The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

#3021 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:56 pm

Judge rules Prince Harry was not unfairly stripped of U.K. security detail after he moved to the U.S.
The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/judg ... rcna140854

LONDON — Prince Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and moved to the U.S., a London judge ruled Wednesday.

Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.

The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media.

His lawyer argued that the government group that evaluated Harry’s security needs acted irrationally and failed to follow its own policies that should have required a risk analysis of the duke’s safety.

A government lawyer said Harry had been treated fairly and was still provided protection on some visits, citing a security detail that guarded him in June 2021 when he was chased by photographers after attending an event with seriously ill children at Kew Gardens in west London.

The committee that made the decision to reject his security request considered the wider impact that the “tragic death” of his mother, the late Princess Diana, had on the nation, and in making its decision gave greater weight to the “likely significant public upset were a successful attack” on her son to happen, attorney James Eadie said.

Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with royal family tradition in his willingness to go to court to challenge both the government and take on tabloids in his effort to hold publishers accountable for hounding him throughout his life.

The lawsuit was one of six cases Harry has brought in the High Court. Three were related to his security arrangements and three have been against tabloid publishers for allegedly hacking phones and using private investigators to snoop on his life for news stories.

In his first case to go to trial, Harry won a big victory last year against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over phone hacking allegations, winning a judgment in court and ultimately settling remaining allegations that were due to go to trial. While the settlement was undisclosed, he was to be reimbursed for all his legal fees and was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000).

He recently withdrew a libel case against the Daily Mail over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. Harry dropped the case after a judge ruled he was more likely to lose at trial because the publisher could show that statements issued on his behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.

Harry failed to persuade a different judge last year that he should be able to privately pay for London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3022 Post by OFSO » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:26 pm

He was asking us taxpayers to finance security so he could bring his children to the UK (he said). On reflection, I'll keep my pennies in my pocket if he keeps his offspring in California. And his wife. And himself.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3023 Post by llondel » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:50 pm

I wonder how much of his willingness to lawyer up is down to the US influence?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3024 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:31 am

llondel wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:50 pm
I wonder how much of his willingness to lawyer up is down to the US influence?
That actress tart will be behind it, like everything else he says or does.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#3025 Post by limeygal » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:46 am

This whole security obsession is BS. They swan about in the US without any problem. This is in a country where anyone it seems can own a gun. It's just more attention seeking. I think everyone is tired of this dog and pony show. The fact that HRHKC only gave him 45 minutes of his time during his "flying" visit is very revealing. Ginge needs to grow a pair. He is totally whipped.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3026 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:29 pm

limeygal wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:46 am
This whole security obsession is BS. They swan about in the US without any problem. This is in a country where anyone it seems can own a gun. It's just more attention seeking. I think everyone is tired of this dog and pony show. The fact that HRHKC only gave him 45 minutes of his time during his "flying" visit is very revealing. Ginge needs to grow a pair. He is totally whipped.
Oh dear Mam, bang goes your Damehood.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#3027 Post by limeygal » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:54 pm

Ex-A, I can live with the disappointment.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3028 Post by probes » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:39 am

"Which brings us to the clown known as Prince Harry. This week court documents revealed that he demanded to know the identity of whoever in government was responsible for downgrading his police protection.
‘I would like that person’s name,’ he said, much in the manner of Tony Soprano, perhaps in dream sequence ruff and tights, putting the heat on Paulie Walnuts.
What was Harry going to do? Have said person brought to his royal chambers in a tumbril, thereupon to be tortured by being made to listen to Meghan’s latest podcast on compassion in action?
" [Jan Moir]

I laughed :)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3029 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:09 am

Surely it would not be just one person, wouldn't it be a committee?

Just watched a rather lengthy analysis, by a body language chap, of Ginge's interview at Whistler. His best bet is that Ginge doesn't know the true situation with HMK's health. They did not tell him. This would seem feasible, he can't be trusted with such intel.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3030 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:39 pm

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, says she experienced ‘cruel’ bullying and abuse during her pregnancies

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/09/world/me ... index.html

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, has said she experienced “cruel” online bullying and abuse, the “bulk” of which occurred during her pregnancies.

Speaking on stage at an event at the South by Southwest festival (SXSW) in Austin, Texas, on Friday, Meghan said, “I keep my distance from (social media) right now just for my own wellbeing.”

“The bulk of the bullying and abuse that I was experiencing in social media and online was when I was pregnant with Archie and with Lili, and with a newborn,” she continued.

“And you just think about that and you have to really wrap your head around why people would be so hateful. It’s not catty. It’s cruel,” she added.

The duchess gave birth to Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, her first child with husband Prince Harry, on May 6, 2019. The couple then welcomed Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor on June 4, 2021.

In March 2019, the British royal family royal told social media users to show “courtesy, kindness and respect” when interacting with its online posts, after repeated cases of online abuse directed at Meghan and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge. This followed Kensington Palace asking social media firms for help in combating the boom in abuse, which included sexist and racist comments.

The palace staff also began devoting more resources to filtering and deleting comments targeting Meghan, and blocking abusive Twitter and Instagram accounts.

“In the digital space and in certain sectors of the media, we have forgotten about our humanity. And that has got to change,” Meghan went on to say. “Because I understand there’s a bottom line, and I understand that a lot of money is being made there. But even if it’s making dollars, it doesn’t make sense.”

Meghan and Harry relocated with Archie to California after stepping back from the British royal family in 2020, and have frequently criticized press intrusion into their lives in the UK and US. The couple filed a lawsuit in California that year over paparazzi photographs of their then-toddler, Archie.

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3031 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:15 pm

Nobody loves you . . .

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3032 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:13 am

Oh dear Mam, bang goes your Damehood.
Ex-A, I can live with the disappointment.
Hmm.... "Dame Limeygal" does have a certain je ne sais quoi to it now, does it not? ^:)^

Re Meghan's latest whinge; I really wonder if anyone anywhere really gives a s*%t about either of those two anymore! ~X(
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3033 Post by probes » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:29 am

They must - why else did they want to listen to her 'inspiring and uplifting' story of writing to protest against a certain ad, umpteenth time? :D

But, of course, compassion in action - they 'weep tears of joy', visiting the family of the teacher killed in Texas shooting, to sing 'happy birthday. With their camera crew, of course.
Pathetic.

I read extracts about compassion in action by the Simpsons', some similarities are staggerring. Like Edward hoping to get more influence after the King's death, given 'the girl', i.e. The Queen Elisabeth, was so young.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3034 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:10 am

That bitch has done it again. Launches a new brand (American Riviera Orchard) the day that HRH PoW is addressing the 25th anniversary of the Diana Legacy Awards at the science museum.

Hope the stupid brand is a flop. Any one for a pot of jam no doubt with her Royal crest on it? This is exactly the sort of thing the late HMQ wanted to avoid.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#3035 Post by limeygal » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:19 am

Re Meghan's latest whinge; I really wonder if anyone anywhere really gives a s*%t about either of those two anymore!
It's all become rather pathetic and boring-the constant need for attention and the victimhood. It's all just whining, and nobody likes a whiner. I haven't seen any coverage about them over here in months. Long may it stay that way. L-)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3036 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:30 pm

limeygal wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:19 am
Re Meghan's latest whinge; I really wonder if anyone anywhere really gives a s*%t about either of those two anymore!
It's all become rather pathetic and boring-the constant need for attention and the victimhood. It's all just whining, and nobody likes a whiner. I haven't seen any coverage about them over here in months. Long may it stay that way. L-)
Sorry LG, but I think you might want to expand your sources of "news".
I see coverage of them all too often. Even one mention is one too many.

PP

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3037 Post by probes » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:23 pm

Sarah Vine put it well in my mind: I'm sure audiences will lap it up, especially when they discover they too can buy their very own cake slice of the Sussex lifestyle. 'Meghan will be making and selling products such as jams', we are told. 'And at some point there will be a book and blog etc.' I would expect nothing less. All jam, no Jerusalem. It's what she's always wanted.
:) I agree. Don't think it would be that easy (certain personalities just can't stop), but still.
And I wonder - she/they lied, it's proven and the show goes on as if nothing happened. Same with some politicians. How can it be?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3038 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:03 pm

And I wonder - she/they lied, it's proven and the show goes on as if nothing happened. Same with some politicians. How can it be?

Ask P. T. Barnum.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3039 Post by Boac » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:06 pm

It's said that the word 'gullible' is not in the Oxford dictionary.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#3040 Post by limeygal » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:48 am

Sorry LG, but I think you might want to expand your sources of "news".
I see coverage of them all too often. Even one mention is one too many.
The last thing I need is to see more "news." I certainly don't want to expand my exposure to it. Not for me, thanks.