Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
admin
Chief Engineer

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#161 Post by admin » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:01 am

New thread related to this virus opened in Sick Bay, please use to track it's progress Thanks

Slasher

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#162 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:35 pm

Continuing from me last, these are the existing airline rotes into an out of Thailand. Chiang MaI is one risk of having the virus brought into the North, but both Chiang and Chang Rai are fully armed locked and loaded.

062EB8E1-9C67-4985-A540-D99A1FDD927B.jpeg
Source (for Admin only): Bangkok Post newspaper.

What the pic doesn’t show are the bus routes. The most popular bus and car gateway into Thailand is Udon Thani via Vientiane in Laos. This is expected to increase and our locals have virtually cut the border off there so my wife tells me. A possibility the Laotians have cases but are not saying anything.

Slasher

#163 Post by Slasher » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:43 pm

Today from back home.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... n-thailand

That’s 3 Chinks in local hospitals so far.

Slasher

#164 Post by Slasher » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:30 am

Here’s one for the panic freaks and those baying for a human population-reducing epidemic...

Remember:

a) it’s Twatter. Anyone can post anything they like so authenticity is immediately in doubt, although in this case the recording could have been smuggled out.
b) locals are edgy and going to hospitals for so much as a sniff or cough. That’s why they’re overloaded with “100,000”.
c) those in (b) above will cop a Corona dose just by mixing it up next to anyone who actually have it.
d) ‘Don’t EVER trust the government!’ is a universal basic given around the world, not just with the Chinks.

My favourite would be an epidemic, a bit like Spanish Flu, or a more infectious variant of Ebola well entrenched in China or India.
If the recording above is accurate and true then you got it pally boy. Too bad it missed India.

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#165 Post by SOPS » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:01 am

I’m starting to think you may have got your wish. Here in Australia.. I’m wondering why they have not closed the borders. Oh.. I do know why. $$$ from Chinese students and a fear of offending the Chinese. We may live to regret this.

Slasher

#166 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 am

Well it’s certainly not my wish mate.

I’m pro-war meself.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#167 Post by BenThere » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:08 am

The whole premise of this thread bothers me. Perhaps we do need fewer people on the planet to be sustainable. But the methods to achieve that happier state involving suffering, starvation, war, and other miseries are feelings a truly caring person should discard.

My solution is to not subsidize, either through trans-national aid, food drops, doctors without borders, and the like, and let functioning societies and cultures flourish, and let non-sustaining cultures, and their associated governments and states face Darwin themselves without the interference of our well-meaning but self-defeating governments and the politicians who run them.

Part of me laments the condition of the poor, typically African child depicted on donation appeals. The video tugs at your heartstrings. But the reality is that essentially aid donated to mitigate the misery actually enables the misery to increase, doesn't it? A case in point is how food aid deprives local farmers of the ability to make a living from agriculture, thus depriving the local economy of a basic building block - food production. From the view of an economist, if you subsidize something you get more of it. Why subsidize misery, starvation, poverty, and violence? Wouldn't it be better to subsidize things that work?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#168 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:10 am

"Give a man a fish"?

Slasher

#170 Post by Slasher » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:24 am

Got a call yesterday arvo from a mate with a SIN outfit after he arrived from a Xi’an nightstop. Told me this:

Apron was deserted except for 2 other aircraft. On arrival he and his crew were scanned and issued masks (2 each). Driving into the pub the streets were thoroughly deserted.

Arriving at the hotel an in-house temp scan. Check-in desk said they could have any rooms they want. Only 2 guests staying - long term residents. Hotel restaurant open but with very limited menu.

The Metro has 4 entrances but everyone has to pass through only one. Temp scan, and no mask no entry. He went to a large mall he likes and that was deserted. All shops closed except Walmart where there were more staff than customers.

Only thing he said was good was that he had Chinese skies all to himself in and out of the country. Heard Qatar on VHF but that more or less was it. Lots of direct-to’s from ATC and at any level he wanted. He had 70 pax outbound (all non-Chinese nationals) from what was a booked 149.

On return SIN the crew went through the scans ok. He then found out by Co email the CAAS will possibly ground any crew coming from China for up to fourteen days* if found feverish or even just coughing. Same goes for all inbound pax from there. SIN Immig will include a tick box asking if one has been to China in the past 14 days. This policy officially starts today. His airline ceases all ops to the mainland except for Honkers and Macau.

*incubation period apparently.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#171 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:43 am

DAL CXed all China flights for next 3 months. AA and UAL CXed most all flights but don't know duration.

PP

Slasher

#172 Post by Slasher » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:21 am

The locals here are wandering around wearing cheap simple surgical masks that don’t do squat. The only thing that offers some real protection is a respirator like the N95.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#173 Post by Fliegenmong » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:57 am

New thread related to this virus opened in Sick Bay, please use to track it's progress Thanks

Where is 'Sick Bay'?
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#174 Post by Boac » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:09 am

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#175 Post by probes » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:13 am

Slasher wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:21 am
The locals here are wandering around wearing cheap simple surgical masks that don’t do squat. The only thing that offers some real protection is a respirator like the N95.
There was a program with a doctor suggesting the masks would be of use for the sick ones (to protect others, I assume), but not for prevention, as the 'hot'n'humid' conditions under the mask are real favorable for viruses. Washing hands is supposed to be the most effective thing to do.
Well, and not eating bats, I guess. :(

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#176 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:32 am

IMHO the N95 is a good dust mask. I dont know its efficacy against virus. Looking at that river site a paintball mask that protects the eyes might be better. Not much more expensive is this:

They are comfortable and effect with a big BUT. The filter needs to be checked regularly and changed. It is checked with a strong chemical source. If you smell it change the canister.

There are later models, the FM12 but you do need to buy canisters.

Slasher

#177 Post by Slasher » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:36 am

True Probes. An N95 can block a virus (TS to confirm) whereas a cheap mask does nothing except block the spit and snot issued by a sufferer or sufferee. This means the mask itself gets coated and becomes a hazard from the aforementioned spit and snottery.

Anyway the latest from back home:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... m-industry

Edit: PN all I see is a big blank in between your typing. Tried “replying” and copied the link (Amazon) but no joy. Any alternative?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#178 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:43 am

How are the death/cases rates comparing between China, developed Countries and developing countries?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#179 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:45 am

Slash, my post shows a picture. Search for S10 Custom Gas mask.