War in Australia - Australian Politics

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Slasher

Re: War in Australia - Australian Politics

#721 Post by Slasher » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:25 am

What 'dell said before is really appropriate whenever the lying bastards try to make changes to the Constitution (was the ALP scumbags in my day) via a national referendum. But back then everyone knew the pricks wanted to change it for their own political ends, not for the good of the Electorate.

Last one IIRC was the buggers wanting Oz to become a republic.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#722 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 am

It should also be noted that the legal requirement is purely to attend a polling booth and have your name ticked off. You can walk straight back out after that has been completed without having to cast a vote.

In UK we mark the register that you have checked in and then mark the corresponding number list that correlates with your voting slip. It would be true therefore that we have a record of attendance but there would then be a mismatch between slips issued and voters attending. I don't think that there is a check of that. If the process was computerised then it would be easy. Whether UK has the ability to computerise the system today is questionable given the success of large government computer projects.

Just the MOD system was the price of an aircraft carrier. Scale it up to the life of a computer system with an aircraft carrier and five or more for the price.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#723 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:17 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 am
In UK we mark the register that you have checked in
Having spent last Saturday as an "Election Official" for the State election, handing out ballot papers, an hour guarding the boxes and later participating in the count I can state categorically that all we do is mark a copy of the electoral roll and hand the person two ballot papers - one for the legislative assembly and one for the legislative council - lower and upper houses. What the punter does with them is their affair.

When guarding the boxes, we do make an effort to make sure that they don't dispose of their ballot papers in the recycling bin along with all the political "how to vote" bumf. Which can be tricky as EO's aren't supposed to touch the ballot papers once issued. One old dear dropped one of her papers, and was unable to retrieve it. All I was allowed to do was to pick it up and get her to return the paper to an issuing officer marked as "spoilt" and for her to get a replacement. At close we do count all the papers and attempt to reconcile the count with the number issued. We were only a couple out from the few thousand issued.

Started at 7:00am setting up. By quarter to nine pm, I decided stuff this for a game of soldiers and signed out. I understand they were still counting at midnight. It was a pretty full-on day.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#724 Post by Fliegenmong » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:37 am

Fliegs or Sise could provide an update on what goes on nowadays.

Don't really know.....I relish my chance to vote at every opportunity..and to have a 'chat' with the local 'representatives'... calling them out on their BS

At a State & Federal level, we reside in a VERY safe LNP seat, (even our local gummint is aligned to the LNP, despite not be supposeed to be aligned to any political party, they benefit from a neighbouring electorates 'Fighting Fund').

The end result of course are 'representatives' who do SFA for the electorate, we get propoganda material of course claiming all manner of rubbish, but emails to the local members pointing out that some of the plusses they claim are their own doing are in fact (in some cases) opposition initatives at a Federal level. Anyway, no need to reply to me, doing nothing and knowing you'll get re-elected you don't have to...
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#725 Post by Fliegenmong » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:48 am

Interestingly down here there is a whole heap of Ministers leaving (my own very 'safe seat' friend included) 'Cos they figured that leaving as a serving minister their benefits ($$$$ and other goodies) are far far better than leaving in opposition...& they must figure they are going to lose. So we have a bunch of LNP Ministers resigning to feather their own nests at the tax payers expense, NOT for the betterment of the Country.

God help us with another ALP government...but why would they want the economic mess and impending doom (and time bombs too...don't forget time bombs!!) left to them from the LNP!!

Sisemen

#726 Post by Sisemen » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:22 am

.....who inherited a bunch of them from Rudd/Gillard/Rudd - NDIS being but one!

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#727 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:37 am

Is there a little 'Fishing' guy cartoon??...I caught one!!!..the one I thought I would too! :)

They're nothing special in economic management...though they do a good 'cigar on the terrace' .... when things go to sh!t, you just blame it on the previous person / party .... you see it all the weay down to work places....someone leaves and all the f%%k ups are blamed on the person not there anymore.

All these Coalition ministers retiring so theycan ensure their snouts are firmly wedged into the tax payer funded trough...clearly don't beleive in themselves.

Whats the bet that Ciobo Bishop et all have prime jobs lined up right after leaving politics??

Didn't Andrew Robb ('Rob Australia') by selling out the 100 yr lease on the port of Darwin to a Chinese firm that he is now in the employ of to tune of a 6 figure salary???

And ain't it grand how One Nation is now smeared (not saying they don't deserve it)...but what exquisite timing, one cannot help think this airs to coincide with an upcoming election....and ScoMo trying to make political mileage out of it....I think the truth is Australains are increasingly fed up with both major parties, 'Cos both major parties are...really...pretty well indistinguishable from each other.....and BOTH sides are sh!t scared of Australians voting for minors and independants!

I do....f&#k 'em ... feel equally let down by both sides...

Howards 'Work Choices' ensured I will never vote LNP (*)....general ineptitude ensures I willl not be voting ALP...so where do I go?

(*) ... Ditto QANTAS has forever lost my patronage, I simply cannot accept that Alan Joyce just woke up on one Saturday morning and decided to ground the Airline.....there is far too much in the background to pull that off!

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#728 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:38 am

Apologies for sppelling errors....the light bulb is blown in this room and I don't have any compatible ones to hand! :)

Slasher

#729 Post by Slasher » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:50 am

Fliegenmong wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:37 am
Howards 'Work Choices' ensured I will never vote LNP (*)
I remember when that happened Fliegs. At the time when Howard and the LP were in power, there were some mutterings among us Strayan expats that Oz might be slowly becoming habitable again despite the threat of an ALP govt coming into power anytime in the future.

This was reinforced by the ALP tried n trusted "time for a change" ***** cliche during the pre-election (first used successfully in the 1972 campaign after which the Bodgie and his cronies gained power).

However a lot of us realised at the time that the Workchoices Act was quite unacceptable - it took way too far Industrial rights from ordinary everyday workers - and the Australian electorate being as dumb as it always is an ALP win therefore was inevitable. So we wisely stayed away. Some though went back and regretted it (CX blokes and the mechanization crowd elsewhere in SE Asia mainly).

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#730 Post by Fliegenmong » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:42 am

Yeah....that's right Slash! .... Howard wanted everyone surviving on a bowl of rice a day...dreadful legislation, for that thank the good Lord above we were actually 'saved' by the ALP in that instance!!!

Slasher

#731 Post by Slasher » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:56 am

The Dismissal part of the Act I think was the most damaging Fliegs, and I guess there was no effective option in the pragmatic sense but to vote in the bloody ALP - though many intelligent locals likely abhorred doing so. :ymsick:

What got us was - surely the Libs realised the Act was a vote loser? We felt the Party would've won the GE had they dumped it.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#732 Post by BenThere » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:01 pm

I loved John Howard as a true and capable, forthright PM and a real ally of the US. His fatal mistakes were work choices and disarming Australians' self defense rights after the Tasmanian massacre. For the most part my Aussie relatives are Labor and voted for Rudd and Julia, much to the consternation of me and my recently deceased father in law. The electorate back then got what they wanted and deserved but I think they made a poor choice trading JH for KR.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#733 Post by Fliegenmong » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:07 am

Yeah Ben...enough people woke up to the fact they were about to lose so much under Howard....he was presenting legislation that was going to completely strip Aussies of a fair days ay for a fair days work...

Howard (Or the LNP & their greatest donation givers) stood to gain immense wealth at the expense of the average person on the street, who were effectively set to become a nation of slaves working harder for less. This is where average Joe realised that voting LNP, that he was going to be far far worse off!

So as is so often the case, elections are not won so much as lost! Honestly who was ever going to reapply for their current job on less money, less conditions, and working longer hours.....Greed & Hubris, Howard had that in spades.

I think also when Howard mentioned in public that if they were re-elcted and then 'Work Choices' would become nearly impossible to reverse, people knew it to be very dangerous to their well being, and certainly not demonstrative of a government looking after them.

I also understand there are a chain of pubs in Sydney owned by a very very wealthy family who were allowed to operate under "Work Choiuces" legislation until just recently, when a court ruled that they should from now on be paid at least the minimum wage instead of 'Work Choices' wages...the owner was enraged to learn that he was going to have to pay miunimum wage and not ''Work Choices' wages, right there is another big chunk of the populace who now realise that the LNP are toxic to their hopes and ambitions. (I also think the owner of the pubs just bought a challenger jet, but I guess you can afford that stuff when a 'friendly' "Gummint" allows for industrial relations that include 'Work Choices'

Sisemen

#734 Post by Sisemen » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:38 am

Increasingly looking like 18 May will not be the dead set cert that Billy Liar thinks it was going to be.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#735 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:55 am

In your dreams dear, in your dreams.

Slasher

#736 Post by Slasher » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:17 am

Sisemen wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:38 am
Increasingly looking like 18 May will not be the dead set cert that Billy Liar thinks it was going to be.
Sise CMIIW but I heard that woman from the One Nation party made severe inroads to the power conglomerates by a recent speech she done. Haven't seen it meself.

At least you don't have the likes of that hoon Don Chipp (RIH) running around anymore.

Sisemen

#737 Post by Sisemen » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:53 am

I understand that One Nation support virtually evaporated last week because of the screw ups by that dick Ashby and his flirtations with the NRA in the States.

Sisemen

#738 Post by Sisemen » Fri May 03, 2019 4:21 am

Screenshot 2019-05-03 12.10.55.png
Screenshot 2019-05-03 12.10.55.png (148.2 KiB) Viewed 413 times

Sisemen

#739 Post by Sisemen » Fri May 03, 2019 4:40 am

Written by a friend of mine......

John is 63 years old and owns a small business. He's a life-long Liberal and sees his dream of retiring next year has all but evaporated. With the stock market unpredictable and new taxes coming his way, John assumes now that he will work to his dying day.

John has a granddaughter. Ashley is a recent university graduate. She drives a flashy hybrid car, wears all the latest fashions, and goes out to nightclubs and restaurants. Ashley campaigned hard for Labor.
After the election she made sure her grandfather (and all other Liberal family members) received a big I told-you-so earful on how the world is going to be a much better place now that her party is taking over. However, having lost both roommates, Ashley recently ran short of cash and could not pay the rent (again) on her 3 bedroom townhouse...... Like she has done many times in the past, she e-mailed her grandfather asking for some financial help. ....... Here is his reply:

Sweetheart, I received your request for assistance. Ashley, you know I love you dearly, and I 'm sympathetic to your financial plight. Unfortunately, times have changed. With the election of a Labor Government, your grandmother and I have had to set forth a bold new economic plan of our own..."The Ashley Economic Empowerment Plan." Let me explain.

Your grandmother and I are life-long, wage-earning tax payers. We have lived a comfortable life, as you know, but we have never had the fancier things like European vacations, luxury cars, etc. We have worked hard and were looking forward to retiring soon. But the plan has changed.

Your Prime Minister is raising our personal and business taxes significantly. He says it is so he can give our hard earned money to other people. Do you know what this means, Ashley?
It means less for us, and we must cut back on many business and personal expenses.

You remember the wonderful receptionist who worked in my office for more than 23 years? The one who always gave you lollies when you came over to visit? I had to let her go last week. I can't afford to pay her salary and all of the government mandated taxes that go with having employees.

Your grandmother will now work 4 days a week to answer phones, take orders and handle the books. We will be closed on Fridays and will lose even more income to Bunning’s & K-Mart.
I'm also very sorry to report that your cousin Frank will no longer be working during the school holidays in the warehouse. I called him at school this morning. He already knows about it and he's upset because he will have to give up skydiving and his yearly trip to Antarctica to survey the penguins.

That's just the business side of things. Some personal economic effects of Labor’s new taxation policies include none other than you. You know very well that over the years your grandmother and I have given you thousands of dollars in cash, tuition assistance, food, housing, clothing, gifts, etc., etc. But by your vote, you have chosen to help others -- not at your expense -- but at our expense.

If you need money now sweetheart, I recommend you call 02 6277 7111. That is the direct phone number for Parliament House in Canberra. You yourself told me how foolish it is to vote Liberal. You said Labor is going to be the People's Party, and is going to help every Australian live a better life. Based on everything you've told me, along with all the promises we heard during the campaign, I'm sure the PM will be happy to transfer some stimulus money into your bank account.

Have Mr Shorten call me for the account number which I memorised years ago.

Perhaps you can now understand what I've been saying all my life: those who vote for a prime minister should consider the impact on the nation as a whole, and not be just concerned with what they can get for themselves. What Labor supporters don't seem to realise is all of the money they are redistributing to illegal aliens and non-taxpaying Australians (the so-called "less fortunate") comes from tax-paying families.
Remember how you told me, "Only the richest of the rich will be affected"? Well guess what, honey? Because we own a business, your grandmother and I are now considered to be the richest of the rich. On paper, it might look that way, but in the real world, we are far from it.

As you said while campaigning for Labor, some people will have to carry more of the burden so all of Australia can prosper... You understand what that means, right? It means that raising taxes on productive people results in them having less money; less money for everything, including employing people and for granddaughters.

I'm sorry, Ashley, but the well has run dry. The free lunches are over. I have no money to give you now. So, congratulations on your choice for "change." For future reference, I encourage you to try and add up the total value of the gifts and cash you have received from us, just since you went off to university, and compare it to what you expect to get from Mr Shorten over the next couple of years. I have not kept track of it, Ashley. It has all truly been the gift of our hearts.

Remember, we love you dearly.....but from now on you'll need to call the number mentioned above.

Your "Saviour" has the money we would have given to you. Just try and get it from him. Good luck, sweetheart................. Love, Grandpa XX

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#740 Post by Alisoncc » Fri May 03, 2019 6:36 am

What a lot of emotive drivel. Remember the mega-millions Turnbull was going to give as tax cuts to all his mates in the banking sector. These are the same banks that in the Royal Commission were found to be charging deceased clients for financial advice.

Alison