A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

Re: Coronabollocks..

#501 Post by Jetex Jim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:52 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:18 pm
"I think you should take your comments re.Brexit to the appropriate thread." I will be delighted so to do. As I hope you will too, having raised in this thread the topic of Nigel, his BBC appearance ambitions and his "having made his name and fortune pontificating about Brexit". Mote in the eye 'n all that, eh?
Well, the way I remember it my first comment was that Farage was looking for a new hobby horse. You suggested that my dislike for him was related to Brexit and you have continued to bang on about the subject ever since.

Please, I'm here to talk about Covid-19.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#502 Post by Boac » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:22 pm

Ding ding ding - "Round 3"

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#503 Post by om15 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:39 pm

I am listening to Nigel Farage on LBC at the moment, his topics include the possibility of rat infestations due to rubbish not being collected, the huge profits being made by the supermarkets and the overly zealous police enforcing our house arrest situation.
So he is not a one trick pony with Brexit, but rather a good investigative radio journalist.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#504 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:55 pm

Has he tried mail order yet?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#505 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:14 pm

I am really OK with the local rules about submitting a drive plan (very general before going out). I am annoyed that illegal immigrants are still entitled to move around in groups. A yes and old people refusing to use ATM cards and insist on visiting the branch and the till.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#506 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:36 pm

We’re all under partial house arrest but the sea and air ports are still wide open with scant evidence as to any form of health screening nor measures to track the recently arrived. At the risk of raising some blood pressures on this forum I’ll maliciously and frivolously post this one to ensure some reaction;

P S. You don’t havta watch it, no one is forcing you to suffer!

Seenenough

#507 Post by Seenenough » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 pm

Reporting over here tonight inticates that UK has only 8000 ventilators available in the entire country ,total.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#508 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:21 am

barkingmad wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:36 pm
At the risk of raising some blood pressures on this forum I’ll maliciously and frivolously post this one to ensure some reaction;

P S. You don’t havta watch it, no one is forcing you to suffer!
I'll bite and say that I didn't feel inclined to watch the video. My opinion of Farage is that he is the archetypal grifter and will say and do anything to turn a buck and court right wing political favour. The fact that he was never able to win enough votes to become an MP is significant and his machinations as a putative party leader were bemusing to many, not least his erstwhile supporters.

All in all an oleaginous chancer and all round oily tick! While his many myopic, not to say stupid, in many cases, supporters, lap up his "regular geezer" and "man of the people" act, this video gives an inkling as to what the man is really all about...

Now back to less distasteful subjects like Covid-19. =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#509 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:10 am

For those that think this virus only attacks the old and the feeble!

The captain of a US aircraft carrier, with 5,000 people onboard, including an unconfirmed number who have tested positive for Covid-19, has called for help to save the lives of his sailors.

The US aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt was in the Pacific when the navy reported its first coronavirus case a week ago. It has since pulled into port in Guam, a US island territory in the western Pacific.

A four-page letter, written by the ship’s captain, describes a bleak situation onboard the nuclear-powered carrier as more sailors test positive for the virus.

Captain Brett Crozier, the ship’s commanding officer, wrote that the carrier lacked enough quarantine and isolation facilities and warned the current strategy would slow but fail to eradicate the highly contagious respiratory virus.

In the letter dated Monday, he called for “decisive action” and removing over 4,000 sailors from the ship and isolating them. Along with the ship’s crew, naval aviators and others serve aboard the Roosevelt.

“We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die. If we do not act now, we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset - our sailors,” Crozier wrote.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -roosevelt

Captain Crozier has probably ruined his naval career in doing the best here for his ailing crew! His superiors show either gross incompetence or studied ignorance and callousness..

US defense secretary Mark Esper said on Tuesday it was not time to evacuate the carrier, adding he had not read the letter in detail.

Admiral John Aquilino, head of the US Navy’s Pacific Fleet, told reporters that the plan was to take some sailors off the ship, test and quarantine them, clean the ship and then rotate them with those on the carrier.

He said that there would be some sailors who would be in quarantine and isolation on the vessel. Asked if he was following what the ship’s captain wanted to do, but was not able to do it at the pace the commanding officer wanted, Aquilino said: “That is absolutely the case.”
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#510 Post by om15 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:48 am

All in all an oleaginous chancer and all round oily tick!
But he did overcome all odds and achieve Brexit, and for this he will be feted throughout the land. If it hadn't been for Nigel Farage we would still be in the EU and also possibly have a labour government, imagine how dreadful that would be, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#511 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:58 am

Seenenough wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 pm
Reporting over here tonight inticates that UK has only 8000 ventilators available in the entire country ,total.
A tabloid states 5,900 in the NHS. Our deputy PM said now more than 8,000.

Kniwing how supply systems work I go towards the lower figure as actually available.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#512 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 am

TGG, nothing contrary there. The supposition was the young, ie teens and below were unlikely to be affected significantly. There was no suggestion that young adults say up to 40 would not be affected to a greater extent.

I don't know the age demographic on a US CVS, it certainly would not extend into the 60s and the majority are probably in the under 30s. There will almost certainly be numbers of senior rates in the 40s and early 50s.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#513 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:41 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 am
TGG, nothing contrary there. The supposition was the young, ie teens and below were unlikely to be affected significantly. There was no suggestion that young adults say up to 40 would not be affected to a greater extent.

I don't know the age demographic on a US CVS, it certainly would not extend into the 60s and the majority are probably in the under 30s. There will almost certainly be numbers of senior rates in the 40s and early 50s.
I think what a lot of folks don't get is that it is the viral load that can overcome even people with a good, uncompromised immune system. Constant repeated exposure in a short period can and will overcome some peoples' defenses. A ship is the perfect viral incubator and a large ship, 5000 people in the case of the aircraft carrier noted earlier, is akin to a small, densely packed town. I guess it isn't surprising that number of people are ill and statistically it is likely that a smaller number of the crew will be very ill and people are likely to die.

The fact that the Captain has had to write a letter to flag this issue up and that the letter has been leaked to the press is also significant here.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#514 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:48 am

TGG, very true, the original UK advice stated the risk (what level) was from proximity over 15 minutes. Clearly that was load-related advice. It was quietly dropped and they introduced separation instead.

Now I believe in the open, and I mean properly open such as a field of park and a breeze that the risk approaches zero. In an enclosed space such as a shop, especially for the workers the risk increases dramatically.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#515 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:43 am

Probably not that much difference between a carrier and a cruise liner in population densities. Anyone for a cruise this Summer? ;;)
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#516 Post by om15 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:52 am

With their lack of success in preventing crime and their seemingly inability to put the welfare of our citizens before the ideology of political correctness and "diversity" the police have lost the respect of most people, now they are making up the law as they go along in order to bully ordinary citizens.
Not many articles in the Guardian find favour amonst normal right thinking people, but this one does.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... l-policing

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#517 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:01 am

I was going to post this on the joke thread but it is so factual that I place it here... :))

Here we are.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#518 Post by Jetex Jim » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:06 am

om15 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:52 am
With their lack of success in preventing crime and their seemingly inability to put the welfare of our citizens before the ideology of political correctness and "diversity" the police have lost the respect of most people, now they are making up the law as they go along in order to bully ordinary citizens.
Not many articles in the Guardian find favour amonst normal right thinking people, but this one does.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... l-policing
In fact you are just catching up with the position the Guardian has held for years on police heavy handedness.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#519 Post by BenThere » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:11 am

We were dreaming about a long cruise to Spain, France, Italy and Greece next Summer. But then we thought again about it since US travel has been increasingly restricted.. Now we're looking at a beautiful log home on the Au Sable river in Northern Michigan, a famous fishing river noted for trout. We found a house on the river, with fishing for trophy trout from the deck, zero Covid-19 infections, and a deep forest surrounding us. We thought about it and decided that why should we spend $8,000 in the Med when we could have this for a month for $2,000 USD? And we'd also be supporting the beleaguered Michigan economy while being in a splendorous virus isolation site. I can also take my .22 semi rifle and bag a raccoon, squirrel, possum, maybe even something bigger out there in the woods; I think I'll take my 12 gage, too.

I'm currently locked off from traveling to our home in Akumal-Tulum in Mexico by government dictate. Otherwise that's where I'd be going to sit this crisis out.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#520 Post by AtomKraft » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Jetex.
I'm calling you out as a galloping lefty!