significant familiarities between human physiology and that of pigs. African Swine Fever is gaining huge numbers of converts in large areas of Asia. Could the virus make the jump?

China has lost 100 million pigs to African swine fever. Now ...
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

prospector
Capt
Capt

#73 Post by prospector » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:49 am

And there is now quite a few millions being lost to anti biotic resistant bacteria. And the number is likely to multiply rapidly in the near furure.

Slasher

#74 Post by Slasher » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:42 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:26 pm
camel chiropody
=))

You can be a real cunny funt at times mate!

Just had a mouthful of Glamis (mixed with snot) exit my sniffing gear at Mach 1. The barman is presently wiping up the mess on the counter (and the dribbling bits at the edge) with a **** look.

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#75 Post by SOPS » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:31 am

The way Northern Africa is currently invading Europe and the way some are assisting them to arrive, it wont take much for an out break of Ebola or some other exotic disease to occur. I’m amazed it has not happened already. And when it does I’m betting the European medical system will be quickly overrun.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:59 am

Seems like the EU will spontaneously implode if the NornIron border is re-established on the “Ayeland of Orland”?

Why don’t they just say Ireland and forget the geology lesson?

Back to overpopulation there were muttering of a move some years ago to put Il Papa, the then big cheese in the Vatican, on trial at The Hague for genocide due to the ban on the use of condoms in turd world countries. The resultant HIV, infant and famine death rates were all going to be on the charge sheet.

One wonders why it never came to pass. Friends in high places perhaps?

prospector
Capt
Capt

#77 Post by prospector » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:56 pm

Looks like the Southern American border will not be the only one overrun.

https://www.rt.com/news/470330-europe-n ... aign=Email

Slasher

#78 Post by Slasher » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 am

barkingmad wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:59 am
Back to overpopulation there were muttering of a move some years ago to put Il Papa, the then big cheese in the Vatican, on trial at The Hague for genocide due to the ban on the use of condoms in turd world countries.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by barkingmad » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:46 pm

Slasher, +1 and very funny!!

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#80 Post by Stoneboat » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:53 am
There are believed to be significant familiarities between human physiology and that of pigs. African Swine Fever is gaining huge numbers of converts in large areas of Asia. Could the virus make the jump?

China has lost 100 million pigs to African swine fever. Now ...
Further to that...

Kim Jong Un may be hiding a hog apocalypse