jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

Re: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

#2981 Post by jimtherev » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:33 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:50 pm
They are supposed to be at the Super Bowl tomorrow. ~X(
Since this is just about the most wagered on sporting event and you can bet on just about anything remotely related to the game, I wonder what the ratio of mentions/showings of Taylor Swift vs. TDFKAP (The Dook formerly known as Prince) will be. :-?
50-1. Any takers? =))

PP
Anyone care?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2982 Post by llondel » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:17 am

I don't care who's there, I just care about when it finishes because the local team is involved and I don't want to be out on the road at the end because the crazies will be out in force.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#2983 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:13 am

Ginge and Nutmeg have rebranded with a very controversial new web site: www.Sussex.com The content is a load of drivel but it is adorned with Royal crests and crowns. This is blatant use of the 'Royal' connection for marketing purposes and is not permitted. I hope that they are forced to close it down.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2984 Post by probes » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:21 am

Being a - or the? - NY Times Best Selling author and major advocate for mental health, family care, and gender equity, the divine duchess has to be our inspiration!

Sorry, I did take a look. Can't be unseen. :(

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#2985 Post by limeygal » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:34 pm

What a load of vomit inducing crap. The home page picture was so phony. Good news for the Ex-A's, Ginge and Whinge are going to save the Okavango Delta. I have heard about exaggerating CV's, but they have raised it to an artform. Do I see a canonization or two coming down the pike? :ymsick:

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2986 Post by 1DC » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:40 pm

Camilla Tominey's article in todays Daily Telegraph weighs it up perfectly..

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2987 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:48 pm

1DC wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:40 pm
Camilla Tominey's article in todays Daily Telegraph weighs it up perfectly..
Paywalled here.
Any chance of pasting the article? :-?

PP

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2988 Post by probes » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:16 pm

ditto (the article).

I wonder what the answer will be when the little girl asks: "Mommy, what am I the princess of?" - "Well, honey, the institution that Daddy and me totally loathe." ?

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2989 Post by 1DC » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:53 pm

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2990 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:21 pm

Nope ~X(

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2991 Post by OFSO » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:33 pm

OK here. A very bitter report, but I fear every word is true

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2992 Post by Wodrick » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:54 pm

shamelessly trades on the Sussex title
Camilla Tominey
Associate Editor
13 February 2024 • 1:09pm
Camilla Tominey
Related Topics

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Harry and Meghan Netflix Documentary, Meghan Markle

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have rebranded their website
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have rebranded their website Credit: Rolf Vennenbernd/Avalon/Avalon

What to make of Harry and Meghan’s latest rebrand?

Well, it’s certainly very regal. When they’re in their leisurewear, reading out their WhatsApps from William and Kate on Netflix, they’re “H and Meg”. But when they’re “shaping the future through business and philanthropy” they’re very much Prince Harry & Meghan The Duke and Duchess of Sussex – and don’t you forget it. We’re talking white capital letters in a majestic font on a navy blue background. Serious stuff folks.

Why Harry is “Prince” Harry but Meghan is just plain old “Meghan” rather than “Duchess” Meghan is not explained to us mere mortals. Perhaps the former actress would have preferred “Princess Meghan”? Or maybe Duchess is just a bit too Downton Abbey/Wallis Simpson for the down-to-earth American’s liking.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's website has been given a 'majestic' new look
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's website has been given a 'majestic' new look Credit: Sussex.com/PA

As we learn later, the wholesome mother-of-two went to an all-girls Catholic school “which she continues to support as an alumna”.

Oh, to be in on one of Meghan’s guest assemblies: “Kidnapped by the monarchy: How I spent a summer at Sir Elton John’s Nice mansion without access to my passport.”

Naturally, there is no reference to the dreaded Windsors – beyond the conspicuous use of a Royal coat of arms, which is Meghan’s, not Harry’s, obvs. The purposeful prominence of the crest once again lays bare the contradiction at the heart of the couple’s quest to “find their freedom”.

Harry once accused William and Charles of being “trapped” in the monarchy but as sovereign and heir to the throne, that’s surely an occupational hazard. What’s Harry and Meghan’s excuse?

There is absolutely no reason for these non-working royals to carry on using their titles – not least with an entire website dedicated to telling the world that they are much, much more than mere royalty.

“Humanitarian, military veteran, mental health advocate and environmental campaigner,” Harry, we are told, has “dedicated his adult life to advancing causes that he is passionate about and that advance permanent change for people and places”.

Meghan, meanwhile, is a “feminist and champion of human rights and gender equity” with a “lifelong advocacy for women and girls”. Wow. So while Harry only started his philanthropy in adulthood, Meghan was doing it as a baby. Impressive.

She is also apparently a “major advocate” for “family care”, which may come as a surprise to her estranged father and the rest of the Markle family she doesn’t appear to have cared much about in years.
No mention of ‘racist’ royals

Speaking of clans, the “racist” Royals obviously do not merit a mention, although we are reminded of this unwelcoming horror show of an institution in the reference to “Prince” Archie and “Princess” Lilibet, saddled for life by their parents with an ongoing association to their white supremacist colonialist forebears.

I guess it means they won’t have any problems booking tables at expensive restaurants, although if recent experience is anything to go by – being called Prince or Princess doesn’t seem to guarantee you a front-row seat at the Super Bowl.

And what of the content of “Archewell: The Sequel”, which features a photograph of the gleeful couple smiling and clapping – but with half of Harry’s (balding) head cropped off. (One imagines that Meghan did most of the proof reading as well as picking the pictures).

Charity should not just be a “handout” but “hand held”, we are advised, and by the way it was Meghan, not Harry, who came up with this catchy riff on Oxfam’s “don’t just give them fish but the means to catch it” slogan.

The blurb confirms their status not just as paragons of charitable virtue but “bestselling authors”, with Spare described as a memoir of Harry’s life “told with compassion, vulnerability, and unflinching honesty” which was the publishing industry’s “fastest-selling non-fiction book, selling more than 1.4 million copies on its first day of publication”. Think Diary of a Wimpy Kid meets War and Peace.

Meghan’s description as “one of the most influential women in the world” is rather more lofty. The evidence for this claim appears to be that the author of the children’s picture book, The Bench, featured in Time magazine’s most influential people, the Financial Times’s 25 most influential women, Variety Power of Women, and British Vogue’s Vogue 25 – although not, curiously, the final issue by outgoing editor Edward Enninful, published last week, featuring 40 female “legends”. Ouch.

The summary goes to great lengths (588 words to Harry’s 340) to remind everyone that she is a great deal more than just his wife.

Meghan’s podcast Archetypes is mentioned in its capacity as being Number One in 47 countries – not as a one-hit wonder that was axed after one season. Unsurprisingly, the word “grifter”, which was used to describe the pair by Spotify mogul Bill Simmons, doesn’t feature on the website at all.
Harry and Meghan's previous site, Archewell, now automatically redirects to Sussex.com
Harry and Meghan's previous site, Archewell, now automatically redirects to Sussex.com Credit: Sussex.com/pa

Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of the rebrand, however, is the tag line on the “Archewell Foundation” page: “Show up, Do good”. While an admirable rallying cry to the masses, visitors to sussex.com could arguably be forgiven for wondering when exactly, apart from the commendable Invictus Games, Harry and Meghan have shown up and done good since leaving the Royal family.

Meghan cites Smart Works, which supports women to enter the workforce, and the Hubb Community Kitchen at Grenfell – but like Invictus, both initiatives happened when she was in “The Firm”.

Since “Megxit”, what have they done? They’ve shown up and done Oprah; shown up and done Netflix; shown up and gone Spare; shown up and sued The Sun, the Daily Mail and The Mirror.

They’ve shown up at awards ceremonies (but only the ones in which they are recipients) and shown up in “near catastrophic” car chases that the police say never actually happened.

They’ve shown up and self-promoted; shown up and complained about invasion of privacy, while invading their relatives’ privacy.

As a result of their behaviour, they’ve been shown up on South Park and Family Guy.

But with their popularity having tanked both here and in the US, none of it seems to have done them much good, let alone anyone else. It is a shame because these two actually do have the power to make a difference, if only they could get over themselves.

The perception of Harry and Meghan as a couple who do more harm than good has got to change if this rebrand is going to live up to its magisterial pretensions.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2993 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:20 am

Ok here as well. Some of the comments are quite cutting as well.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2994 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:59 am

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, lands new podcast deal after parting ways with Spotify

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/13/entertai ... index.html

Less than a year after Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, ended their podcasting partnership with Spotify, Meghan has a new podcasting partner.

Meghan will bring a new, yet-to-be-announced podcast to Lemonada Media, which issued a press release with the news on Tuesday. In addition to her new podcast, Lemonada will also stream “Archetypes,” Meghan’s podcast that debuted in 2022 on Spotify.

Lemonada did not release additional details about the podcast, other than Markle serving as its host.

Under the new creative partnership, Lemonada will begin streaming “Archetypes” this spring, handling ad sales and distribution. “Archetypes” featured conversations between Meghan and other notable women, including Mariah Carey, Mindy Kaling and Issa Rae.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. A spokesperson for Archewell Productions, the company founded by Harry and Meghan, did not respond to CNN’s inquiry regarding the terms of the deal.

“I’m proud to now be able to share that I am joining the brilliant team at Lemonada to continue my love of podcasting,” Meghan said in a statement. “Being able to support a female founded company with a roster of thought provoking and highly entertaining podcasts is a fantastic way to kick off 2024. Our plan to re-release ‘Archetypes’ so that more people can now have access to it, as well as launching a dynamic new podcast are well in the works. I’m so eager to be able to share it soon, and am overjoyed to be joining the Lemonada family.”

“Meghan’s talent as host, creator and conversationalist is unparalleled and we are thrilled to co-create a new series with her that fosters her approach to creating art that matters,” said Lemonada CEO and co-founder, Jessica Cordova Kramer.

The company’s chief creative officer and co-founder, Stephanie Wittels Wachs, added, “As we’ve started development with The Duchess of Sussex, we are blown away by her collaborative spirit and clear vision, along with her deep desire to build compassion and community through this work.”

Lemonada Media is home to Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ podcast, “Wiser Than Me with Julia Louis-Dreyfus,” “Choice Words with Samantha Bee” and more.

After stepping down as senior royals and moving to the United States in 2020, Harry and Meghan secured numerous media deals, including with Spotify and Netflix, the streaming home of their docuseries, “Harry & Meghan,” which chronicled their courtship, their relationship with the media and their decision to leave royal life.

The couple’s multi-year partnership ended with Spotify in June 2023. At the time, Archewell and Spotify said to CNN that both companies “have mutually agreed to part ways and are proud of the series we made together.”

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#2995 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:49 am

Yet another exec jet to get to Vancouver.

A good comment on Arrse is that most of the rubbish on the web site will have been from Nutmeg whilst Ginge sat chewing the crayons. =))

An interesting legal point of view:

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#2996 Post by limeygal » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:11 pm

“Meghan’s talent as host, creator and conversationalist is unparalleled
True that: Host-try and stop me taking charge
Creator-I love to make sh*t up
Conversationalist-I can talk about myself for hours

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2997 Post by probes » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:08 pm

Dear 'gal,
one might get the impression you're not too impressed? :-?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2998 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:28 pm

probes wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:08 pm
Dear 'gal,
one might get the impression you're not too impressed? :-?
I, for one, am impressed by her analysis. :YMAPPLAUSE:

PP

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#2999 Post by limeygal » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:54 am

Dear 'gal, one might get the impression you're not too impressed?
Probes-wherever did you get that idea? ;)))

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3000 Post by probes » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:04 pm

Kindred spirit, maybe? :)
I've read they are the family Sussex now.