The Price of Free Speech : Unaffordable?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Price of Free Speech : Unaffordable?

#61 Post by boing » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:41 pm

Fox may be a flash in the pan but in his favour he does have a much wider potential base than the Brexit crowd and the nationalists which should give him wider appeal. He also has that rather less than totally genteel, no nonsense, personality that could connect him to both "middle-class" and "working-class" (expressions I hate but use out of convenience) voters.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by barkingmad » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:19 pm

I would have thought that L F would have been better to throw in his lot with TBP but here he is discussing his new project and apparently with a large donation which has funded ‘Reclaim’ through the next UK General Election;

I suppose it’s reassuring that the Left in the UK are as splintered and disconnected as are the Right but I think the latter group need to unite with the common interests which apparently are their prime motivation ab initio? :-w

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by Karearea » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:28 am

^
TBP
barkingmad - Who or what is that?
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:48 am

Karearea wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:28 am
TBP
barkingmad - Who or what is that?
The Brexit Party?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by barkingmad » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:13 am

TBP = The Brexit Party. Correct, the abbreviation has been used many times before in the forum.

And their name does not mean they are a single issue party, soon to be redundant if we ever escape the clutches of the EUSSR.

Digging into their manifesto reveals plans to overhaul the voting system and the House of Lords amongst other long overdue measures to drain the Westmonster swamp.

Here is a summary;

https://www.theweek.co.uk/general-elect ... t-a-glance

Or you may head across to their website to view the doc in all it’s glory. Interesting to note the use of the word ‘contract’, the word ‘manifesto’ having been degraded and devalued over the years by ALL the main parties?

https://www.thebrexitparty.org/contract/

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by Boac » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:29 am

Yes, these TLAs are a real problem - PITA

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by barkingmad » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:39 am

Agreed, three letter acronyms are a pain in the arse but a simple goggle search will put most of us outa our misery!

Anyone who wishes to infuriate the O-N community by the use of this tool can wander across to this little directory and start a form of communication which might keep some amused for a few minutes, if that long;

http://www.caffnib.co.uk/tla.shtml ~X(

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:52 am

But TBP is not there within!

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by barkingmad » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:15 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:52 am
But TBP is not there within!
You mean you actually went searching for it?! It's a secret organisation known only to the very few and too recent to be included on the list. :-B

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by Boac » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Did you know 'gullible' is not in the Oxford dictionary?

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Karearea » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:45 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:13 am
TBP = The Brexit Party. Correct, the abbreviation has been used many times before in the forum. ...
Thank you.
I had checked back in this thread and did not see the abbreviation used in its earlier pages.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by barkingmad » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:20 am

Karearea sez: “I had checked back in this thread and did not see the abbreviation used in its earlier pages.”

‘This thread’ being the operative phrase, I grant there may be no sign of it’s use in the ‘Free speech’ discussion.

However the “General Election views” thread has numerous references using the acronym and I assumed, wrongly, anyone following the issue of free speech in the UK might have picked up on it before now?

But of course, the UK G E is ancient history, the last post in O-N being late February this year. ^:)^

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by barkingmad » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:14 am

This is an appropriate rant on the effect of the plague on Free Speech, audio only so’s you may continue with the Airfix kit or whatever keeps one sane as the dark days approach.

I am 100% with this guy, no tin hat donned, just shoot if you want! ~X(

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by Boac » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:21 pm

I do not understand the poor man's problems. I think he needs counselling.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:50 pm

If anyone really prizes their own free speech, leaving the UK is a necessity.

Even former Soviet client states and dictatorships permit freer speech than in the UK, although calling the president a cock is not really on the agenda...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:16 am

Chap with dementia playing piano (virtually) with a number of other musicians on BBC Radio 4. Most affecting... he still plays beautifully, sad but happy too...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:19 am

barkingmad wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:19 pm
I would have thought that L F would have been better to throw in his lot with TBP but here he is discussing his new project and apparently with a large donation which has funded ‘Reclaim’ through the next UK General Election;

I suppose it’s reassuring that the Left in the UK are as splintered and disconnected as are the Right but I think the latter group need to unite with the common interests which apparently are their prime motivation ab initio? :-w
A poor actor and and an appalling musician looking for attention. There, you have Mr Fox in a nutshell....
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by Boac » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:52 am

TGG wrote:Chap with dementia playing piano
The man's son was interviewed on the News Channel earlier and was so pro-active and happy. Was off to see Dad and wire up decent speakers for the coming music broadcast. The BBC producer they interviewed was so refreshing in his attitude to the story.

The story 'broke' in September https://indianexpress.com/article/trend ... ne-6602531. The BBC Philharmonic have apparently recorded an orchestral version which is to be released to the streaming services in aid of Dementia charities.

The broadcast may not be 'available' to all but this is the link https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08w7wh2

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by barkingmad » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:07 am

And still the madness spreads like a Covid-1984 pan(dem)ic;

A story from yesterday’s Sunday Times about how once-great publishing houses have succumbed to the woke cult.

‘While finishing her latest book, the novelist Lionel Shriver says she was advised to remove some passages about identity politics, “supposedly out of a desire to protect me from my critics”. Another successful author, who writes for the young adult market, is currently transposing the setting of her novel across continents after a “sensitivity reader” rejected the idea that she, a white woman, could portray the Asian adolescent experience.

Even the bonkbuster queen Jilly Cooper was told by her publisher not to call a character “fat” any more; they now must be deemed “large”.

Every author, agent and publisher in the literary establishment seems to have their own anecdote about censorship, cultural appropriation or “cancel culture”. An industry that was once a bastion of free speech appears to be under siege. Fears are growing that many within it are forsaking a fundamental principle: you should not print the work only of those with whom you agree.

Publishing has been hit by a series of rows in recent months, from the toxic fight over J.K. Rowling’s comments about trans rights to debates about whether authors should be “allowed” to create characters who aren’t like themselves.

Within publishing houses, the split is largely along generational lines, with many younger staff placing a desire not to offend above a devotion to free speech.’ ~X(

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by barkingmad » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:57 pm

Covid-19: Stop anti-vaccination fake news online with new law says Labour https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54947661

Erewego, not content with the Stasi-like regime already implemented by a Conservative administration, the Lefties are calling for further Soviet-style restrictions on free speech.

I will continue to compare Blighty today with the glorious Berlin of 1974 as featured in the More4 TV series “The Same Sky” and to note the similarities between the 2 societies! [-X