A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

#1341 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:08 am

4mastacker wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:12 pm
I'm giving them a stiff ignoring. Is there some drying paint that needs watching?
My son cut the grass yesterday, you're welcome to come watch it grow back.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1342 Post by FD2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:12 am

That was the photo I thought Megain reminded me of:

The Look.png

What a shame the grubby pair don't seem to be getting much support from the British press, right or left wing. A left wing paper here has even printed a critical 'opinion' piece about them!

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1343 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:05 am

When Ginge was still Commandant of Marines, or whatever that silly title was, the Household should have appointed the wee prick as Governor of South Georgia.

Plenipotentiary to Grytviken. Penguin suit not optional, but compulsory. Afrika Korps uniform strictly forbidden during daylight hours and never to be photographed during the wearing of.

Cable & Wireless terminal to be carefully rationed to one call a week, strictly limited to one call to FCO only. 12:00z sharp, every Tuesday.

Grattan catalogue, or Matalan equivalent, for Mz Simpson, to be included in half-yearly shipment of victuals.

Shaving mirror and safety razors, Plenipotentiary for the use of, to be kept in good supply. Mz Simpson, armpits for the use of, to be considered in ration of shaving soap.

No disposable nappies, plenty of Daz or Omo instead.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1344 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:08 am

Bullying allegations and driving three junior staff to resign while resident in the UK denied by MM.

Watching Piers Morgan thrusting the pics into Megan's back is an interesting diversion from watching Piers Morgan thrusting the other pics into Nicola's back.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1345 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:10 am

Thrusting things into Nicola sounds to me like good telly.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1346 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:21 am

UP, down there also too cold for his alternative party wear. Not much Coke down there either.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1347 Post by probes » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 am

Ok, at least we know now what 'privacy' means - private interviews with/for friends, broadcast all over the world.
Which the palace had allegedly denied, due to reasons they interpreted as privacy?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1348 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:50 pm

HRH PP does not seem to be very well. If these two 'erberts allow this CBS interview to go ahead they are history with the British public. The Americans will probably think that they are heros standing up for whatever rights they promote.

Seems that ITV may pull the plug on the programme.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1349 Post by FD2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:23 pm

I'm an old cynic about Ginge and his handler but the thought popped into my head - could the interview 'look' be deliberate, to make her look like Mrs Simpson and stick two fingers up at HMQ?

She has claimed that there is a deliberate smear campaign underway against her. Let's hope the Palace can find evidence to back up what have so far been plenty of rumours of her misbehaviour. There's nothing worse in modern wokeness than being accused of bullying. :))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1350 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:17 pm

Rumour has it that China has been broken and worse. Did you read about the earrings?

That could have been the Scottish defence. It wasna a gift but a lone, but if it was a gift is nae mine but belongs to the Crown and no I dina know where its at.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1351 Post by FD2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:50 pm

Ginge's keeper has, of course, been 'subject to bullying' herself. That would be the expected retort but by suggesting that there is a witch hunt against her with these suggestions being published in the press she gives the Palace tacit permission to investigate these matters as fully as possible.

Now that might throw up, sorry, uncover some interesting stuff that has gone on since she graced the Royal Family with her presence. Rumours abound over matters such as the tiara tantrum, the string of sacked nannies and other staff, the earrings embarrassment, reducing Kate to tears on at least two occasions, 'unfriending' old friends and relatives no longer needed, etc etc.

What a shame it has gone from a joyous welcome and huge splurge on the wedding to the present state of affairs is amazing and none of their fault, natch.

Apologies for showing the full article - it's to avoid the paywall. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-famil ... ng-claims/

Buckingham Palace to investigate Duchess of Sussex bullying claims

Buckingham Palace says it is 'very concerned' about allegations made by former staff of the Duke and Duchess
By Victoria Ward 3 March 2021 • 6:50pm

Buckingham Palace is to investigate claims that the Duchess of Sussex bullied several members of her staff, it has been announced.

A spokesman said they were “clearly very concerned” about allegations that Meghan, 39, had forced out two PAs and undermined the confidence of a third during her time as a working royal.

Aides had expressed concerns about how such matters were handled by the palace, expressing concern that nothing was done at the time to investigate the situation, and that nothing had been done since to protect staff against the possibility of bullying by a member of the Royal Family.

Buckingham Palace confirmed that its HR team would now look into the circumstances outlined in various allegations leaked to The Times.

It said: “Members of staff involved at the time, including those who have left the Household, will be invited to participate to see if lessons can be learned.

“The Royal Household has had a Dignity at Work policy in place for a number of years and does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace.”

While the palace did not reveal a timetable for its investigation, it is understood that HR staff hope to begin soon. Any resulting change in policy or procedure will be shared in its annual Sovereign Grant report, which highlights significant changes in operations.

The provenance of the leaked allegations caused the battle between the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the Royal Household to escalate as palace aides branded allegations they had leaked the claims as “untrue” and “disingenuous”.

The revelation that Meghan faced several complaints of bullying from members of her own staff also thwarted hopes of a reconciliation between Prince Harry and Prince William.

Instead, the disclosures about the Duchess’s behaviour provoked another bitter war of words, as palace aides sought to distance themselves from the leak and staff on both sides scrambled to establish who was responsible.

The claims are thought to have been carefully and deliberately collated, with multiple sources briefing against her.

Jason Knauf, the Sussexes’ communications secretary at the time, submitted a formal complaint in October 2018, describing her treatment of one employee as “totally unacceptable.” He added: “ The Duchess seems intent on always having someone in her sights.”

The Sussexes are convinced that senior Buckingham Palace aides leaked the allegations as part of an orchestrated defence because they are “nervous” about revelations made in their forthcoming Oprah Winfrey interview, to be broadcast in the US on Sunday.

A source close to the couple said they had “no doubt” it was part of an orchestrated smear campaign.

They added: “It’s not possible for this to have happened without the acknowledgement or understanding, perhaps a gentle nod or a wink, from someone pretty central or senior at the palace.

“How could a junior member of staff have pulled this altogether? This was a clear collaboration. There is a motive and it is connected to Sunday.”

One source noted: “There are very few people who would have had all of the information that is in this story.”

The Duchess, while not denying that she did face bullying complaints, was said to be “devastated” by the revelations.

Aides said that although there was no desire to deny how other people felt, the fact that former colleagues felt compelled to compile “a whole list of terrible things” that took place over two years, was understandably distressing.

As furious briefings and counter briefings were made, a senior palace aide branded the allegation that Buckingham Palace had been “pedalling a wholly false narrative” as “untrue and disingenuous.”

They said: “There are far more important things we have been focused on than the circus around a media interview.”

The source pointed out that the leak did not reflect well on the palace, adding: “It made uncomfortable reading and we can’t deny that.”

Questions were also being asked about palace employees being asked to sign non disclosure agreements.

The atmosphere at Kensington Palace was said to be so "febrile" that the Cambridges chose to accelerate the planned split between the two households.

One member of the Sussexes’ staff acknowledged that life at Kensington Palace at the time was “frantic” and “a bit of a pressure cooker”.

In a statement released in response to the allegations, a spokesman for Meghan said: “The Duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma.

"She is determined to continue her work building compassion around the world and will keep striving to set an example for doing what is right and doing what is good."

The Duchess has vowed to donate the damages from her recent legal victory against the Mail on Sunday to an anti-bullying charity.

The amount she will receive has not yet been decided but, in respect of the breach of copyright claim, will be linked to the newspaper’s “account of profits” made from the publication of extracts of a letter she wrote to her father, Thomas Markle.

However, it will now create a dilemma for whichever charity is chosen as the recipient will be forced to decide whether it could accept the money from someone who had herself been the subject of such accusations.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1352 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:44 am

If, for a change, the BBC was fleet of foot, they could get a programme ready to roll at the appropriate time - say next Tuesday.

You can imagine senior Royals trying to calm things down. 'Give her time Princess, what Meghan wants Meghan gets, but once she passes her protocol exams she will settle in'.

She should have been sat in a room while every episode of Downton was screened. Then she would have learnt how to handle staff. Properly the lower orders would be invisible. You only talk to your personal maid and to staff, through the butler if the master agrees.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1353 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:53 am

Actually, regarding my last, I think actors may follow that protocol too. I believe Arthur Lowe expected to be treated according to his rank off screen .

There was also a Hollywood actor playing a principal historical role who also remain in role off set and expected others to treat him as such.

In Downton, when the cast was gathering at some social gathering and not in role others there automatically divided them according to screen persona.

All the World's a stage dear boy'

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1354 Post by ian16th » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:59 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:53 am
Actually, regarding my last, I think actors may follow that protocol too. I believe Arthur Lowe expected to be treated according to his rank off screen .

There was also a Hollywood actor playing a principal historical role who also remain in role off set and expected others to treat him as such.

In Downton, when the cast was gathering at some social gathering and not in role others there automatically divided them according to screen persona.

When Richard Todd was playing Guy Gibson, during the shooting of The Dam Busters at at RAF Hemswell, he expected to be saluted!
Cynicism improves with age

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1355 Post by tango15 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:20 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:53 am

So many of these people are like that. As previously mentioned, I've come into contact with quite a number of them over the years. The one thread which seems to run through them (apart from their desire for constant attention), is that they know little or nothing of the outside world. Maybe they spend so much time learning lines that the world passes them by - dunno. One I remember well is the recently deceased 'Mike Baldwin' aka Johnny Briggs, who behaved exactly the same both on and off the screen. Many of the older actors, now mostly deceased, seemed to be far more grounded than today's lot, who are no doubt encouraged by the social media and trashy celeb magazines.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1356 Post by probes » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:25 am

Probably.
But then, it's hard to believe the former staff has no real proof to what has been said and written? Now, what?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1357 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:40 am

ian16th wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:59 am
When Richard Todd was playing Guy Gibson, during the shooting of The Dam Busters at at RAF Hemswell, he expected to be saluted!
I believe that was because he was a commissioned officer during WWII. He parachuted into action early on D-Day at Pegasus Bridge so I reckon any salute was well deserved.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1358 Post by ian16th » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:08 am

4mastacker wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:40 am
ian16th wrote:
I believe that was because he was a commissioned officer during WWII. He parachuted into action early on D-Day at Pegasus Bridge so I reckon any salute was well deserved.
I am aware of his CV, but in this case he was an actor in costume!
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1359 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:17 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:08 am
4mastacker wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:40 am
ian16th wrote:
I am aware of his CV, but in this case he was an actor in costume!
It's a bit of a moot point and related to use of rank on retirement. Saluting of a retired officer known to the other person used to be a courtesy in the same way we were briefed to salute 'wives of'.

That latter very much in the past but I think Mrs Wg Cdr are still around though I haven't attended a ladies coffee morning to verify. As No 1 daughter's husband has just been promoted to wg cdr I shall ask her 😊

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1360 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:33 pm

I did read somewhere that during the filming of the "Dambusters" at Hemswell, the actors wore brown shoes so RAF personnel would know they were actors and not officers. The story was Todd, however, insisted on wearing black shoes due to his previous service thus would receive a salute. Bumped into him a couple of times in town, ever the gentleman.
It's always my fault - SWMBO