War in Australia - Australian Politics

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: War in Australia - Australian Politics

#661 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:55 pm

The US is the natural leader of the free world due to military power, its economy, and the effect of history dating back to WWII and the world's perception of it.

What total BS. Take care BenT, the Brits were leaders of the "free world" for centuries not just a few decades, and see how they have fallen. It doesn't take a great deal. I suspect China has it's eyes on being the next leader of a, not necesarily "free", world within the next couple of decades, with the US becoming an also ran. Four years of Trump and you will be well on your way to obscurity. Being a "leader of the free world" requires involvement in the free world, not hiding behind protective walls and trade barriers.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#662 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Four years of Trump and you will be well on your way to obscurity. Being a "leader of the free world" requires involvement in the free world, not hiding behind protective walls and trade barriers.

Well said ma'am. Sock it to em! :-bd

Caco

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#663 Post by John Hill » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:17 pm

Benny, guns and missiles do not make your country 'Leader of the Free World', you require respect to hold that position and respect is something you have been squandering for the last few decades and I fear Trump is right now swilling the last few dregs of it down the plug hole of history.

BTW, I mean 'respect' in the true meaning of the world and not the revised Hollywood meaning.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#664 Post by John Hill » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:00 pm

Ooops! That should read "..in the true meaning of the word.."!!

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#665 Post by BenThere » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:16 pm

So who is the leader of the 'Free world' then, the EU?

Actually, I don't want to make this argument. I'd just as soon the US fold up its expensive international tent and focus on our own many problems.

Sisemen

#666 Post by Sisemen » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:17 am

You can all go and feck orf. This thread is about AUSTRALIAN politics not American, New Zealand, Spanish, EU or any other variety. It is, or ought to be, limited to the special kind of imbecility that passes for national leadership in this country (although one has to grudgingly admit that the loons in our most south-easterly State are catching up with the mainland very quickly with their decision to opt for free everything and ditch a 10 year success story).

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#667 Post by John Hill » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:11 am

Awww siddown Sise, Australia is just the deputy sheriff with a tarnished tin badge.

Sisemen

#668 Post by Sisemen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:31 am

5 out of the 7 ruled ineligible. One by-election for Joyce’s seat in New England and count-backs for the Senators. I have little doubt that Barnaby will get back in and hopefully that dickhead Windsor will contest again so that the electorate have another chance to show him the door.

Canavan and Xenophon live to fight another day!

A measured statement by Turnbull to announce a hard look at Section 44 to see what needs tweaking to ensure it can’t happen again.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#669 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:33 am

Sise, MT doesn't get to change the constitution that easily, and nor should he. Worked with Barny's brother for a number of years. He had little to say about him that could be repeated in polite company. Interesting to note that it's the arrogant B's to the right of politics who got caught out. Obviously though they were above the law. :-bd

Alison

Sisemen

#670 Post by Sisemen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:05 am

MT isn’t changing it by himself :)) he’s going to have a Committee look into it and report back. Whatever, it obviously needs something doing it if only printing the warning in big red letters on the nomination forms.

And speaking of arrogant pricks......Cash is on very dodgy ground. It’s only a matter of time before she has to resign or be pushed. This Government seems to have an amazing ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#671 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:09 am

That would be a typical MT response , Sise. Form a committee to discuss the problem, then ignore any recommendations. But it will successfully put the issue on the back-burner for years. Problem solved.

Alison

Sisemen

#672 Post by Sisemen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:56 am

You’re learning Alison!

Sisemen

#673 Post by Sisemen » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:10 am

Anybody get the feeling that we’re getting a sense of déjà vu with the dying days of the Callaghan government of 1979 and the current situation in Oz?

On 10 January, James Callaghan arrived back from a summit in Guadeloupe in the middle of the lorry drivers' strike. Having been tipped off that the press were present, his press secretary Tom McCaffrey advised him to say nothing and return immediately to work, but his political adviser Tom McNally thought that the image of Callaghan returning and declaring his intent to take control of the situation would be reassuring. Callaghan therefore decided to give a press conference at Heathrow Airport. To McNally's dismay Callaghan was jocular and referred to having had a swim in the Caribbean during the summit. He was then asked (by a reporter from the Evening Standard) "What is your general approach, in view of the mounting chaos in the country at the moment?" and replied:

Well, that's a judgment that you are making. I promise you that if you look at it from outside, and perhaps you're taking rather a parochial view at the moment, I don't think that other people in the world would share the view that there is mounting chaos.

The next day's edition of The Sun featured the famous headline "Crisis? What crisis?" with a subheading "Rail, lorry, jobs chaos – and Jim blames Press", condemning Callaghan as being "out of touch" with British society.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#674 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:18 pm

I always thought it was customary, when in the dying days of a government, a PM gets to visit other leaders for a last hurrah before getting the chop. The word swansong seems relevant perhaps?

Alison

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#675 Post by A Lutra Continua » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:32 am

...Being a "leader of the free world" requires involvement in the free world, not hiding behind protective walls and trade barriers.

When they do get involved it's ballistic teddies all over the shop. When they step back and let the world get on with it there's pissing and moaning from the usual spring loaded to the anti position mob.

Folks need to pick an option and stand by their decision.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#676 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 am

I have an intense dislike for everything Trump stands for, but he has got one thing right - the need to drain the swamp. What with the debacle over same sex marriage and now the "citizenship" saga, are any of the arseholes who venture to Canberra actually doing anything about running the country. It just seems to go on and on. Distraction after distraction.

Alison

Sisemen

#677 Post by Sisemen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 am

Maybe DiNatale has the right idea - can Parliament and start over.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#678 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:09 am

If the average person was found to be taking payments whilst ineligible to receive them they would be required to refund all such. So how come these f'wits get to keep their ill-gotten gains? The President of the Senate was on a not-insignificant salary. All those kicked out should be required to repay all emoluments, plus interest.

Alison

Sisemen

#679 Post by Sisemen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:50 am

I think that there’s a bit of a difference between being the offspring of a male born in the UK that emigrated to Oz at a young age and the likes of the two Greens who were born and brought up in a place other than Australia. To my mind they committed deliberate fraud whereas the likes of Barnaby Joyce et al would not have been aware that they had acquired citizenship of another country by means of their parent(s) birth.

The only way is to start over; each candidate then has to ensure that their nationality is beyond question and, if necessary, renounce any other citizenship and have it confirmed before nomination is accepted. If that should later prove not to be the case then ‘hello judge’.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#680 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Sisemen wrote:whereas the likes of Barnaby Joyce et al would not have been aware that they had acquired citizenship of another country by means of their parent(s) birth.

Sorry to disagree Sise, but it has always been the accepted practise that newborns automatically acquire the nationality of their parents since time immemorial. Even more so for UK married couples who may be producing a litter whilst serving Queen and country in different guises in the far-flung reaches of the Empire. I am sure that those born in K'sar married quarters would have little stomach for being classed as Yemenies, those in Akrotiri as Cypriots or those in Changi MQ's as Malaysians.

Alison