General Election views

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: General Election views

#81 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:10 pm

Boris will blink, I think, or he's in the stink.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by barkingmad » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:06 am

Good to hear a Beeb interviewer this morning highlighting the LibDems dental hygienist’s figures for economy growth/shrinkage as being complete tosh.
It seems like she’s attended and qualified in the same mathematics degree of innumeracy as Blessed Diane Abottimus with her take on the cost of PC Plods in the UK.
The next few weeks we’ll be treated to a severe outbreak of Foot in Mouth but alas the cure won’t be the same as the original bovine disease solution?!

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by om15 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:29 am

The Communications Workers Union (postmen) are planning a strike in the lead up to the election in order to disrupt the delivery of postal votes, this foretaste of things to come under a Labour government is also being extended to over Christmas.
It is good of them to give us the heads up, we can now plan to send our parcels by independent courier services instead of Royal Mail, in fact the sooner the Royal Mail is disbanded and their idle and militant employees are rendered homeless and unemployed the better.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:50 am

BM - at what point will the BP publish a manifesto? So far I understand the Brexit bit, and accept the concept that the political system in the UK needs a big overhaul, but they appear to be dipping their toes only in the bigger stuff, and I see only so far that HS2 dies and IHT is to be 'abolished'.

They cannot expect support if that is it - if they are, as 'planned', to be an influential force in parliament, they need to either leave everything but Brexit out of the manifesto or publish a complete manifesto if they plan to influence public spending. My assessment so far is 'good effort but must try harder', and I think a lot of potential voters will be the same.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:51 am

I think couriers deliver more parcels than parcel force and both cheaper and faster. The one exception was for a very heavy parcel.

As for letters, I think we get probably two letters per week, apart from greetings cards, and the rest goes in the recycling bin. Even essential stuff like tax demands, council tax, election papers, all replies are on line.

Never use a first class stamp as there is no guarantee of next day delivery and businesses don't separate the mail into 'reply this day' and 'let the buggers wait'. How much does it cost the post office to 'store' all the second class mail for a day?

Increase the 2nd class stamp and reduce the 1st to the average. As for the extortion if your letter is too fat. Had one letter, tyre valve caps, sent 'free 2nd class' value £1.50 that shuffled around and was too fat. Bastards wanted me to drive 20 miles, park up, pay excess postage and a fee. Left them to post it back and try and get the money - fat chance.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#86 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 am

BOAC, while to some they might appear as Conservative in all but Name, in Labour constituencies they need to be Brexit for the Workers. But like standing on two horses racing through a wood.

Same with Conservative, they can't expect the vote of a die-hard Labour member just on a leave ticket.

I think as the race develops Brexit will trail in the dust. How many will do the traditional two-party swing and how many will vote against the two a parties?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#87 Post by om15 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:19 am

If you missed this on Sunday here is a link

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... andidates/

I do see the argument put forward by TBP and to a certain extent agree with them, however, looking at the overall situation I really think that a vote for TBP is a vote that will weaken the Tories and let Corbyn in.
Brexit is very important, but not as important as stopping Corbyn in his tracks.

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

#88 Post by Nick Riviera » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:38 am

Bob wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:10 pm
Nick Riviera wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:32 pm
Bob wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:07 pm

Scared Billionaires?, oh my heart f*cking bleeds
It'll f*cking bleed when there are no more billionaires and they come for your money. The billionaires will just move abroad.
What f*cking money?, wake up at the back....... being that "commie bastard" is the closest tag that the populist right wing circle jerkers in here could affix to me (None of them knows what an Anarcho Syndicalist is) then the only money I have belongs to someone else
Well isn't that just peachy for you. My money belongs to me and I have this odd opinion that I should decide how best to use it.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:58 am

Well, I know what an anarcho-syndicalist is, being somewhat right of an anarcho-mutualist myself.
What we need is more disintermediation, which in the context of elections means holding MPs to account for their representation of their constituents, and much less influence by parties. Needless to say, none of the politicians want that.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#90 Post by barkingmad » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:26 am

boac, patience..... I am not party to their planned manifesto but I'll put up this link which will clarify what they're about.

https://mailchi.mp/thebrexitparty.org/i ... 0ce1f9e70e

Hope this clarifies what they're trying to do. NONE of the other parties are promising to even try to drain the swamp so full marks to them for at least waving the issue of a dysfunctional legislature. At least with the departure of the odious Barcrow we now have a Northerner in the seat with a lovely Lancs accent who will perform a better referee job. :YMAPPLAUSE:

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:05 pm

Patient, but not too long!

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by barkingmad » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:05 pm

“*****” Phil Hammond not to be endured again and says he’s very saddened.

I’m not! Another who’s head should have been on the block decides they’re unable to carry on after deserting their original manifesto party and cheating their constituencues.

Hopefully the law will change so those who cross the HoC floor are automatically compelled into a by-election. I always assumed the UK system was that we vote not on a personality but on what manifesto they intend to follow.

That’s the deal, break it and you’ve got to offer your unfortunate electors your options versus the rest of the shambles on sale!

And just in case you stumble over an anti-Brexiteer in passing, a few choice questions they might like to answer;

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:29 pm

BM - I am deducing that you probably have a closer contact with TBP than most of us. If so they need to be clear: Once the froth of 'Sort out Brexit' wears off during the run-up to 12/12 many possible BP voters are going to be asking what happens IF you get enough seats to swing the votes - what next - are you just kapok in the HoC seats or do you have some policies with which you can further influence the government? There will be several years of government to follow and I see little sign of any meaningful answers yet. The momentum should not be allowed to fade.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#94 Post by barkingmad » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:02 pm

Not necessarily closer contact, just a bit of ferreting around with search engine.

Sus’ they’ll have a manifesto for perusal any time soon but at least they want to change the swamp post-draining. All the others are back into normal ops again!

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#95 Post by BenThere » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:36 pm

barkingmad, I thought you and I were of opposing outlooks, but on the matter of Brexit, and judging by the vid you posted above I think we have some common ground.

My take, as of today, is that TBP is UK's destiny, so long as it remains outside Islamic control. It represents the will of the current population of people and reflects the frustration when that will is ignored. The EU represents not a fruitful federation, but constraint on Freedom, sovereignty, and the singular culture of the UK, and the English people in particular. I don't want to see your magnificent history and heritage surrendered at the EU altar.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#96 Post by BenThere » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:36 pm

barkingmad, I thought you and I were of opposing outlooks, but on the matter of Brexit, and judging by the vid you posted above I think we have some common ground.

My take, as of today, is that TBP is UK's destiny, so long as it remains outside Islamic control. It represents the will of the current population of people and reflects the frustration when that will is ignored. The EU represents not a fruitful federation, but constraint on Freedom, sovereignty, and the singular culture of the UK, and the English people in particular. I don't want to see your magnificent history and heritage surrendered at the EU altar.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by barkingmad » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:41 am

For boac & others waiting for TBP manifesto, maybe this is why it’s difficult to locate?

https://www.theweek.co.uk/101632/the-br ... s-examined

I’m sure something more detailed and comprehensive will be available soon. The others are breathlessly touting their wares like town market traders with the hackneyed phraseology of recent years and I remain to be convinced by wild spending promises and boasts that we’ll all be carbon-free within ridiculous timescales.

Maybe a new thread highlighting examples of snake oil might be appropriate?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by Boac » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:50 am

Yes - we've got all that, but the rest? The Farage's love affair with the American madman is of great concern. Where is TBP on the funding of the NHS? On social housing? On taxation? On....? Too many unknowns at present.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by barkingmad » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:37 pm

I gather that scrubbing HS2 and cancelling our direct debit to the Brussels Sprouts will release a cool one hundred thousand million sterling which would be a good fiscal stimulus.

The economic performance of the EUSSR has been declining and forecast to continue southwards towards what?

I don’t want to be in that sinking ship longer than necessary, even though ElCapitan Juncker’s advice is to stay put until we make landfall at sunlit upland fields of CAP derived milk &honey?

The Tory party “deal” is as suspect and defective as the Maybot plot for the future. I like the way in which Singapore dealt with the Brussels mafia and look at how successful Singapore has been since.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:16 pm

a cool one hundred thousand million sterling
Pah! Wouldn't even cover the average fighter pilot's Mess bar bill ;)))

(It's not big, it's not clever....but it sure is fun!)