General Election views

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: General Election views

#381 Post by OFSO » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:51 pm

One has to admire the French for extending the yellow streak to visibly cover their entire upper half !

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#382 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Well, 3 days to go, got the shopping list sorted, got the coffee a!ready, will pack these spare vacuum cafetiere, litre of milk, packet of Oatie biscuits, one pound pork pie,couple of bananas, ditto apples, couple of donuts, and must pack a couple of cushions and load Kindle with a couple of books. That will be me sorted for election day. If we see more than 700 people all day I shall be surprised.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#383 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Last time I visited a UK polling station, out in a Dorset village, the tellers were a husband and wife team. The venue was the village cricket pavilion. He was outside in a deck chair, corduroys, oxford brogues, regimental tie, reading his copy of the Telegraph. She was inside, wearing pearls and a twin set, tea was on the boil, and she was reading her copy of the Telegraph.
There was of course a retriever, presumably trained to attack Labour voters*.
It will shock you to learn that a Conservative MP was returned with more than three and a half times the vote of his nearest challenger. ;)))

*Or no training may have been necessary. I mean, what dog wouldn't have a go if Corbyn turned up? :D

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#384 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:18 pm

I attended a meeting in the same building as the Polling Station in a small hamlet.
I was acquainted with the Returning Officer (I made him a cup of coffee as we had brought 'supplies' for our meeting) but he was unwilling to reveal whether they had had ANY voters - I suspect not, otherwise he would have said 'a few'.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#385 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:40 pm

As we don't cover up our paperwork and ballot papers are in number order even Doctor Watson could work it out.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#386 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:20 pm

I'm in a bit of an invidious position in this election in that, I live in one of the swing constituencies. Our Conservative MP was returned at the last election with a majority of 500 votes despite her inability to manage her parliamentary credit card resulting in her getting 14 slaps on the wrist from some parliamentary committee.

I find Boris Johnson to be an abhorrent excuse for a human being. He appears to be a serial liar and marital cheat. Perhaps an interesting chap to have a beer with in the pub but, for Chissake, running the country!

Jeremy Corbyn. What is really **** frightening is that you can see he actually believes in the guff he spouts.

So, I can either vote for the least worst or just not bother going to the poll station (also the local cricket club).

It's sad that we have come to this.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#387 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:28 pm

This is an incredibly tricky one, and we have the same problem here. Each party leader seems to be worse than the last. In Canada, voters are more prepared to not vote for an unethical w@nker, even if this means the opposition gets in. Generally, the parties get the message and get rid of that leader or candidate. However, there's no guarantee the next will be any better, due to the process used to find a replacement. Sometimes, entire parties fold.
That said, our parties are generally much closer in overall policy, and do less, than the current UK parties when in Government. Thus, we can afford 4 or 8 years of opposition rule*. This does not appear to be the case in the UK at present. One could be seriously f#cked within a year if the opposition gets in. I do not envy the UK voter.

*Take the new gun registry in Quebec. About 85% of Quebecers have not complied, that's over 400,000 illegally-armed citizens. The police aren't going looking for them, although they know where they are as every one of them has a valid Firearms Licence. In a few years, with a new Government, the law will be repealed and everyone will go back to being legal again.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#388 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:37 pm

I find Boris Johnson . . . Perhaps an interesting chap to have a beer with in the pub but, !
I think not would you have a beer with him or just get ***** shot at you, and don't take your other half anywhere near.

NF might be better, but one has to ask, why have the voters never put their cross in his box?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#389 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Many in Thanet probably did, but those boxes disappeared for a while.
https://www.change.org/p/kent-police-co ... anetrigged

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#390 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:05 pm

I am concerned that we often don't vote FOR a candidate but AGAINST the other. And then we have people voting for candidate who promises an unreasonable and unattainable agenda.

For the first time in ages, I feel concerned for the choice the UK voters have. I have seen how bad uncertainty is for the people and the economy before and after the elections.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#391 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:46 pm

This is inevitable. Whilst the current situation is..tolerable, if a candidate we would vote for fails to deliver their positives, the status quo tends to persist. If the candidate who proposes something intolerable gets in, the status quo immediately becomes intolerable. Thus one always tends to vote against the candidate who proposes what for the voter is intolerable.
In general, centrist parties have proven incapable in the last two decades of dealing with the problems of the world. Thus parties have tended to drift further to the extremes of their particular philosophy. This generally guarantees that a party in a different area to one's political philosophy is going to have intolerable policies. Furthermore, each larger party has a record in government that will, over the years, make voting for them in particular areas socially unacceptable. For example, there are Durham mining villages where no-one will never vote Tory even if their life depended on it.
So, the solution for positivity inevitably depends on new parties, with no 'baggage'. However, the First Past The Post election system means a vote for them is often perceived as 'wasted', and a Proportional Representation system tends to deliver a plethora of parties who fail to agree and achieve nothing positive at all, at least on important problems. One could also point out the very structure of parties themselves, where internal loyalty and a good image ranks a lot higher than intelligence, honesty, or even competence. And that's before we get into party funding and the inevitable slavery to donors' interests.

Slasher

#392 Post by Slasher » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:25 am

barkingmad wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:49 am
...the elegantly quiffed...
Inquiry Mr Mad if you don’t mind.

My understanding of the English word ‘quiffed’ must have another meaning. How one could be ‘elegantly quiffed’ must involve a hell of an expensive callgirl of exquisite taste.

Slasher

#393 Post by Slasher » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:32 am

Update: FD2 replied to me about it in the Friday Jokes thread.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#394 Post by barkingmad » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:57 am

Slasher, try this for size and attractiveness;

https://www.fashionbeans.com/2016/32-of ... airstyles/

Long past my ability to wear one as the growth has slipped off my skull and re-attached to my chin!

Slasher

#395 Post by Slasher » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:18 am

Ah. The short-back-n-sides-but-leave-the-top-growing-wild thing. A throwback to the 1950s?

Thanks.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#396 Post by barkingmad » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:31 am

“Throwback” being the operative word ! !

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#397 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:56 am

Or of one particular person:

Male chauvinist pig with a quiff.

So Slasher, what is your meaning?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#398 Post by barkingmad » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:17 am

F A O Slasher et al, it’s in the spelling?!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urband ... e&amp=true

Suddenly I don’t want porridge for breakfast.....

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#399 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:57 am

BM, THAT should have been in the sick joke thread with just a pointer here.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#400 Post by Boac » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:20 am

10/10 for Slasher
"quiff"
[ kwif ]
noun, plural quiff, quiffs. Slang.
a woman, especially one who is promiscuous.