General Election views

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: General Election views

#161 Post by BenThere » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 pm

Ben , your ignorance knows no bounds.
I can only agree. There is so much I do not know. But I try to keep learning.

Somehow, though, I sense your post was not a friendly point of debate, but rather an intended smear.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#162 Post by Woody » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:15 am

BenThere wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 pm
Ben , your ignorance knows no bounds.
I can only agree. There is so much I do not know. But I try to keep learning.

Somehow, though, I sense your post was not a friendly point of debate, but rather an intended smear.
Wrong again Ben, it was a reply to your statement about thousands of innocent lives being saved in Iraq, although they weren’t killed by Hussain, but by Bush, Blair and allies!
When all else fails, read the instructions.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#163 Post by barkingmad » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:21 am

“Wrong again Ben, it was a reply to your statement about thousands of innocent lives being saved in Iraq, although they weren’t killed by Hussain, but by Bush, Blair and allies!”

Which is why since watching the latter two big cheeses swanning around at the Cenotaph in London after Iraq2003 fiasco I have felt irrationally uncomfortable at watching this ceremony on TV today or any November.

The sight of the politicians and very senior military orifices parading there and taking priority over the sad remnants of those who actually risked life and some minus limbs and many mentally scarred doesn’t sit comfortably with the intent of “never again” All this is topped off with which MSM figure will be the first to sport a poppy sometime in October and the Stasi criticising those who don’t wear one at all leaves me a bad aftertaste on Remembrance Day.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#164 Post by om15 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 am

The swamp draining is off to a good start, Odious Bercow has left, now we learn that the revolting and perverted Keith Vaz is standing down, presumably he feels that the electorate of Leicester East have had enough, and who can blame them.
The Labour party are unveiling more and more of their ludicrous policies, their lunatic fiscal policies will end up using all the money that is in the world, all of it to be hosed around to catch snappy headlines, but still one person in four thinks that is a good. It is rather unsettling to live in a country where a quarter of the people are certifiable.
I wonder what this week will bring for TBP, more of their PPCs are standing down because they don't want to split the leave vote, I am beginning to think that Boris may well see him off, it is noticeable that the press and tv don't mention very much about the Brexit Party but the soaking wet Lib Dems are getting bags of publicity.

The Oirish are planning all sorts of electorial games, this comes at a time when it is shown that four in ten people in England want Irish reunification because they are fed up with them, I'm sort of genuinely curious as to where the NI electorate want to go, they are approaching the situation where Dublin doesn't want them and increasingly the UK don't. Should we pay Sein Fein MPs not to appear in Parliament and do their job?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#165 Post by OFSO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:54 am

Not just the N. Irish with whom some English are fed up but the Scots also. When that Scots MP gets up on his back legs in Westminster to complain about how mistreated his country is, or the Wee Lady Leader, likewise, I long to say f*CK off and see how well you'll do without English subsidies. As for NI, this anachronistic enclave of 'Engish' in the north of another country is long overdue for ejection. For how long has Ireland been a thorn in England's side ? Time to rectify historical errors...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#166 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:11 pm

om15 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 am
Should we pay Sein Fein MPs not to appear in Parliament and do their job?
We don't.

They have to 'sign in' before they come into the money.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#167 Post by om15 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:48 pm

You are right, I've looked it up, they don't receive the MP rate, just £365 per week from the IRA funds, my thought that they shouldn't be here is still valid I think, why on earth do we have to continue to fund these people in Scotland and NI, they are not happy with it, we are not happy with it, the Tories are constantly reminding us that they are the Unionist party as though that is a good thing.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#168 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:46 pm

om15 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:48 pm
......why on earth do we have to continue to fund these people in Scotland and NI, they are not happy with it, we are not happy with it, the Tories are constantly reminding us that they are the Unionist party as though that is a good thing.
Hoi! In 2018 there were about 477,000 English living in Scotland out of the 5.4m total population. In addition about 7% of the population, roughly 393,000, who were born outside the UK now live in Scotland. The number of Scots living in Scotland is roughly 4.5m so there are probably 870,000 non-Scots who don't want independence plus a significant number of resident Scots who also don't want it.

It's up to all of us of us who reside north of the border, of whatever background, who want the status quo in Scotland to vote the SNP out of existence in the May 2021 Scottish elections and we can then put any independence ideas into the past....just as long as we don't let Labour in!

I will never understand how a population who voted against independence then voted for the SNP Government. Madness!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#169 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Farage has backed off and TBP will not contest Tory-held seats.
I would imagine Corbyn needs a change of underwear at this point.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#170 Post by om15 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:23 pm

Yes I know, that has always struck me as odd, the only thing that the English see and hear is Blackford and Sturgeon endlessly banging on about how hard done by they are by the English, how unfair it all is and how much better they would be being an independent suburb of Brussels.
If, as we think likely, the Scots overwhelmingly vote in an increased number of SNP to Parliament then the only conclusion that can be reached is that they are voicing their dissatisfaction with the Union with England, and can hardly take umbrage if the feeling is reciprocated.

Meanwhile TBP have announced that they will not contest seats currently held by the Tories, I am not sure if this will still prevent a hung Parliament as in all other seats TBP will draw votes away from the Tories, it is going to be interesting.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#171 Post by Woody » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:45 pm

OM15, think that you should ask for your £25 back, as this is going to split the vote in marginal seats :-o

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#172 Post by ian16th » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Woody wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:45 pm
OM15, think that you should ask for your £25 back, as this is going to split the vote in marginal seats :-o
That was the 1st thing that struck me.

The Tory party NEED to gain seats, not simply hold the ones they have.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#173 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Its anybody's guess.

Assume the Tory minority continue to vote Tory. Labour supporters who don't want to vote Tory but want to vote against Labour, then TBP offers an alternative.

It depends on the Tory vote maintaining.

In the EU elections, as a remained, I voted TBP. I certainly won't vote TBP.

Anyone had their papers yet? I guess they are still working on the registers.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#174 Post by Woody » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Anyone had their papers yet? I guess they are still working on the registers.
Got mine today, but seeing as our local ERG member has a 20k + majority, don’t think much will change X(

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#175 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:17 pm

This Friday, 14 Nov, is the closing date for nomination papers.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#176 Post by OFSO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Pound has taken an upward jump. Last quarter bonds done extremely well.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#177 Post by om15 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:32 pm

OM15, think that you should ask for your £25 back, as this is going to split the vote in marginal seats
It will, coupled with former Tory Remain voters in the south and the south west who may go across to the Lib Dems I don't think that it is a given that the Tories will retain their seats. I don't have high hopes (at the moment) of a good Tory majority. If the Tories can't retain their current seats and have to fight Labour, SNP, Lib Dems, TBP in other seats then I still keep returning to the thought that it will be a hung parliament.
I don't begrudge the twenty five quid, at least Nigel has tried to spend it wisely.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#178 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 pm

A hung parliament with the Cons having to ally with TBP is Nigel's wet dream. He can force No Deal.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#179 Post by ian16th » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:24 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 pm
A hung parliament with the Cons having to ally with TBP is Nigel's wet dream. He can force No Deal.
To do that he needs seats in the Commons, and him being there would help his case!
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#180 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:29 am

Even one seat but lots of votes would give them some legitimacy