Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#101 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:20 am
Utter b#llocks. Trump is not getting involved in stupid, pointless wars. The article cites Libya. Well, the West already went in once, under Obama, and the situation is even worse than if they hadn't. What, exactly, does the idiot writing this article want? And why does he expect the outcome to be different?
Feel better now Fox, having got that off your chest.

You totally missed the point of the article. I am sure that each lemming has it's own reason for jumping off a cliff, but what is of concern is why they all choose to do it at the same time. What I read is that there is a significant overall instability in global affairs which is only going to get worse.

Protests from Hong Kong to Lebanon, Iran to France, South America to Iraq, etc. etc. With the US seeking to use trade as an economic weapon, against China, Iran, North Korea, the EU, Brazil, etc., etc. Perhaps Trump should just declare war against everyone and get it over with.

I am writing this with the acrid smell and taste of burning bush in my nose and mouth, whilst having just finished reading that nearly the whole of the South East Coast of Australia has level two water restrictions in place as our dams and rivers dry up. Some inland towns are having to truck water in. The BoM are forecasting little likelihood of any serious rain until April of next year. This is what climate change is all about - extreme weather conditions. This not some academic exercise, this is our reality, with 750 homes already destroyed by fire in my State alone, and Summer has only just started - 10 days in.

So enjoy your luddite fantasies. Do let us know when the polar bears start invading your property.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#102 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:48 pm

What I read is that there is a significant overall instability in global affairs which is only going to get worse.
This is clearly true. My point is that all the underlying reasons given are wrong. And that's also my point about the AGW argument to explain climate change.

Trump is using tariffs to, as he sees it, better the economic situation of the American people. It's legal. It's a tool. You are calling it a weapon because you don't like the consequences. I get called a Climate Change Denier because...I agree the climate is changing. Argument also becomes impossible when people are speaking different languages.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#103 Post by barkingmad » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:46 am

Epic Natural Disaster on the way already? Though there’ll be a few slimmer before the apocalypse!

World 'faces 80% calorie increase by end of century' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50856049

A badly phrased headline but I trust you get the gist?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#104 Post by Boac » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:48 am

Food for thought.

Slasher

#105 Post by Slasher » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:31 am

Didn’t bother seeing the clip as I won’t be around by then anyway.

If I am then I won’t smell too good that’s for sure.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#106 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:51 pm

Hey, its on it's way. "China pneumonia outbreak: Mystery virus probed in Wuhan".
Chinese authorities have launched an investigation into a mysterious viral pneumonia which has infected dozens of people in the central city of Wuhan.

A total of 44 cases have been confirmed so far, 11 of which are considered "severe", officials said on Friday.

The outbreak has prompted Singapore and Hong Kong to bring in screening processes for travellers from the city.

It comes amid online fears the virus could be linked to Sars, or severe acute respiratory syndrome.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50984025

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#107 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:37 pm

Are we now about to get our major war?

Strangely, I don't feel afraid - not like I felt about the Cuban missile crisis.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#108 Post by boing » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:12 pm

Since it now seems that our dear leader is safe from the Australian wildfires I can't help pointing out that she has now experienced one of the very calamities that she, obviously speculatively, suggested the World needed. I think someone said "Karma is a bitch".

The Australian fires teach us that in World disasters, although they seem remote and do not effect us much, someones friends and families are going to die. Perhaps we should encourage less violent ways of controlling population but I have a feeling that in the end due to the stupidity of mankind the disasters may be the only way left to go.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#109 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:43 pm

It's basic human nature, connected to the way the brain forms memories, and reasons. It's difficult to convince people they are wrong when they have the option of not listening, even if you have reality to point to. It's even harder in complex situations, and almost impossible when they've already had their mind changed once.
And when those people you need to convince are in authority, and especially when them being wrong will likely result in their losing their livelihoods, then a revolution becomes almost the only option. If one is really lucky, some mildly nasty event happens that doesn't kill everyone but wakes them up to the threat and gives them the determination to do something about it. Such events are less likely to have a transformative effect in the face of a fatalistic religion, Insh' Allah.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#110 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:55 pm

boing wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:12 pm
Since it now seems that our dear leader is safe from the Australian wildfires I can't help pointing out that she has now experienced one of the very calamities that she, obviously speculatively, suggested the World needed. I think someone said "Karma is a bitch".
Minimal casualties. No good at all. Unless it was just a practise for the Northern hemisphere later when a few million would be needed.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#111 Post by BenThere » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:42 am

Seems there are two factions as to the cause of Australia's inferno. One says it is climate change while the other says it is forest mismanagement caused by leaving dead trees and undergrowth untouched and un-groomed, as dictated by the Greens, fueling the flames.

I tend to favor the latter point of view as the climate hasn't changed much.

Slasher

#112 Post by Slasher » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:42 am

You forget it’s man made climate change the idiot faction pushes Ben. It hasn’t a clue about what Nature actually does and that if the climate didn’t change on a macro and micro level every day every millennium and every aeon then there’d be a real problem.

I don’t see nor read of any mass street demos in Straya protesting against the bush fires, obviously because the local Greenies and left wing retards know they’re well and truly in the wrong. I don’t know if the greater Unwashed down there will cotton on but I suspect only a minority will. ‘It’s bluddy climate change mate that corzed them fires cos the bluddy ABC and The Age said so right? Right. Why’d they ***** us ay? It’s all the friggin Libs fault right? Right. Now pleze mate...don’t make me goan belcha head in by sayin’ it snot ya stoopid drongo!’ (exact same meme as the baby Chamberlain case that ‘divided Australia’ so the ABC spruked said back then).

That 16yo psycho Swedish bitch hasn’t said boo either (I think) which sorta QED’s the argument to an extent.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#113 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Over 200 people arrested in Australia so far for starting bushfires. 83% have been attributed to humans, either deliberate or accidental. The rest are mainly lightning. It is neither climate change nor bush management that is primarily to blame.
That is the same in Canada, with almost all recent major wildfires attributed to humans, and is certainly the case on PEI. Even on my own property, where a barn burnt down from a lightning strike in 1943, it was primarily human-caused. The hayloft was being loaded from an elevator during a thunderstorm. Readers will remember the design of the van der graaf generator is a rotating rubber belt brushed by dry materials. A metal-framed hay elevator is the best static electricity generator imaginable, just begging for a lightning strike.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#114 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:53 pm

Slasher wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:42 am
That 16yo psycho Swedish bitch hasn’t said boo either (I think) which sorta QED’s the argument to an extent.
Australian government's lack of "political action".

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#115 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:11 pm

What is the point of a human starting a fine in the dry season that I can go out of hand - major stupidity excluded? And even there is one stupid one to start a large fire he will be good example for those down the line not to follow!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#116 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:17 pm

The most common reasons here according to newspaper reports - which most of us would doubtless class as major stupidity but don't appear to be so to some - are:
Refueling a hot lawnmower or similar and spilling some, starting a fire in the surrounding grass.
Deliberately starting a small grass fire to burn it off, but the wind suddenly springs up.
Some outdoor operation with a blow torch or welding torch, like paint removal or re-roofing or car bodywork, where the torch or the hot stuff falling off starts a fire

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#117 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:26 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:17 pm
The most common reasons here according to newspaper reports - which most of us would doubtless class as major stupidity but don't appear to be so to some - are:
Refueling a hot lawnmower or similar and spilling some, starting a fire in the surrounding grass.
Deliberately starting a small grass fire to burn it off, but the wind suddenly springs up.
Some outdoor operation with a blow torch or welding torch, like paint removal or re-roofing or car bodywork, where the torch or the hot stuff falling off starts a fire
And then there are those who want to see fire and/or fire services in action:-
To prevent wildfire arson, it’s important to understand what motivates arsonists to commit this crime.

If you want to understand them, try understanding those who carry out acts of vandalism.
Destroying play facilities for children (especially for children with 'special needs') is beyond the comprehension of most people - but it happens:-
vandals destroy play equipment

vandals destroy special needs play equipment

Slasher

#118 Post by Slasher » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:46 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:53 pm
Slasher wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:42 am
Australian government's lack of "political action".
Thanks. Stupid arrogant moll talked a lot but said nothing. Her scriptors appealing to emotion and nothing else.

admin
Chief Engineer

#119 Post by admin » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:21 pm

Yesterday was a bad day for me. A couple of floatplanes were dipping the river below my place for most of yesterday. They were water bombing a flare up of our local fire. The floatplanes were some ancient variety with big radial engines, similar to a Harvard, and the noise was unbelievable. The moment the bucket hit the water they would go to full thrust.

With the media having a field day, the more graphic and destructive the flames the better, the constant reminder from the aircraft noise, and scenes of places I used to frequent burnt out, together were really stressing me out. Overall it would have had to have been one of my worst days since all the drama started.

Then I get a bunch of wankers on this forum, all seeing themselves as experts on Australian bushfires. Ex-spurts being drips under pressure. None of whom would have a **** clue.

South East Australia has massive great tracts of unexplored land. Land that has never been trodden by human foot. The trees are Eucalypts which exude OIL in great quantities. So we have land piled high with incredibly flammable undergrowth. Most of the country is drought declared. Farmers stating they haven't had decent rain in years. THE WHOLE OF THE COUNTRY IS A TINDER BOX.

Someone wrote of filling hot lawnmowers as a cause. There ain't no grass mate, it's all dead. Deliberately starting a small grass fire. There ain't no grass to burn. Started by people, you must be kidding. Often there are no people for hundreds of miles.

We get a lot of DRY LIGHTNING, and I mean a lot. That's thunder storms with no rain, just thunder and immense lightning strikes. Dry lightning strikes would amount to 99.9% of all fires started.

The area of my State burnt out is more than TWICE the area of Wales. People talk about "fuel load", imagine if you will if sheep poo was an incendiary, what labour force would be required to clear every possible bit from an area twice the size of Wales. Tens of thousands perhaps. We have neither the population nor the budget. So clearing the "fuel load" is not an option. Blaming the greenies is just plain stupid.

What has happened in Australia is exactly what has been forecast by climate change scientists. Whole countries that will be ravaged by drought and fire. But it's not going to happen because your golf course in Esher hasn't shown any signs at all of such. #:-S :(

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#120 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 pm

A surprising number of fires here are started by vehicles pulling off the road into tall, dry grass with hot engine/brakes causing the fire. Another surprising cause is sparks from dragging safety chains on trailers.

PP