The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

#301 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 pm

When Meghan moved to London in November 2017 to live with Prince Harry, initially at Kensington Palace’s Nottingham Cottage, she packed up her clothes and put them into storage in Toronto for use at a later date.
Since she became a working royal, her working wardrobe has been financed by the Prince of Wales.
In the time since her wedding, Meghan has worn an estimated £847,132.49 worth of clothes according to Femail.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#302 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:42 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:49 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:32 pm
Boac wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:29 pm
According to today's 'Mirror' she will now be in the sights of the Chump as she has criticised him in the past. Oh what fun she is going to have.
And to avoid fake news, I think we have seen enough of the bachelor Prince partying to give the Immigration Department pause for thought.
Poor chap has been banned from partying now by 'er.
I don't think the Americans do forgive and forget. Might get credit for being a Vet. 😁

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#303 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:08 pm

The Queen said we'd all be sad to see the woman go. Speak for yourself, HRM, speak for yourself.

Capetonian

#304 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:18 pm

..... it is not going to be nearly as easy as the Royal Couple seem to imagine. Losing the HRH title is going to be a major blow. The trouble is, Brand Sussex may not be worth nearly as much as the couple think it is – and, with the loss of its crucial HRH, it may well be dwindling in value every day.
Oh dear, how sad. Well, never mind.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#305 Post by probes » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:34 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:56 pm
Heard this morning on the radio: "such a pity her Majesty was not asked to be in charge of Brexit, organising it would have taken weeks, not years..."
:YMPARTY: - she would.
How is it possible that she's so alert and decisive, after all, 93 is some age for even a Queen?

And, C-Cptn, who would give information about what she put in the storage? As a hint she wasn't planning to stay for long?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#306 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:30 pm

probes wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:34 pm
G-Cptn, who would give information about what she put in the storage? As a hint she wasn't planning to stay for long?
Meghan kept clothes in Canada when she moved to Britain to start new life.

Capetonian

#308 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:52 pm

I don't think she is very clever. Sly, cunning, conniving and manipulative, but bright .... no.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#309 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:21 pm

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#310 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:38 pm

On previous visits would he have travelled On a standard passport or had a Royal/Diplomatic one? Or even, as I had until I retired, a travel order?
Guess "Royalty" don't even go through Imm. Control, being whisked off in the black Cadillac from the aircraft side ? But now ?

and .... when / if he qualifies for a US Green Card, what fun paying US Tax on Worldwide Income !

TV "Comment" in NZ this morning, one spokesman suggesting that the marriage will be over by Christmas, followed by a massive row about "possession" of any children, and the other team woman giving it five years. I'll shoot for two. Bets ?

Slasher

#311 Post by Slasher » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:10 am

Just hit me! Beechcraft had named all their aircraft after English peerage. Duke Baron Duchess etc.

Except the V35 and A36 Bonanza. The V35 should be renamed the Markle - annoyingly waggles its arse all the time and a complete bitch to control.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#312 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:52 am

PN good point about him being a 'Vet'. He will get street cred for that over there.

Speedy:
Guess "Royalty" don't even go through Imm. Control, being whisked off in the black Cadillac from the aircraft side
They do not physically go through immigration but all but HMQ go through the process. We held their passports as they were whisked off and an immigration officer would come on board to fill in the paperwork.

Good one Capt. =))

CPTN, thanks for that clip. How much will tickets cost? I want to be there.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#313 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:12 am

Just hit me! Beechcraft had named all their aircraft after English peerage. Duke Baron Duchess etc.
Well done, never thought of it either.
and A36 Bonanza.
Isn't that what they get when they are awarded a Peerage ?

Love the "Markle". clever.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#314 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:19 am

TV "Comment" in NZ this morning, one spokesman suggesting that the marriage will be over by Christmas, followed by a massive row about "possession" of any children, and the other team woman giving it five years. I'll shoot for two. Bets ?
Sucker bet.

Where is Harry right now? Mrs PN thinks UK until Spring. Now real celebs would commute TA. Is he just giving M space?

When it comes to 7th in line, is he far enough down the line to be his parents to do with?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#315 Post by probes » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:02 am

Some no-nonsense reading for a change (never mind the DW):

Can they make it work? As Prince Harry and Meghan Markle prepare to start a new life abroad, SARAH VINE and JAN MOIR detail their fears for the couple's future in Canada

"By his own admission Harry wants to lead a ‘normal’ life and have less publicity. The same is not strictly true of Meghan. One of the principal reasons she was so unhappy as a Royal was because she found the constraints restrictive to her ‘brand’. [---] Witness also the trademarking of the Sussex name, not to mention the phalanx of agents and media advisers already on-board. Whatever it is Meghan has in mind for their next steps, it’s not the quiet life that Harry says he has always longed for."

"No doubt the Sussexes will be hoping to follow the lucrative post-presidential career path of the Obamas, who have scored a Netflix production deal.
But let’s be honest, the two couples are not quite in the same league, are they?
The Obamas have a deep cultural and political hinterland in America, not to mention personal gravitas, intellectual rigour and buckets of charm. Oh, and eight years in the White House."

"So yes, Hollywood wants them, but for how long? Can you make a livelihood out of being worthy and ethical? Is a career built on sustainability really sustainable? Even Bono has to sing a song now and again and Greta Thunberg has to do her homework.
According to the deal they’ve agreed Harry and Meghan are free to do as they please — so long as it still pleases the Queen. So expect a lot of modest good works in the beginning. Closely followed by big movie deals, chat show sofas, guest appearances. . . Am I being too unkind? As movie mogul Sam Goldwyn once said: ‘Too caustic? To hell with the costs, we’ll make the picture anyway.’"

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#316 Post by 1DC » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:41 pm

Prince Harry,allegedly, caught the 1730 BA flight to Vancouver this evening..

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#317 Post by probes » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:03 am

His final speech in the charity event was quite something, too (especially as you listen to it)- either a PR thing or he really has no clue. Of 'hoping to serve' with their own income. Let's say, if the 'pitching' for voiceovers had resulted in someone saying: no, we've got better ones, what then? Can royal offers be turned down?
Poor guy. And all this mess in 18 months.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#318 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:30 am

Didn't the Duke of Windsor hope to serve too?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#319 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:35 am

Look, they don't want to be bothered by the public and I don't want to be bothered by them. I'd be as happy as a pig in shi*t if no mention of them was ever made again. They are unpersons in my view, less interesting than Justin Bieber...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#320 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:41 am

Who?