Head of Iran's Quds Force Killed at Baghdad Airport

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Head of Iran's Quds Force Killed at Baghdad Airport

#201 Post by boing » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:55 pm

BOAC, perhaps you would like to head over there and explain to the Mullahs that proxy wars, fomenting revolution, killing anyone who opposes them and even those that supported them but are now irrelevant, over a religious belief, is not really cricket. Then you could ask them why they do not send combat personnel in uniforms into the fight if it is that important to them and why murdering the people that do not share their fanatical beliefs in cold blood just because of some old book says this is the proper thing to do is OK.

Fanatics cannot be negotiated with especially when their religious beliefs say it is proper and blameless to lie to an unbeliever.

Some people have the attribute of power some do not, evil is always evil. Do you wish that evil should be opposed by power or none power? Do you condone the spread of evil because you object to the use of power because the powerful also act in their own interest? Do the powerful need to be perfect before they can attack evil since if this is the case there may be few qualified for the job.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#202 Post by Boac » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:56 pm

Only quoting you!

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#203 Post by boing » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:03 pm

Next time try thinking before sniping.

The photos you posted destroy the argument being advanced by some that the missile strikes were deliberately inaccurate in order not to cause casualties because the strikes seem to be quite accurate. The theory being proposed is that the strikes were intended to keep face, not cause damage or loss of life. I am surprised at how little damage each hit actually caused, seems like a very expensive way to toss a pretty ineffective payload.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#204 Post by llondel » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:15 pm

boing wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:03 pm
I am surprised at how little damage each hit actually caused, seems like a very expensive way to toss a pretty ineffective payload.
If things go no further then I'd say it was a very cost-effective strike, saving many lives and a lot of expensive equipment down the line.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#205 Post by FD2 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:43 pm

I know nothing of the usual accuracy of these Iranian ballistic missiles, but in the photos they look pretty accurate. So I guess the zero casualty rate is due to some pretty good bunkers, low rocket payloads or just pure luck. The MIRVs in Polaris/Chevaline/Trident didn't have to be quite as accurate!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#206 Post by Boac » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:09 pm

Boing - "Next time try thinking before sniping." No, why don't you think about what you are posting? Double standards may be alright for the Chump brigade, but pots and kettles - as the saying goes. Look at the history of the US 'interfering militarily in other countries'. Quite an inglorious tally - something to be proud of, is it?

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#207 Post by boing » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:36 pm

Double standards, me? Here are two double standards for you that real Englishmen have cherished since the Globe.

KING HENRY V

It is not a fashion for the maids in France to kiss
before they are married, would she say?

ALICE

Oui, vraiment.

KING HENRY V

O Kate, nice customs curtsy to great kings. Dear
Kate, you and I cannot be confined within the weak
list of a country's fashion: we are the makers of
manners, Kate; and the liberty that follows our
places stops the mouth of all find-faults; as I will
do yours, for upholding the nice fashion of your
country in denying me a kiss: therefore, patiently
and yielding.

(Kissing her)

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#208 Post by barkingmad » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:10 pm

Had they discovered the use of soap and water in France in those golden days?
If not, then the experience might have been a shock for both of them!

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#209 Post by boing » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:15 pm

I read somewhere that the Iranian missiles use GPS guidance. There are three GPS constellations, American, Russian and some sort of European attempt. Which one, if any, did the Iranians use? Is there any way that the GPS signals can be manipulated by playing with the global system or local spoofing that can confuse the missile systems? I imagine the missiles have an inertial platform updated by the GPS similar to the commercial systems but they may use GPS for terminal guidance also. I know that local GPS signals can be used for small area precision operations.

It would seem the US could use local spoofing if they wanted to. Global interference with GPS would obviously cause terrific disruption of commercial flights but perhaps local operation, say within 50 miles of a target, would seem possible but I am sure that somebody else must have thought of this.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#210 Post by OFSO » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:37 pm

Yes, the American system can be altered in real-time to reduce accuracy. I have no doubt that the Russian system also has this facility. The European Commission refused to let the obvious people, the European Space Agency, develop the EU system but developed it in their own area. It is hopelessly over price, over date, and under planned abilities. So we can forget it.
I suspect the Americans would have carried out the appropriate actions to GPS.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#211 Post by OFSO » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:40 pm

GPS currently is showing me in the back garden, rather than in the living room about 15 metres away.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#212 Post by John Hill » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:27 pm

Tractors with GPS can 'navigate' to better than 1 inch accuracy.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#213 Post by llondel » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:35 am

Tractors tend to be out in open fields away from multipath reflections. If you've got a nearby wall which can provide a reflected path which is less than about 200ft difference from the direct path, or worse, provide a reflected path in the absence of a direct path, then a normal commercial GPS is going to degrade its accuracy. Even a satellite just visible over the top of a hill can introduce an erroneous path if the direct path skims the hill and the multipath bounces off near the top.

They're introducing a newer GPS system which will improve accuracy in built-up areas, giving it the chance to detect multipath down to about 25ft.

Slasher

#214 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:18 am

John Hill wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:27 pm
Tractors with GPS can 'navigate' to better than 1 inch accuracy.
You kiddin’ John? Not even what3words can boast that accuracy.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#215 Post by John Hill » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:22 am

Hi Slasher, I am going by what the Deere says:-
http://www.deere.com/common/docs/html/s ... curacy.htm

Slasher

#216 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:26 am

Fair enough. Thanks John.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#217 Post by John Hill » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:43 am

I have a young friend studying for qualifications in the area of agricultural machinery and equipment.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#218 Post by prospector » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:09 am

Certainly call for a very light touch flying to that sort of accuracy with aerial application. The indicator bar would be very active. Following that would leave no time to look for wires or tree branches!!! or even trees.

Back to thread topic, looks very much like the situation has calmed down, for the time being anyway, I am sure somebody will try to jump up the tension somehow again, for whatever reason.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#219 Post by boing » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:31 pm

The action has calmed down but has anything, even minor, changed. Iran still has a working nuclear weapon program, they have lost Sulameni but he has been replaced by another fanatic spewing threats, there has been no agreement to stop Iranian fomented revolution, there is no agreement to stop hassling shipping in the Gulf, Khomeni and his friends are still in power making life miserable for the average Iranian. Nothing has been achieved despite all the threats and fury.

In six months, when Khomeni thinks that the US has lost interest, we will be back to dealing with all of these problems again.
If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well It were done quickly:

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#220 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:37 am

Maybe luck, maybe good judgement, maybe balls on Trumps part, but this has all turned out very nicely for the US, and badly for Iran.

Iran look like callous fools, for the shootdown.
General Sue, dead.
No US casualties.
An exit strategy- at last- from Iraq, albeit chucked out.

Plenty of plusses here.