A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronabollocks..

#561 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:08 am

BM, cane toads perhaps?

Alison didn't mention pestilence.

I just had a thought, remember the Spanish introduced smallpox to the South Americans, they had no herd immunity then.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#562 Post by barkingmad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:26 am

P N, having endured the cane at my Catholic boarding school I regard it as extremely cruel to cane toads.

Also the Spanish introduced Catholicism and STIs to Sarf America so maybe they’re equally to blame for colonial suffering?

I still pondering the oceanic range of locusts, with following winds and good track allocation, compared with toad marine locomotion.

Further pondering, does Ben’s “survivalists’ wet dream” count as one of his 21/month in the Prostate Cancer prevention program?

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#563 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:40 am

Well Capetonian if by troll you mean someone who does not fall into the political box you seem to favour I can only say, "guilty as charged." And proud of it.

BTW, I was just checking out your post at the start of this thread. Do you think it's aged well?
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#564 Post by barkingmad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:43 am

I believe the correct legally acceptable plea is “guilty AS charged”?!

Bloody overpaid lawyers.....

Neat bit of editing Jetex Jim, hopefully before anyone noticed?!?!

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#565 Post by John Hill » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 am

Capetonian wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:50 am
JH : Perhaps with good planning and judgement Ben has earned a certain right to be 'smug'.
Ben accused me (and all other Kiwis ) as being smug and it is only right that I return the compliment.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#566 Post by Boac » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:25 am

TGG wrote:Not only is he a decent man but he flew Lightnings.
- thank you for your assessment (even if a few Hail Mary's short of Saint Ben There) - correct as always - but may I point out, for the avoidance of doubt, I have also flown the Chipmunk AND a Cessna 152?

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#567 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:30 am

I'm smiling at getting $250/night for a $185/night property.

As is your right, It's a free market etc. And you're OK with it from an ethical point of view? You are all good and well profiteering from someone's misfortune?

Reminds me of that rather large Sandpit based carrier with many many 380s & 777s in their fleet....they do a good job of it too!
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#568 Post by barkingmad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:31 am

I flew a Shackleton more than a few times! Can I join in the willy-waving contest please?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#569 Post by Boac » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:37 am

Only if you have one as big as Ben's (mine, of course, is much bigger). I'll have to 'raise' you Tiger Moth if you do join.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#570 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:43 pm

So it's not just cruise ships that are petri dishes; unsurprisingly it seems that aeroplanes are too; https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... o-covid-19

Begs the question of how many infections started out due to people flying :-?
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#571 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:49 pm

It would be interesting to know whether the air-circulation system transmitted the virus aerosol - or whether there was effective filtration and contamination was solely by close contact.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#572 Post by Boac » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:54 pm

"how many infections started out due to people flying" I don't think any 'started out' that way but were easily spread by it. I don't think it is disputed that the rapid spread of infection these days is largely due to the ease of long-distance travel. In t'old days you would probably die before reaching your destination on a ship. Now after a few hours you step gaily off and sneeze on people.

Regarding cabin air - the 'incoming' is as fresh and clean as you can get, and the percentage that is re-circulated is passed through very efficient HEPA filters.

It will be directly from those uncivilised nearby passengers you catch it.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#573 Post by Wodrick » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:26 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:54 pm

Regarding cabin air - the 'incoming' is as fresh and clean as you can get, and the percentage that is re-circulated is passed through very efficient HEPA filters.

It will be directly from those uncivilised nearby passengers you catch it.
You know it, I know it, have you ever tried to convince a non aviation person of it, indeed some aviation persons too.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#574 Post by BenThere » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:28 pm

I'm smiling at getting $250/night for a $185/night property.

As is your right, It's a free market etc. And you're OK with it from an ethical point of view? You are all good and well profiteering from someone's misfortune?
It's not my ethics at all. In fact I was solicited by an existing occupant, an English couple from Lymington, Hampshire who occupied the property for the last two weeks of March. When they had difficulty arranging transportation home, and they really liked my place, he offered to extend his stay at $250US/day. As my wife and I can't go to Mexico as we intended for now it was a no-brainer and I accepted. I think he had looked at the real estate scene around Tulum and made his offer. Resort hotels abound in the area but they are mostly shut down now. Yucatan's tourist economy, its life blood, is in melt-down. Delta, on which we travel free, has cancelled all three daily flights from Detroit. Now there is one flight per day to/from Atlanta, and the everyday shmuck like me can't take it because we are casual, not essential, travellers.

It's true. Boac, the air on Delta's flights is recirculated completely every 10 minutes through ICU grade filters. All surfaces on all aircraft are fogged and hand sanitized before every flight. That protects both passengers and crew. The risk the airlines can't mitigate is the breath of the person sitting next to you or in proximity.

My wife's business partner just became a positive. Worse, her 90 year old father, breathing constant oxygen for COPD, is positive, too, perhaps from her. Since my wife spends time with her partners and has had a lingering cough for a week, uncharacteristic, she may be carrying as well, though she hasn't been tested. And if my wife is a carrier I've probably got it, too, though I'm in a risk category and have zero symptoms. Fingers crossed as aren't we all?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#575 Post by Woody » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:53 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:49 pm
It would be interesting to know whether the air-circulation system transmitted the virus aerosol - or whether there was effective filtration and contamination was solely by close contact.
Don’t be ridiculous,everyone knows that it’s been caused by Chemtrails :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#576 Post by Boac » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:59 pm

Come on, Woody - any fool knows you don't get chemtrails INSIDE an aircraft, otherwise the pilots would be affected.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#577 Post by OFSO » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:58 pm

Loss of taste and smell prime symptoms.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#578 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:59 pm
Come on, Woody - any fool knows you don't get chemtrails INSIDE an aircraft, otherwise the pilots would be affected.
Surely you have totally separate systems like the ones on MH370 so the the pilot was unaffected.

:)

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#579 Post by barkingmad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Oh F F S ! ! Can we keep the constantly erupting UK v USA war inside the “Hamster Wheel” boundary and get back to Covidballs?!

And YES, I am guilty of the same distraction and I’m freely admitting it, but the Boston Tea party and it’s consequences really belong in the Hamsterwheel thread. So let’s all concentrate and address the subject, otherwise it gets as bad as the BBC’s Question Time and Any Questions shows under the slack control of the current presenters. Rant over!

So far Alison’s query in post # 546 seems to have been forgotten despite it’s relevance to the thread.

Please concentrate, before one of us dies! (Basil’s entreaty to Manuel in Fawlty Towers)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#580 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:22 am

BM, agree with your rant but can't see the target here. Think I know though.

As for 546 I suggested pestilence and cane toads. Remember Oz was a natural wilderness with a small indigenous population, then we came along and F'd things up. I remember one time Oz was in the top 3 per capita for pollution too.