Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:50 am

Believe our civilisation is currently in need of a major war, a world wide epidemic and/or a natural disaster of epic proportions. Something to focus the mind away from the petty day-to-day personal agendas that everyone seems to dwell on.

What with the financial pundits forecasting another GFC/Recession on a daily basis. Governments scrabbling about in the dirt to save having to do anything meaningful. UK MP's with personal agendas re: Brexit, the US with impeachment, trade wars and Trump totally oblivious to civilised norms, Australia with royal commissions to just delay decisions, South America burning the Amazon forests, China with war crimes against the Uyghurs, Hong Kong, etc, etc. One must admit "It's a bloody mess". And that's ignoring climate change. It's changing irrespective of what one believes to be the reason.

My favourite would be an epidemic, a bit like Spanish Flu, or a more infectious variant of Ebola well entrenched in China or India. Mind you the West Coast of the US sliding into the sea has potential. Especially if the Tsunami is of monumental proportions that reaches all the way across the Pacific.

World needs a defibrillator shock to get things running properly again, or pronounce it bloody dead.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#2 Post by OFSO » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:09 am

Absolutely, agree, soon as possible. 'Natural' disaster such as epidemic better than war.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#3 Post by unifoxos » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:17 am

Here in the UK we can only grow enough food to support half of our population. We are going to be totally exposed in the event of any major catastrophe, whatever it is. Oil running out or global financial meltdown? No transport for food, and no oil to operate our own farms either. Ebola or some other pandemic? Even if we avoid catching it here it will either effect the places it is grown, or the transport routes will be closed to try and avoid spreading it (or because there is nobody to operate them). Whatever it is half of us will starve.

So not an enticing prospect, your idea of a major disaster, but I agree that the world needs it.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Capetonian

#4 Post by Capetonian » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 am

I agree. My ideal scenario would be a disease that makes about 90% of black Africans infertile. No pain, no suffering, they would simply stop breeding like flies and over a period of time the population would be drastically reduced.

We need some to remain, to be 'hewers of wood and drawers of water, used solely for manual labour or menial tasks at the behest of others.'

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by k3k3 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:14 am

Joshua 9:21

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:31 am

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 am
I agree. My ideal scenario would be a disease that makes about 90% of black Africans infertile. No pain, no suffering, they would simply stop breeding like flies and over a period of time the population would be drastically reduced.

We need some to remain, to be 'hewers of wood and drawers of water, used solely for manual labour or menial tasks at the behest of others.'
You are so politically wrong I would be tempted to vote for you as President of the EU.

Capetonian

#7 Post by Capetonian » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 am

Please don't, it's not a job I would want!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by ian16th » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:58 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:31 am
Capetonian wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 am

You are so politically wrong I would be tempted to vote for you as President of the EU.
But you don't have a vote in any such election.
Cynicism improves with age

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Karearea » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 am

I've heard this wish for a major war etc etc expressed once before in my life, by a boy in my class at school when we were ten years old.

Slasher

#10 Post by Slasher » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:07 am

I favour War. Period. Always have. Epidemics like Ebola etc can kill unintended people in other countries. Well-placed bombs destroy what and who you need wiped off the map.

Cry “Havoc!” and let loose the African and M.E. doggies at each other I say. [-(

Sisemen

#11 Post by Sisemen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:12 am

And a good war puts life back into an economy as well as advancing technical progress at a phenomenal rate.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:06 am

Karearea wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 am
I've heard this wish for a major war etc etc expressed once before in my life, by a boy in my class at school when we were ten years old.
And your point is, K?
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:24 am

The problem is catastrophes is they tend not to get rid of who one really needs to get rid of.
I have a very long list ;)))

I would guess K's comment was heard in early 1939.

Ebola still ticking along in DRC. Another major punchup last week with facilities in one area closed, which usually ups the number of cases and spread.
https://www.who.int/csr/don/19-septembe ... la-drc/en/

MERS could kick off again if there's a war with Saudi involved
https://www.who.int/emergencies/mers-cov/en/

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:07 pm

Maybe a collection of smaller events would be more suitable?

e.g.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by OFSO » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:28 pm

Cape, I read aloud your initial post to Mrs OFSO, telling her it was from you. Before I got to the words "black Africans" my wife had said the word "French". You have disappointed her.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by om15 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:47 pm

A Jeremy Corbin led Government should be able to achieve most of your desired objectives in record time.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:33 pm

I blame medical science. First I will declare an interest. Without MS I would probably be dead. If not dead at least with a massive scar.

Many babies would die early. Babies with severe defects would not survive. Infertile people could not produce babies. Same sex couples could not procreate. Nature's cure would have reduced some sectors of society by 90%.

Gay would mean happy.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by BenThere » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:23 pm

I can't come to the conclusion that the world needs a mass extermination of human beings to right itself. I can, however, take issue with the current redistribution of wealth, food aid included, to societies that can't feed or otherwise sustain themselves. Those are the societies, in general, that have the highest birth rates, while the providing and enabling societies feed them. I'd rather let Darwinism apply itself naturally to restore natural balance.

As the providing societies are going broke, the sustainability of the status quo is in question.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:25 pm

Ben, and that applies in our countries too.