Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
admin
Chief Engineer

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#121 Post by admin » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:27 pm

I might point out that one of the reasons why Australian bush fires grow so huge is that they often start in wholly inaccessable places, ie. miles from human habitation with no roads, sealed or otherwise.

Whilst water bombing aircraft are effective in such cases, they do need WATER. Which is in short supply. So many dams, reservoirs, lakes and rivers, etc. have all dried up, and being hundreds of miles inland, even the sea isn't an option.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#122 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:53 am

PHXPhlyer and admin thanks to both for further enhancing the understanding of the issue here particularly the implication of vehicles. admin, I would still favour the use of the Russian jet powered water bomber which can fly faster hence reaching further inland from the ocean and its unlimited supply of water.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#123 Post by BenThere » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:45 am

even the sea isn't an option
Using sea water introduces salt contamination of the soil. That may be an attractive alternative when desperate, but fresh water sources are the best.

As an aside, has Australia embraced the building of more dams and reservoirs to capture the water it has? I know for a fact, first hand, that it rains copious amounts in Queensland and NT, and the rivers in the wet season send torrents of fresh water. Has Australia paid enough attention to building dams and reservoirs?

Not to make you jealous but in Michigan, my primary home, we are surrounded by the US Great Lakes, unlimited fresh water.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#124 Post by probes » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:40 am

I hadn't thought of salt contamination. Has it happened anywhere, and what can be done about it?

But, the title of the thread seems to be prophetic - epic events happening just one by one.

Slasher

#125 Post by Slasher » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:17 am

Yep. Need all three at once really to have any measurable effect.

I still favour a full-out balls to the wall war over the rest though. Snowflakery, AGW and all similar sh!t would virtually disappear overnight IMO.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#126 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:54 am

Just read the New Zealand sent over five of its eight ΝΗ-90 choppers. Thus now I have a question: how come and the situation is so unique to Australia and not to New Zealand a country not too far away in Climate Change terms?

Slasher

#127 Post by Slasher » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:02 am

Probly because NZ doesn’t experience Dry Continental phenomena like Oz does RiS.

Sorry...in my humble SCPL/ATPL Climatology’d opinion.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#128 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:13 am

NZ is experiencing anomalous anticyclone conditions off the east coast.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12296684
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Slasher

#129 Post by Slasher » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:31 am

Very good Gob. As I read that I was waiting for the inevitable ‘blame it on man made GW’ but instead saw
"I wouldn't call it a sign of global warming or anything like that, it's just what happens sometimes in the ocean. As far as I am aware it's just a patch of water that's had a lot of sunny skies and not much wind.
Maybe the NZ Herald is a worthwhile reference...IMHO.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#130 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks to both of you for breaking the close correlation between climate change and Australian fires.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#131 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:43 pm

Slasher wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:31 am

Very good Gob. As I read that I was waiting for the inevitable ‘blame it on man made GW’ but instead saw
"I wouldn't call it a sign of global warming or anything like that, it's just what happens sometimes in the ocean. As far as I am aware it's just a patch of water that's had a lot of sunny skies and not much wind.
Always keen to keep out of hot water these days... I think there is some strong evidence for AGW but also believe in the scientific method and am loath to make pronouncements about local phenomena without strong evidence given that man is mortal and fallible, weather and climate are very complex, even more complex than women even! (not said by Edward Norton Lorenz) ;)))

Lorenz
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#132 Post by Rossian » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:05 pm

.....reading through this thread those in favour of war, pestilence and natural disaster all seem to be working on the assuption that all these events are going to be "where I am not". What if you wake up and it's on your doorstep and you are in the middle of it - will it look such a good idea then? I don't think so.
Way back when, I was standing in the line a "greasy spoon" in a USN facility when a spotty faced Marine who looked about 12 yr old, opined to the general company that "I wish someone would start a war I'm getting this feeling that I need to kill a few people". This was a point where my red mist decended and I let rip at him, suggesting that he STFU and grow up and maybe talk to some older members of his family who had actually been through one or two or three actual wars and ask them how they felt now. All this was delivered in a stony silence while he blushed to the roots of hair he had left and he walked out of the line and went. I was still steaming at the ears until a USN commander confided "Thank you, that needed saying but not something that I could have said as fellow serving member" . All Marines were saints seemed to be the prevailing ambiance.

The Ancient Mariner

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#133 Post by FD2 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:11 pm

RiS - as Slasher says, New Zealand doesn't experience dry continental conditions like Oz. Rather like the UK and Scandinavia the country receives the low pressure systems that pass to the south of Oz or just catch Tasmania. Continental Europe may be hot and dry as Hell but Scotland will still be wet. During the unusually hot summer of 1976 I spent three weeks in the north of Scotland and it rained every day. Returning to Cornwall it was as dry and brown as Malta. That said, a good summer here can be pretty dry and dusty - and Canterbury has a particular weather phenomenon, a Foehn wind called the 'Nor'wester' which comes over the Southern Alps, and which has been stripping the soil off fields and driving farming folk mad since Victorian times.

Rossian - as youngsters they pretend or are actually keen to go and kill people and with age (wisdom or maturity?) minds dwell on the appalling waste of young lives, usually caused by politicians bravely orchestrating things from a distance and telling the press how it is so difficult for them to make these decisions. Sometimes though it is important not to turn the other cheek.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#134 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:12 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:43 pm
Slasher wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:31 am

Always keen to keep out of hot water these days... I think there is some strong evidence for AGW but also believe in the scientific method and am loath to make pronouncements about local phenomena without strong evidence given that man is mortal and fallible, weather and climate are very complex, even more complex than women even! (not said by Edward Norton Lorenz) ;)))

Lorenz
Mate, I would be pleased to be wrong and would be even happier to meet you after all these years, because not only do you like tits (even me), camels and 727's/737's (and the Airbus - you sold out out there :-))...

I am en route to Australia in Sept, 2020 to meet up with countless bloody Aussie and Kiwi relatives (most of them being my English better half''s kin, save for my outrageously intelligent. obnoxious sister in Auckland NZ )...

Would like to show you how to fly a Cub properly ;))) ...

Checking the globe for the co-ordinates in Thailand...

TGB

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#135 Post by probes » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:38 pm

Rossian wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:05 pm
.....reading through this thread those in favour of war, pestilence and natural disaster all seem to be working on the assuption that all these events are going to be "where I am not". What if you wake up and it's on your doorstep and you are in the middle of it - will it look such a good idea then? I don't think so.
Well, but surely that's irony? No-one could possibly wish it really happen?

Slasher

#136 Post by Slasher » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:41 pm

probes wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:38 pm

Correct in my case Probes. Read the subject header and then go back and read the first post.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#137 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:46 pm

Slasher wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:41 pm
probes wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:38 pm

Correct in my case Probes. Read the subject header and then go back and read the first post.
Don't bully Probes... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Slasher

#138 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:07 am

C’mon I’m not bullying her mate. I’m just reminding her the context of the firstest thread post in concert with the thread header. 😇

Probes knows I lubs her unremittingly! :x

Anyway...let’s save the Dunnunda camels brah!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#139 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:11 am

Slasher wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:07 am
C’mon I’m not bullying her mate. I’m just reminding her the context of the firstest thread post and thread header. 😇

Probes knows I lubs her unremittingly! :x
You are right mate, all them girls love a nice bad boy... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

prospector
Capt
Capt

#140 Post by prospector » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:47 am

The global epidemic may be in the throws of establishing itself

https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... dangerous/