The Price of Free Speech : Unaffordable?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Dushan
Capt
Capt

Re: The Price of Free Speech : Unaffordable?

#221 Post by Dushan » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:37 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:13 am
If a strike and a demonstration mean people down-line are losing their income I expect the government to stop the demonstration to help people go on with their live.
Funny you would mention this.

Last month in Ottawa, when the truckers arrived the coffee shops and restaurants, in the area of where they encamped, were opened and started doing a brisk business. Best in two years since for two years all government offices, and a few businesses, in that area were "working" from home and restaurant business was dismal. That lasted a few days, but when the government (city of Ottawa) realized the truckers weren't leaving they sent the police to the shops and restaurants telling them to close "for their own safety", of course.

The demonstrating truckers were not inconveniencing many people. There are no residential buildings in that area and businesses and government offices are still empty. the only ones inconvenienced were the politicians who had to go through the truckers, none of which were violent or threatening.

So the ones who were losing their income were the shops because the local government shut them down, and the truckers because the federal government wouldn't let them operate as of certain date if not vaccinated, while they operated unvaccinated for two years prior to that date.

The protesters are not the problem; the government is (and always has been and always will be).
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#222 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:17 pm

Dushan, I was thinking in terms of a strike of coastal shipping crews just before a summer holiday just because they know it will attract attention, or the metro line operating stuff in a city counting on the public transport system to move people around.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#223 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:21 pm

I suspect that both boing and Dushan are essentially anarchists at heart. Intelligent men basking with the lumpenproletariat.

On a personal note, I respect their will to freedom...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#224 Post by boing » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:31 pm

The problem with strikes that politely do not bother anyone is that no one takes any notice of them. The whole point of a strike is to hopefully subject a corporate body to a little pain and the response of the corporate body is to deflect as much of the pain as they can back onto the general public to reflect the pressure back on the strikers. This is how strikes have always worked.

Like warfare, there is a target but sometimes collateral damage. You are dreaming if you think it can be handled any other way except for the pseudo strikes popular in the public sector.

Sometimes the freedom to strike is the only redress of the oppressed.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#225 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:54 pm

boing wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:31 pm
The problem with strikes that politely do not bother anyone is that no one takes any notice of them. The whole point of a strike is to hopefully subject a corporate body to a little pain and the response of the corporate body is to deflect as much of the pain as they can back onto the general public to reflect the pressure back on the strikers. This is how strikes have always worked.

Like warfare, there is a target but sometimes collateral damage. You are dreaming if you think it can be handled any other way except for the pseudo strikes popular in the public sector.

Sometimes the freedom to strike is the only redress of the oppressed.

But boing, the basis of the "revolution" has to be rational!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#226 Post by Dushan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:03 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:17 pm
Dushan, I was thinking in terms of a strike of coastal shipping crews just before a summer holiday just because they know it will attract attention, or the metro line operating stuff in a city counting on the public transport system to move people around.
Fine, and those don’t get shut down by the government and the participants' bank accounts frozen.
What happened in Ottawa didn’t inconvenience anyone but a few politicians and embarrassed the Clown in Chief. For that he he went full restated and invoked the war measure act.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#227 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:07 am

Dushan wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:03 am
Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fine, and those don’t get shut down by the government and the participants' bank accounts frozen.
What happened in Ottawa didn’t inconvenience anyone but a few politicians and embarrassed the Clown in Chief. For that he he went full restated and invoked the war measure act.
Were you out there fighting for your brothers, or '@#@ debating with pricks like us? =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#228 Post by boing » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:11 am

Sometimes free speech is a problem. Sometimes truth appears as jest.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#229 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:18 am

boing wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:11 am
Sometimes free speech is a problem. Sometimes truth appears as jest.

It is not jest or jester Sir, but I see where are going with this, so I will shut the **** up...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#230 Post by Dushan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:30 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:07 am
Dushan wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:03 am
Rwy in Sight wrote:
Were you out there fighting for your brothers, or '@#@ debating with pricks like us? =))
In the interest of keeping my bank account safe I plead "the fifth"!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#231 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:34 am

Dushan, I have always known you as a sensible man.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#232 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:36 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:34 am
Dushan, I have always known you as a sensible man.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#233 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:34 pm

Dushan, maybe we see the strike effects different. Also there is the issue of obeying laws which ones and how to change them. It seems there isn't a clear list on when to use manifestations and when to lobby.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#234 Post by Dushan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:02 pm

As someone stated earlier, strikes are supposed to inconvenience people and build the pressure onto those who can resolve the conflict to act.
Truckers went to Ottawa with an intent to inconvenience the politicians and get them to act. But they wouldn't budge so the pressure mounted. But it was peaceful protest. No burning cars, no broken window, no buildings on fire. Nothing like what BLM/Antifa bring as the "main event". Al these people had was music, barbecues, bouncy castles, food for all, and a request to speak to the PM, or a government representative. The only law they broke is park illegally on a otherwise very lightly used street. It's not like Ottawa is a busy commerce centre. That is not a reason to bring military grade weapons and armour with thousands of riot police.

Two years earlier, when the natives were blockading the main railroad lines, the government did nothing for months. The only reason it stopped is because COVID suddenly became story number 1.

And don't even start me on Caledonia where people actually died and the government is still doing nothing.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#235 Post by boing » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:27 am

I may be the only correspondent who has taken part in a real strike (airlines for the use of). There are a hundred stories but the most inspiring one was of the first day after the strike was announced. The company had been doing their best to split the pilot group by telling the senior people that the junior pilots would love to have their jobs, the junior pilots were being told that the airline would have to shrink and they would inevitably be laid off unless they worked. The company started to hire all sorts of all sorts of crummy hicks as replacements. In short they did everything they could to splinter the pilot group. (We later found they were using outside consultants to come up with these ideas and promulgate them).

On the day after the strike was announced we were all supposed to collect in a suite in one of the airport hotels which would be our local command centre. In an irregular way the pilots started to collect. In came old pilots, junior pilots, pilots who lived 5 miles away, pilots who lived 50 miles away. We simply looked as each person arrived and then the inevitable comments were made. The junior pilots said they were impressed by the number of senior pilots who struck risking their jobs and their whole past careers. The senior pilots said they were impressed by the number of junior who struck because they could have been given the good jobs if they had worked. There was almost 100% support.

Then one of the old Vietnam pilots, who actually became quite a hero in his later career by saving a crippled aircraft, said "Well that's all right then, now let's go and get the b----ards."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#236 Post by barkingmad » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:29 am

“And now for something completely different!”

Looks like yet again the ‘woke’ snowflakes can’t cope;

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2022/0 ... parations/

What part of whose history do these dumbos not acknowledge?

I’m still waiting for the Algerians to make reparations to the Irish Republic for raiding and carrying off entire villages of coastal communities in the good old Barbary Pirating days.

But instead of blubbing over the perceived micro-aggression I can’t help pondering the idea of North Africans cross bred with red-haired blue/green-eyed bogtrotters.

Would it have been a good pedigree result...?

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#237 Post by Dushan » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:47 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:29 am
“And now for something completely different!”

But instead of blubbing over the perceived micro-aggression I can’t help pondering the idea of North Africans cross bred with red-haired blue/green-eyed bogtrotters.

Would it have been a good pedigree result...?
Just to maintain the "something completely different!”...

Lots of red-haired and blue-eyed kids in Lebanon among the Arab population. Remnants of the crusades.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#238 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:45 am

I would put it here as it fits with the general discussion of the thread: the community pool has just stopped operating because a member of the staff who checks our vaccination certificates is unvaccinated and just become a covid case. Her choice not to get vaccinated impacts our capacity to use the pool. I am not saying that I paid for 25 days and I would do 24 or less less (loss in financial terms) but the choice of not being vaccinated infringes my activities. Obviously it is nice because I can spend time looking in the sunshine (after several days of clouds) but still there is a discussion is there a larger freedom that it can overshadow another?

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#239 Post by Dushan » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:14 pm

Maybe if they just stopped checking vaccination status they can resume operations. Added bonus is one less person on payroll.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#240 Post by barkingmad » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:12 pm

Good to know the campaign against free speech rolls on inexorably despite plagues, wars and tempests;

"Levi’s to brand manager: shut up about COVID

Jennifer Sey was until recently brand president at Levi’s and a very strong contender to become CEO.

But it was made clear to her that she could not become CEO because of her social media.

What dastardly things was she up to on her social media?

She was arguing that the school closure policy had no basis in science, and that the treatment of children over the past couple of years had been atrocious and inexcusable.

In other words, she criticized the kinds of things that only the most devoted cultist still defends today.

Not only was she eventually taken out of the running for CEO, but she was also told that it would be “untenable” for her to remain at Levi’s in any capacity.

In leaving the company she turned down a million-dollar severance that would have required her to keep quiet about what Levi’s had done to her.

Her husband, meanwhile, is part of a lawsuit against the federal government on the grounds that Washington has been pressuring tech companies to censor content in the name of fighting “disinformation” — an attempted end run around the First Amendment.

Together they make for a pretty darn good episode of the Tom Woods Show:

https://tomwoods.com/ep-2106-almost-ceo ... -position/

Truth is stranger than fiction... But will the lawyers be sharpening their quill pens in anticipation of action by Jennifer Sey?