A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: General Election views

#701 Post by BenThere » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:30 pm

I watched the entire video interview you posted
barkingmad
. Very informative, enlightening and thoughtful. How refreshing it is to see an erudite discussion of key issues without shouting and name-calling. Thank you.
Capetown
, I agree most Muslims I know and have worked with are fine people. I also know that almost universally they have a hatred of Jewish people, and among them is a significant contingent that believe in Jihad and approve or actually participate in the killing of infidels like me as well as fellow Muslims not in accord with their thinking.

I'm so tired of daily reports of dozens or more innocents murdered around the world.

The only solution I can see is to identify and shut down the mosques and madrassas preaching this Jihad hatred and relentlessly attacking the active cells of terrorists inspired by it.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#702 Post by BenThere » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:30 pm

I watched the entire video interview you posted
barkingmad
. Very informative, enlightening and thoughtful. How refreshing it is to see an erudite discussion of key issues without shouting and name-calling. Thank you.
Capetown
I agree most Muslims I know and have worked with are fine people. I also know that almost universally they have a hatred of Jewish people, and among them is a significant contingent that believe in Jihad and approve or actually participate in the killing of infidels like me as well as fellow Muslims not in accord with their thinking.

I'm so tired of daily reports of dozens or more innocents murdered around the world.

The only solution I can see is to identify and shut down the mosques and madrassas preaching this Jihad hatred and relentlessly attack the active cells of terrorists inspired by it.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#703 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:05 am

A parallel on trust could be seen in both World Wars in both America and Britain. Nationals from belligerent countries were interned regardless of their reasons for being here or their length of residence. It was assumed that their nationality and loyalty was immutable.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#704 Post by Boac » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:52 am

Having problems seeing behind the 'For Britain' party. The website is very thin on 'personalities' ie who is driving it and who is financing it. Still concerned by the lurking presence of Robinson et al and I would like to know more about the spat with Farage.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#705 Post by barkingmad » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:57 pm

Is this any use, boac?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4538314/a ... r-britain/

Yes the web is very thin on background but I must admit to being in sync with most of what she says in the party videos on topics controversial.

If you have an hour to spare the video, all discussion so treat like radio, over in posting # 11 in the Western Democracies thread covers a lot of ground including many topics discussed in O-N Politics etc thread;

And I learned things I didn’t know before even though my attention is reasonable for an ould codger.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#706 Post by Boac » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:25 pm

"Is this any use, boac? " - no, sadly. I think I know enough about her, and apart from her 'policies' I am not impressed. It is the rest in the shadows I wish to discover.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#707 Post by barkingmad » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:34 am

“and apart from her policies, I’m not impressed”.
I always thought modern democracies worked on the principle of the elector voting for a policy, NOT for any telegenic individual. Though the telegenic theme seems to have taken over when there’s talk of voting for Boris or Jewemy? Similarly in the US where it was Trump v Hillary and also in the European national elections.
Pity we can’t get back to basics? OMG, what have I said, that was a John Majorism?! Difficult to escape it....!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#708 Post by Boac » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:38 am

I quite agree, but it is the shadows in the party I am concerned about. She is merely the figurehead.
I always thought modern democracies worked on the principle of the elector voting for a policy, NOT for any telegenic individual.
- been asleep for a while? :))

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#709 Post by barkingmad » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:59 am

A little more info on AMW is available in the book description page in Amazon re her book “Beyond Terror” which receives some 48/56 very favourable reviews, the other 6 slate it as rubbish.
As a comparison on book reviews on a similar topic, the reviews of “The Strange Death of Europe” contain virtually the same mix of opinions. The difference being that Murray’s book has gone on to be translated into several languages and he is a popular guest on the chat show and YouTube circuit where he’s able to explain more about his take on cultural invasion.
Presumably the vociferous critics are the Leftie head-in-the sand brigade who can’t face the truth of past left/liberal immigration policy?
And yes, I should have said I used to believe democracy worked-bad phraseology!

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#710 Post by om15 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:17 pm

Received an email from Richard Tice and Nigel this morning, not sure what is next with the Brexit Party
Dear Supporter,

We do hope you have had a very good festive season with family and friends. Hopefully you have also been able to get some rest after a manic election period.

Once again a huge thanks for the incredible efforts of so many people during this period.

There is much to celebrate: we are going to leave the EU on 31st January! The Remoaners are crushed and most of the Brexit blockers in parliament are now gone. Remember this is thanks to The Brexit Party. Without us, Boris would not have become PM. The Conservative Party knew that to win, they had to copy many of our policies and ideas.

We put country before party or person. History will clearly show this. Standing down in over 300 seats effectively guaranteed a Boris majority, the only question was its size. Don’t let anyone tell you that we have not succeeded in our main goals.

We have changed politics for good in many ways since launching under 9 months ago. We are now assessing thoughts and ideas as to what our next steps might be. This does not need to be rushed, tempting though it is.

Meanwhile very best wishes for a very Happy New Year!

With thanks,

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#711 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:59 am

I get the impression Nigel believes his work here is done and is going to fly west to help the Chump.

There appears to be serious friction ‘twixt him and AMW which is rather a shame as more of For Britain’s case should have been aired more publicly, which it might have been had they allied with TBP instead of falling out.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#712 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:07 am

had they allied with TBP instead of falling out.
As far as I can see, TBP threw AMW out for her 'extreme' views. Hence my concerns.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#713 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:14 am

From what I’ve read, she has had what some would regard as “extreme views” but they’ve been somewhat tempered since her early days.

But having watched/listened to many of the vids I find it difficult to disagree with the policies she’s proposing.

Alas at present none of the other UK parties does it for me so I go with what FB is currently waving as policy.

No other UK party is warning so consistently about the enemy within, due to a complete lack of moral fibre.

It’s such an easy put down of one’s opponent in the UK when the phrase “far-right” is levelled against them. But strangely the phrase “far-left” does not seem to arouse the same visceral terror amongst the chattering classes and the Islington brigade.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#714 Post by llondel » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:43 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:59 am
I get the impression Nigel believes his work here is done and is going to fly west to help the Chump.
That should improve the political classes on both sides of the pond.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#715 Post by Woody » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:32 am

Looks like the EU is not the only place with Budget problems :-o
The new chancellor must raise taxes in his first Budget or break the government's rules on borrowing, a leading economic think tank has warned.
Rishi Sunak is under pressure to increase spending on the NHS, social care and schools.
He has also inherited a fiscal target from his predecessor Sajid Javid to bring spending in to balance by 2022.
The Institute for Fiscal Studies has suggested this will not be possible without increasing taxes.
It said that loosening or abandoning the rules, set out in last year's Conservative election manifesto, would undermine the credibility of any fiscal targets the government set.
However, the Conservative election manifesto said the government would not put up income tax, national insurance or VAT.
Mr Sunak, who was appointed chancellor after Mr Javid's dramatic resignation in the cabinet reshuffle, will deliver the statement on 11 March.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#716 Post by llondel » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Interesting idea would be abolish council tax (and business rates) and central government support grants, drop income tax to reflect what's been saved and then allow councils to levy a local income tax to get their income that way. I guess the downside of this is that it would screw the areas in the north of England which currently benefit from money extracted from the more affluent south because then they'd have to pay for their own stuff but off a lower tax base. Sounds like the sort of thing Boris would go for.