The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

Re: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

#261 Post by Stoneboat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:05 pm

"... Canada kept the monarchy, and a head of state we share with various Commonwealth countries.
As keep it we should. I can answer the why with three words. "President Justin Trudeau." :ymsick:

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#262 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:57 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:30 pm
Do we really think that a private bodyguard in N. America has this sort of training. Of course not.
I am sure there are ex Secret Service agents willing to provide this kind of service but I am also sure the Duchess of Sussex won't pay the price asked. Kindly refrain from being angry at me but I am surprised you call her Markle and not Duchess of Sussex.
RiS you know my Royalist views. I have never accepted this woman to be a member of the Royal Family. Her recent behaviour has proven me right. May it be a rapid divorce, she stripped of her title and HRH PH welcomed back into the fold. She can go back to being a stupid actress.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#263 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:57 pm
Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:30 pm
Do we really think that a private bodyguard in N. America has this sort of training. Of course not.
I am sure there are ex Secret Service agents willing to provide this kind of service but I am also sure the Duchess of Sussex won't pay the price asked. Kindly refrain from being angry at me but I am surprised you call her Markle and not Duchess of Sussex.
RiS you know my Royalist views. I have never accepted this woman to be a member of the Royal Family. Her recent behaviour has proven me right. May it be a rapid divorce, she stripped of her title and HRH PH welcomed back into the fold. She can go back to being a stupid actress.
Ex-A full in agreement with you for the second message and not her not deserving to be a part of the family. Unfortunately I don't feel optimistic about a royal divorce.11

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#264 Post by probes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:46 pm

A good one (in my mind), by Jan Moir:

Yesterday, on what must have been his last official duty as a senior royal, Prince Harry talked about the mental health perils of ‘grin and bear it’.
He is of the modern mindset that everything must be talked about, indulged, fretted over endlessly like a kitten with a ball of wool.
I would argue that ‘grin and bear it’ is the essence of the human condition.
It is what gets most of us through every day. It certainly got us through two world wars, Brexit and Cats the movie.
And right now it is probably the only thing that is getting his grandmother through from dawn to dusk.

Good deeds from Meghan Markle, yes. But who do they help the most?

Is there any chance they would just be let alone, like they've expressed they wish to? Maybe they've already bought their 'little castle' in Canada and really want to 'just be' there.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#265 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:55 pm

Boac wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:04 pm
ex-A wrote:Looks as if HRH PA is also going to have to pay within the UK
- has there been some sort of decision?
Apparently under discussion. Decision, PPO will be maintained until it is decided.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#266 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:34 am

Seems that the Royal aides who have been tasked to bash out a plan for HRH PH and 'er by this weekend have failed. Please nobody mention Africa.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#267 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:42 am

I have written to them and suggested that they should apply to you as house-sitters, Ex-A.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#268 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:02 am

Who needs friends?

Capetonian

#269 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:10 am

Dear Mr and Mrs Ex-Ascot

We are a recently married couple and we would like to apply for your job as house sitters in Botswana.

We had our honeymoon there and I am very used to Africa. My wife is scared of those big grey animals with big ears and a long nose that they use to pick up food with, but she'll get over it. She is of African descent and will fit in quickly with the locals. In fact they may even fit into her.

I am not very domesticated as I grew up in a palace with slaves to pick up after me, but then that's the same in Botswana isn't it, where the locals are subservient to the white man, even gingerheads.

My wife grew up in a trailer park in America and is used to not having electricity or running water. After she left school aged 12, she worked as a soap opera actress until she kissed a frog and married a prince.

If you need references, my father will be happy to provide one, but you will have to find out who he is first. My granny might help. You can see her portrait on British coins and banknotes.

We can move in whenever you like and we will move out whenever we like.

Guess who?

PS : I forgot to say we have a piccanin so we would need a baby sitter.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#270 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:55 pm

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#271 Post by probes » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:56 pm

Ok, at the end of the day, let's face the music in the nutshell (to reach out to another thread of corporate BS) and get it on the table: the Good Ol' England just isn't rich enough to afford an 'international influencer' as a wedded wife of one of its Princes.

"They say it is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable, but how about a compromise like moderately rich and just moody?"

Princess Diana

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#272 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:00 pm

Well that's that then, no HRH and please pay £2.4m for the cottage if you want to keep using it.

So Harry is now just a common or garden prince and she is still a princess I guess.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#273 Post by John Hill » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:00 pm

Good one Cape :-bd
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#274 Post by probes » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:02 pm

"As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from royal duties, including official military appointments."

well, that's tough, isn't it?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#275 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:06 pm

Yeah, no free dinners, all those uniforms can stay in storage.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#276 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:49 pm

I guess that PH will have to get used to mucking in with his mates when dining in at reunions.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#277 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:13 pm

I would assume and hope that his substantive army rank (Lt??) would remain. I don't think he served long enough to earn a pension or a gratuity so he will not be 'rolling in dosh' there.

It will be interesting to read the settlement detail - hopefully without spin from any side.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#278 Post by ian16th » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:21 pm

Wasn't Harry a Captain? Though he might be the honoury Colonel of a regiment or two.
Cynicism improves with age

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#279 Post by ian16th » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:23 pm

The 600lb gorilla in the room, is the fact that the Canadian government do not seem to have had a representative at the talks!
Cynicism improves with age

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#280 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:25 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:21 pm
Wasn't Harry a Captain? Though he might be the honoury Colonel of a regiment or two.
On 19 December 2017 he succeeded his grandfather Prince Philip as the Captain General of the Royal Marines.
In May 2018, he was promoted to the substantive ranks of Lieutenant Commander of the Royal Navy, Major of the British Army and Squadron Leader of the Royal Air Force.