War in Australia - Australian Politics

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: War in Australia - Australian Politics

#741 Post by llondel » Fri May 03, 2019 4:56 pm

Isn't that the purpose of government though? To relieve part of the population of its wealth in order to give it to some other part. If it's not the Labour movement taking it from the better off to give to the poor, it's someone like Trump taking it from the less well off to give to his rich buddies.

Sisemen

#742 Post by Sisemen » Sat May 18, 2019 2:26 pm

So it seems that the rest of Australia didn’t fancy Shifty Shorten taking the reins of power. I suppose that’s what you get when you’ve been personally responsible for sticking the knife into two Prime Minister’s backs.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#743 Post by prospector » Sat May 18, 2019 9:55 pm

Like to see the Turnbull families reaction to this result,

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#744 Post by Alisoncc » Sun May 19, 2019 1:14 am

I suppose the LNP will continue with their Ponzi scheme of importing more punters (immigrants) to give the appearance of growth in the GDP. Morrison read the temperature of the electorate perfectly. Bugger the future, what's in it for me NOW. Splashing buckets of money left right and centre. Morrison made all the promises, so when Dutton and his mates kick him out, all his promises become worthless. :(

Labor brought in Medicare, the NDIS and the NBN, The LNP killed all the fish in the Murray/Darling rivers, approved the the biggest coal mine - Adani, and fought like hell to stop the royal commission into bank rip-offs.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Sisemen

#745 Post by Sisemen » Sun May 19, 2019 3:20 am

Er...I don’t suppose that you actually looked at the value of “promises” made by each of the parties Alison. Labor out-promised the Coalition by a kin HUGE amount. But still, why let facts spoil a comfortable made up mind.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#746 Post by BenThere » Sun May 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Bugger the future, what's in it for me NOW. Splashing buckets of money left right and centre.
Hasn't that actually been the mantra of Labor all along?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#747 Post by ian16th » Sun May 19, 2019 9:59 pm

Don't Shoot the Messenger

But this look like bad times in Oz.
Cynicism improves with age

Sisemen

#748 Post by Sisemen » Mon May 20, 2019 1:18 am

A lot of it is fuelled by the new generations wanting everything NOW! Neither are they prepared to start small and work up to something better as finances improve with age. A quick glance at any new sub-division shows houses that would conservatively be described as “grandiose”, albeit on much, much smaller blocks than previously, brand new top-of-the-range car(s) in the driveway and probably a boat or jet ski in the garage. They also eat out rather more than my generation did at that age.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#749 Post by Alisoncc » Mon May 20, 2019 2:08 am

Ian, there has been a significant increase in mortgage defaults here since the start of the new year. Along with an equally significant increase in property owners with negative equity. To some extent I am pleased that a Liberal/National party have just been elected. They can catch the ***** fight that is now pending, much of which is of their making.

Yes Sise, they have been the main instigators of lower interest rates, driving the economy through consumer borrowings. There will come a time when taking out loans to cover living expenses will no longer be an option.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Slasher

#750 Post by Slasher » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:40 am

Ha!

admin
Chief Engineer

#751 Post by admin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:32 am

Still riding the same wagon Slasher. How many hours did you spend searching for and digging up that garbage? :(

Admin

prospector
Capt
Capt

#752 Post by prospector » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:40 pm

I would not have thought it would have taken long to find all those ideas put forth by that obviously female person. The numbers she quotes are common knowledge, and not as you describe them as "garbage", One can have their own thoughts on these matters but you cannot deny a very small minority of people are busy ramming their ideas down the throats the majority of "normal" folks.

Slasher

#753 Post by Slasher » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:06 am

prospector wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:40 pm
The "Ha!" component of my post Prospector, apart from 33 listed bloody genders, was the laughable cancelling of fireworks etc for Oz Day celebrations. All to stop a tiny minority being "offended" and boo-hooing. This crap didn't exist 30 years ago even under the Silver Bodgie regime.

It was quite refreshing to see a millennial with half a brain more than the average braindead ones. While I don't know her, Sydney Watson is an online acquaintance of Apsara my wife. They "met" about a year ago when Miss Watson was enquiring about Thailand investment opportunities with Ap's brokerage firm. They email each other personally from time to time.

Hard to say which leftist rubbish filters through to Australia first - from England or the US. My money's on the nonsense of the Brit loony left. I don't think the Omar and AOC idiocy has taken root in Oz...yet.

Sat-U Lag-I
PPL
PPL

#754 Post by Sat-U Lag-I » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:59 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:32 am
Still riding the same wagon
It brings to mind people like Aaron Schock.

I suppose self-loathing could be the cause for self-medicating with rotgut.

Slasher

#755 Post by Slasher » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:00 am

Selemat datang one morning.

Looks like enough already has reincarnated himself. Betul? :p

Slasher

#756 Post by Slasher » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:10 am

Ma'af....that should've read one more.

Got me Lag-I and Pag-I mixed up.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#757 Post by BenThere » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:45 am

Ian, there has been a significant increase in mortgage defaults here since the start of the new year. Along with an equally significant increase in property owners with negative equity. To some extent I am pleased that a Liberal/National party have just been elected. They can catch the *sh*t* fight that is now pending, much of which is of their making.
Alison, I have seen that scenario played out time and time again over the years, regardless of the political party in power. It goes like this: The housing market gets warm and prices go up. People notice the prices going up and want to get a piece of it, making prices go up faster. They take on as much debt as they can qualify for, with a vision of continuing profit. At some point prices get too high and the hot market cools. Sales decline. Prices stagnate, then start to decrease. When the excess is corrected and the prices decline to construction cost, and the land the home sits on mostly drops from the equation, the cycle resets, the bottom having been reached, and those who buy at that point, when nobody wants to buy, make profitable deals and build their wealth through the dark times and back up to the next peak.

My observation of Australia's housing during my annual visits for a month around every Christmas for around 20 years, is that Australia has had a robust market, so much so that housing in Melbourne and Sydney had risen to unaffordable levels and had become seriously overvalued recently. When that point is reached, something usually has to give, generally resulting in declining prices. Those who leveraged debt to the max securing a home find themselves in negative equity and fears of continuing losses, and many of them bail out at the worst time, when guys like me are there to snap up the bargains.

A few years ago, when the Aussie dollar peaked at just over $1.00 US, (now it's $.70 US), I thought the cost of Australian real estate was prohibitive, about double what I would pay in comparable markets in the US for comparable property, especially in the cities. So I cancelled my vision of an Australian retirement and focused on Mexico, where I found a property selling for about one third to a half what I would pay for a comparable US property (ie oceanfront, luxury, nice area, etc.), so I bought it. Cash. Three years later, the asking prices for comparables has roughly doubled in USD. Additionally, the cost of living in Mexico is much lower than in the US and especially Australia, particularly regarding property and 'sin' taxes, utilities, health care, food and restaurants, and labor wages which I pay to keep up my Mexico home when I'm back in Michigan about half the year. I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. Frosting on the cake is the delightful, ancient, warm and welcoming Mayan culture that surrounds me. And the weather is always good unless a hurricane comes around, which my place is built to withstand.

Sat-U Lag-I
PPL
PPL

#758 Post by Sat-U Lag-I » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Slasher wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:10 am
Got me Lag-I and Pag-I mixed up.
Was that for me or are you just mumbling to yourself?

Slasher

#759 Post by Slasher » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:45 am

Selemat pagi Cukup Sudah...ma'af...encik Lag-I. Ya betul. Untuk anda. So um...apa dia sekerang?

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#760 Post by Fliegenmong » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:02 pm

"Alison, I have seen that scenario played out time and time again over the years, regardless of the political party in power. It goes like this: The housing market gets warm and prices go up. People notice the prices going up and want to get a piece of it, making prices go up faster. They take on as much debt as they can qualify for, with a vision of continuing profit. At some point prices get too high and the hot market cools. Sales decline. Prices stagnate, then start to decrease. When the excess is corrected and the prices decline to construction cost, and the land the home sits on mostly drops from the equation, the cycle resets, the bottom having been reached, and those who buy at that point, when nobody wants to buy, make profitable deals and build their wealth through the dark times and back up to the next peak."

But you hardly need be an economist to know the phrase "Buy in Gloom and sell in Boom"....

Really no one is mentioning the 'R' word in Australia.....Recession....My wife is in Finance / lending and knows it better than I. She mentioned it..she sees it.

Ok fair enough...we'll pick up some nicely priced investment properties...

Interesting to put this to the TOP recently, and LNP apologists started scrambling over themselves to say "it is out of their control, overseas influences etc.".....deeply offended were they at the suggestion that things may also be out of the LABOR party's control!!...you see it doesn't fit the narrative of the right....but you can't have the cake and eat it too!

We see minor swings in OZ, (couple %), very little between the LNP & LABOR....BUT it is very important to identify with the LNP if you've a bit of brass, as Mal would say...it is a way of saying I'm wealthier than you without saying it....It's 'Virtue Signalling' for the wealthier.....as if the house and cars etc.etc. aren't enough..a way of saying 'I Vote LNP', ergo I am better than you, an extension of the 'Born to Rule' mentality if you will. And don't they just drop their own when they fall from grace, not so much true friends, but rather friends when you are of a certain social standing...shallow stuff....

..I live in one of the most safe LNP Electorates in the country, a nursing home was recently evacuated here because the contracted staff catching wind they would not be paid...(They feed the residents cold chips ['fries'] and chicken nuggets in order to maximise profits...but not enough to survive as a profitable business apparently. Local LNP member refuses to visit nursing home instead preferring a photo op. with the deputy PM over a section of road infrastructure thats already been paid for (i.e. not announcing new funding), and smiling for the cameras that the completion date is still 12 months off!

Oh..I know...the minimum wage earned by those nurses is to blame right? Lower the minimum wage is the way to go huh?..so who do you get?...lowest common denominator workers caring for those that paid a hell of of a lot of tax over their entire working lives.

I rather like the Danish system, where those that paid high taxes throughout theirworking lives, like we do in Australia, see an actual benefit of paying those taxes, being looked after, seeing a benefit of aying those taxes, not 100's & 100's millions sent off in foreign aid to Muslim Country's that despise us..
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde