General Election views

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

General Election views

#1 Post by om15 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:29 pm

I am listening to R4 which is mainly covering the impending election, those being interviewed having various views, but it seems to me that many seem to being missing the point.
I listened to a gravely voiced Geordie die hard promising to get Corbyn into Downing street for Christmas, overlooking the obvious fact that we would immediately become defenceless, bankrupt and third world, the squeaky voiced Sphincter from Skye making up even more grievances to honour the occasion, MPs who wish to introduce infants and illegal immigrants to the electorate, mad green women gibbering the incomprehensible.

Is there any reason within the electorate that sees through all this bilge, how on earth can anyone not understand that Corbyn is intent on destroying the fabric of our society, smelly mad women are not the answer to our woes, snarling communist Scotchmen with their fabricated grievances have nothing to offer the UK, is this all due to the media encouraging these incompetent unemployable wasters to voice their rubbish?

With the selection of politicians on offer demonstrating their total unsuitability to lead this country to a prosperous and safe future it is depressing to dwell on the possible outcome. What has caused this decline in politics, is it vile objects like Keith Vaz, or is just that it is simply what people want? I have no idea.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: General Election views

#2 Post by OFSO » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Try LBC for a contrast....

CremeEgg
Snr FO
Snr FO

#3 Post by CremeEgg » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Most LBC presenters even further left than those on the Beeb. Nigel Farage always entertaining.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:08 pm

I guess there will be a lot of puckering sphincters amongst quite a few MPs who have decided to stand for re-election. Those who are standing down this time round have probably saved themselves from a bloodbath.

The list of those jumping ship "to spend more time with their family" is already 47 names long.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by BenThere » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:16 am

I'd like to think Brexit supporters will turn out and deliver a resounding spanking. They are on the right side. Parliament's betrayal of the voters' will is epic, unconscionable, and will hopefully result in upheaval. I really like Boris.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:21 am

Boris promised October 31st, and claimed he would rather be "dead in a ditch" if it didn't happen.
Politicians are always asking us to take them at their word.
In an electoral sense, I am very interested to see if the 17% or so of the electorate, former Brexit supporters who have apparently switched to the Tories since Boris became PM, switch back again at the GE and leave him in that ditch.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by om15 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:23 am

It will be interesting to see what the Brexit Party intend to do, and the effect of their decision, probably split the leave vote and let in Labour as happened in the Peterborough bye election.

Iain Dale is certainly the most pleasant and well informed presenter and interviewer on any radio or tv channel, but that can't be said for James O Brian. Nigel is entertaining and works hard at his LBC show, you are left in no doubt as to his views.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by barkingmad » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:07 am

Tuesday pm as I had to stand, therefore to stay awake, whilst ironing I watched some of the debate broadcast from ‘Halitosis Hall’ and was surprised to note how relatively couth and reasonably well-behaved were the various MPs who rose on their hind legs to speak.

Is it because many of them have realised they are going to be made redundant before Christmas just like so many of the peasant electorate suffer as companies shrink or go bust?

On the topic of the GE result it’s ridiculous that Blonde Rasputin rejected Nigel’s suggestion of an electoral pact. So I totally agree the Leave vote will be split but as most MPs are held in contempt by the voters as a direct result of the last 3.5 years of BS then I can’t see any party coming out as outright winners.

Previous GEs have seen 80% of the votes roughly split ‘twixt the 2 main parties but I suspect that figure will be reduced with the ‘others’ making up the difference and we’ll be treated to another possibly dysfunctional coalition.

Though some countries manage quite well with that system I doubt if the UK trying to divorce from the EU will make a resounding success of that mix.

I recommend LBC or Jeff Taylor’s YouTube snippets as relatively sensible and painless methods of keeping track of developments. ~X(

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Ibbie » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:08 am

The end of Brexit as we have known it.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by barkingmad » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Radio 4 lunchtime news prog, presenter asks Professor Green of things electoral what is her advice on how to vote?!?! Just before the comms fail and the Beeb has to try to rerig whichever cheap ‘n nasty line they’re using for the interview.

Then we’re described as a “volatile electorate” which I will take as a compliment.

Prof Green echoes my thoughts it won’t be a race between the BIG 2 parties but traditional party allegiances have been destroyed by the shenanigans over the recent years plus austerity and urgent issues not addressed so standby for some interesting results.

I might even stay awake on results night just to see the facial expressions of those losers who’ve failed to grasp the reasons for their inevitable defeat! :))

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by om15 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:05 pm

One election predictor has stated that the Lib Dems could get well over 200 seats, another reckons that Jo Swinson will lose her seat to the SNP.

All of it could be anyone's guess. I just hope that the fixation of Brexit doesn't blind the electorate to the menace of Corbyn.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:25 pm

This is a GE with an unprecedented background. Like Brexit itself, all the assumptions made by pollsters based on previous voting habits are not valid. Furthermore, the unrepresentative sampling methods identified by the industry's own review of the 2015 GE polling errors* persist unmodified.

The polls aren't worth the cost of the pixels to display them.

* http://eprints.ncrm.ac.uk/3789/1/Report ... evised.pdf

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by om15 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:13 pm

As yet there has been no public official statement that the Brexit Party is fielding candidates across the country, they appear to have put out feelers to do some sort of deal with the Tories. I received this interesting email from the Brexit Party candidate for North Dorset this evening.

* I can win in North Dorset. The Leave vote is strong enough that, even if it is split with the Tory candidate, neither Labour or the Liberal Democrats, can come from a distant third place to win. 57% voted Leave in the 2016 Referendum; 42% voted Brexit Party and 1st place in this year's Euros (nearly twice the vote of the 2nd placed party).
* The incumbent Conservative MP is a remainer and has spent the past three years thwarting any Brexit deal. He has overplayed the Irish border issue and undermined his own Government in negotiations with the EU by publicly supporting efforts to take a Clean Brexit off the table (joining the undemocratic pack of MPs that calls it “no deal”). In this he aligns himself with the logically impossible and unbusinesslike Labour position.
* For any previous Conservative voter, please stop being taken for granted by the Conservative Party. You generously gave Theresa May the "benefit of the doubt" in 2017; don't make the same mistake again. The Brexit Party is the only party that puts country before party.
* A vote in North Dorset is a vote for the individual named candidate on the ballot paper, not the party and not the party leader. Don’t be fooled by a highly Presidential campaign from PM Johnson - in North Dorset, you might want BJ, but you’ll get Hoare!

With best wishes,
Tim

Tim Page
North Dorset Prospective Parliamentary Candidate
The Brexit Party

#ChangePoliticsForGood

Mobile: 07539 906099
E-mail: tim.page@thebrexitparty.org
Twitter: tim4northdorset

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by barkingmad » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:32 pm

At the Brexit Party gatherings NF snd RT were saying they had >620ish candidates ready to roll and gearing up long before yesterdays “surprise”.

Shame about Rasputin’s refusal for an electoral pact, a refusal which could ruin the exercise.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:39 am

Despite Jeff’s take on the topic this morning MSM stating that Nigel’s lot are going to stand down tactically in areas where a Brexiteer split might allow the Left to take the seat.

Again, shame on Blonde Rasputin for not taking up the offer of an electoral pact. But I suppose the Tory old guard, what’s left of them, would revolt against that and help him into the mythical ditch.

Not a lot of “Country before Party” being heard outside the Brexit Party so it looks like a similar bunch of self-serving toadies will once again grace the green benches.

And another chance to drain the swamp and reform both voting and the Upper House will be lost. Damn them all!!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:47 am

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by om15 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:59 am

Doctor-turned-comic Adam Kay warned in the Mirror this week that throwing open the NHS to US drugs firms and health insurance giants would lead to sky-high post-Brexit treatment and prescription prices.
This is not really evidence of a sellout of the NHS, merely the opinion of a failed doctor, coupled with the other wild claims and ludicrous assertions made by Corbyn in this article it can be seen by all right thinking people that the Daily Mirror is only fit for one purpose.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:14 am

A big worry is that Nigel has cuddled up to Humpty Dumpty (aka The Chump) and I need to hear his policies regarding US/UK trade AND the NHS.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by om15 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:29 am

It is going to be interesting to see the Brexit Party manifesto, other than not liking foreigners, Europeans in particular, they haven't as yet let us know their thoughts about much else. They could completely affect the outcome either way, I think that they will target the Labour vote in the north, but not sure the impact on the Tories.

I think that Mr Trump, although vaguely showing some interest in the UK some months ago, has forgotten about us and promised trade deals, his attention span does not last the distance and we might find that the treasures at the end of the rainbow are very little. Remember, America First.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Woody » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 pm

Brexit Party and Manifesto, not usually seen in the same sentence :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.