Coronabollocks..

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
prospector
Capt
Capt

Re: Coronabollocks..

#641 Post by prospector » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:28 pm

:) :) It is all in perception, I can state quite honestly that I have flown 1,2,3,and 4 engine aircraft, but then if I break that down, multiple singles, multiple twins, BN111 Britten Norman Trislander
and the 4 engine, the DH114 Heron
I can also claim to have flown multiple turbine aircraft, sounds good? start with C208 Caravan, N22 Nomad, and HS748. But the HS748 was special, because it was over the longest overwater
legs left for a propellor driven aircraft.

If I just stated I have flown 4 engine aircraft, how many would guess a DH114 Heron

Most would now guess I have been retired for quite a number of years now.

Seenenough

#642 Post by Seenenough » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:43 pm

Pros-I have always held that everyone,even bad people, has a story about their lives to tell us.

The most respectful thing we can all do is to listen.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#643 Post by k3k3 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:48 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:51 pm
Dr Bo-How did you manage to navigate your Lightning if you could so easily make such a simple calculation error.

If you had made such a simple errors while flying at Mach 2.0 you might have found yourself over the East Germany ,back in the day,when you actually intended to be over France.
You obviously don't know the endurance of the Lightning at Mach 2.0.

Seenenough

#644 Post by Seenenough » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:56 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:48 pm
Seenenough wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:51 pm
Dr Bo-How did you manage to navigate your Lightning if you could so easily make such a simple calculation error.

If you had made such a simple errors while flying at Mach 2.0 you might have found yourself over the East Germany ,back in the day,when you actually intended to be over France.
You obviously don't know the endurance of the Lightning at Mach 2.0.
I dont'know,I never flew one.I think I was refering more to a miscalculated nav error.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#645 Post by llondel » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:36 am

photo_2020-04-04_17-34-47.jpg
If you see a floating bin then clearly the lockdown is getting to you. The bin is firmly on the ground and there's a wet patch in front of it.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#646 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:30 am

BN111 Britten Norman Trislander
Actually have a whole 3 hrs ICUS in one of those! Was supposed to get endorsed on the thing (P2-DNN) and fly it on 'The Gulf Run' for Douglas Airways in PNG. However, Dz went bagarap beforehand.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#647 Post by John Hill » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:00 am

What is this, some sort of inquisition?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#648 Post by prospector » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:24 am

llondell,

Must be getting to me, certainly looks like that bin is floating at first glance, especially when scrolling down page.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#649 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:07 am

John Hill wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:00 am
What is this, some sort of inquisition?

Not the Spanish inquisition nor the Spanish flu, I hope, which was not Spanish anyway but originated in an army camp in the USA. As for doctors, we need them like never before in this time of Corona, although I see no evidence that our esteemed friend and fellow poster Boac ever claimed to be a physician although he did point out that two former fast jet pilot colleagues had followed the Hippocratic path and the code of the Lancet. No surprise there, as fast jet pilots tend to be pretty sharp and most certainly can do hard sums on the fly and dance lightly with aplomb when canvassing difficult or complex subjects as Boac, a veritable Renaissance man, often proves.

I must point out to seenenough that it is bad form to question the title Dr. anyway, as one can equally hold a doctorate in anything from lepidopterology to divinity as be a "take two asparins" and call me in the morning" kind of doctor. The obverse can also apply, and my AME, a professor of medicine, is also an accomplished pilot.

I myself have self awarded the title of Dr. from the Dr. Johnny Fever School Of Music and Love so I ask you fellow babies to go easy and be righteous and focus on the Corona and less on the bollocks!

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#650 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:19 am

TGG, correct, one might add that many GPs in UK are MB and thus do not have a doctorate. In contrast my chiropractor and my dentist both have relevant doctorates.

And one of our Aviation Medical doctors was trained as a pilot, in Lightnings I think to gain first hand experience of high altitude flight. (BOAC would have enjoyed my auto predict which said skirts not altitude - it must have a dirty mind).

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#651 Post by barkingmad » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:15 am

I suspect I have misread some figures for “normal non-Covid-19” deaths in post # 621.

Here are some other sources and numbers for personal crunching;

https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=%2fpeop ... 522019.xls

Note the pre-pandemic weekly figures and the bulge in the older age groups?

Now here’s the NHS’s own figures for specifically Covid-19 deaths, some of which I understand are PROBABLE and not necessarily CONFIRMED Covid-19 casualties;

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2020/04/tota ... -of-death/

There are many more quoted figures obtainable from other sources with a reasonable search-I am just trying to get a hold of EXTRA pandemic clinical death rates versus the non-pandemic rates for the country. If anyone can supply a clearer picture of that comparison I will gladly peruse and believe them should they be from an authoritative source.

Then my conviction that this whole Covid-19 thing is a panic and not a pandemic of plague proportions can be assuredly blown out of the water or sky... :-w

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#652 Post by Jetex Jim » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:33 am

barkingmad wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:15 am
I suspect I have misread some figures for “normal non-Covid-19” deaths in post # 621.

Here are some other sources and numbers for personal crunching;

https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=%2fpeop ... 522019.xls

Note the pre-pandemic weekly figures and the bulge in the older age groups?

Now here’s the NHS’s own figures for specifically Covid-19 deaths, some of which I understand are PROBABLE and not necessarily CONFIRMED Covid-19 casualties;

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2020/04/tota ... -of-death/

There are many more quoted figures obtainable from other sources with a reasonable search-I am just trying to get a hold of EXTRA pandemic clinical death rates versus the non-pandemic rates for the country. If anyone can supply a clearer picture of that comparison I will gladly peruse and believe them should they be from an authoritative source.

Then my conviction that this whole Covid-19 thing is a panic and not a pandemic of plague proportions can be assuredly blown out of the water or sky... :-w
In this article the case is made that deaths in the UK are currently underreported.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... l-is-wrong
Prof Sheila Bird, formerly of the Medical Research Council’s biostatistics unit at Cambridge University, explains: “We’re on a rising epidemic trend, and so the death counts are currently increasing, and we’re trying to track how steeply they are increasing. If today I’m getting to know about a series of deaths that occurred in the past 10 days, then what I’m getting is not a reflection of the steepness of the curve at this moment.”

On 30 March, NHS England reported 159 deaths in the 24 hours to 5pm on Sunday 29 March. However, the actual number of people who died in that 24-hour period was revised up to 401 in Thursday’s report and again to 463 on Friday as more deaths which occurred on that date were reported. And this figure could be revised up again as more deaths come to light.

“When you’re on a rising trajectory, the reporting delay is likely to mean that you underestimate the steepness [of the curve] and so we may think that we’re doing better than we are. And when we come to the downturn in the epidemic, the slowing, and there’s a decrease in deaths, we’ll be too slow to recognise the change. Hence, we risk getting it wrong in both senses,” Bird adds.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

****!

#653 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:49 am

As the death toll from coronavirus continues to climb, hospitals across the UK are working flat out to create more intensive care beds for those who are critically ill. Speaking to the BBC, one intensive care doctor describes the crippling reality of a lack of support and equipment faced by some health-care workers in England.

Several healthcare workers in England have told the BBC of a lack of equipment in their hospitals. Warned against speaking to the media, they were unwilling to talk publicly. However, one intensive care doctor from the Midlands wanted to go on record. The BBC agreed to change her name in order to protect her identity.

Dr Roberts describes a hospital on the brink. Intensive care is already full of coronavirus (Covid-19) patients. All operations deemed non-urgent, even the cancer clinics, have been cancelled. There is a lack of staff, a lack of critical care beds, a shortage of basic antibiotics and ventilators.

All this, combined with the looming uncertainty of what will be the expected peak, estimated to hit the UK around 14-15 April, means hospital staff are already feeling the strain.

However, nothing Dr Roberts describes is quite as alarming as the fact that these medical professionals, who continue to care for critically ill patients for 13 hours every day, are having to resort to fashioning personal protective equipment (PPE) out of clinical waste bags, plastic aprons and borrowed skiing goggles.

While the public attempts to keep to a social distance of two metres, many NHS staff are being asked to examine patients suspected of coronavirus at a distance of 20cm - without the proper protection.

With potentially fatal implications, Dr Roberts says several departments within her hospital are now so fearful of what's coming next, they have begun to hoard PPE for themselves.

"It's about being pragmatic. The nurses on ITU (Intensive Treatment Unit) need it now. They are doing procedures which risk aerosol spread of the virus. But they've been told to wear normal theatre hats, which have holes in them and don't provide any protection.

"It's wrong. And that's why we're having to put bin bags and aprons on our heads."

The government has acknowledged distribution problems, but says a national supply team, supported by the armed forces, is now "working around the clock" to deliver equipment.

NHS England also said more than one million respiratory face masks were delivered on 1 April, but with no mention of much-needed head protection and long-sleeved gowns.

Dr Roberts says her hospital has not received anything from the government, and what they do have is causing concern.
"The respiratory protection face masks we're using at the moment, they've all been relabelled with new best-before end dates. Yesterday I found one with three stickers on. The first said, expiry 2009. The second sticker, expiry 2013. And the third sticker on the very top said 2021."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#654 Post by barkingmad » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:57 am

I believe we’re back in this particular weird unreality;

There are deaths, there are respiratory deaths, there are respiratory deaths due to long-term pollution, there are smoking-related deaths which have a respiratory element, there are still industrial occupational damage induced deaths and somewhere in there are death certificates saying “probable Covid-19” attributed and there’ll be a lot more suicides in the near and medium term future.
It’s a very messy confused and inaccurate picture and there are those with the means, motivation and opportunity to take advantage of the confusion and if I survive I will be interested in watching the reverse-ferrets being trotted out afterwards to excuse wrecking many more lives than was necessary.
Still the UK’s borders are as porous as ever and yet we’re dancing around in shops, supermarkets and pavements ensuring minimal risk of transmission by trying to maintain the requisite spacing. It’s all getting too much like the script of a future but mythical Monty Python film.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#655 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:08 am

barkingmad wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:57 am
we’re dancing around in shops, supermarkets and pavements ensuring minimal risk of transmission by trying to maintain the requisite spacing. It’s all getting too much like the script of a future but mythical Monty Python film.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#656 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:18 am

The only fact we really know about this pandemic and the exponents, proponents and opponents of its mitigation strategies...

Covid-exponential.JPG
Covid-exponential.JPG (29.02 KiB) Viewed 259 times
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#657 Post by Jetex Jim » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:40 am

barkingmad wrote:
Still the UK’s borders are as porous as ever and yet we’re dancing around in shops, supermarkets and pavements ensuring minimal risk of transmission by trying to maintain the requisite spacing. It’s all getting too much like the script of a future but mythical Monty Python film.
Still bothered about borders. Then this should please you:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/worl ... Position=1
Frightened by Coronavirus, Many of U.K.’s Poles Are Heading Home
They say the government’s slow response and a creaking health service contrast poorly with Poland’s health system and aggressive actions. LONDON — As the coronavirus epidemic gathered pace, Jaroslaw Bacdorf agonized over whether to stay in London, where he has lived and worked for eight years, or head back to Poland to join his wife, children and mother.
After a morning phone call on Wednesday, he packed his bags.
“I spoke to my mum and my kids,” said Mr. Bacdorf standing in an eerily deserted terminal building at London City Airport, his baggage already checked, just a few hours after that conversation. “My mum said, ‘Come home, you don’t know what will happen in a week, two weeks, or three weeks,’” he said.
...To many Poles the British reaction to the threat has been too slow — complacent even — compared with things back home. “The Polish government seems to be much more strict in its response,” said Mr. Bacdorf, 44, a tall, bearded and good-humored information technology expert. “Here in Britain, I would call it a joke.”
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#658 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:58 am

Jetex Jim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:40 am
barkingmad wrote:
Still bothered about borders. Then this should please you:

This virus is open season for those who believe in belief, sheer denial, myth, personal political opinion, prejudice and (sometimes) sheer stupidity, as opposed to hard empirical evidence, medicine, epidemiology, mathematics, stats and science as the antidote to what this virus can dish out. We haven't moved on one iota from medieval society really. I am surprised some haven't suggested finding the witches who were the cause of this epidemic.

The idiots who perpetrated the vandalism noted below fall into the latter moron category...

UK 5G masts attacked and telephone engineers abused...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#659 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:29 am

Several healthcare workers in England have told the BBC of a lack of equipment in their hospitals. Warned against speaking to the media, they were unwilling to talk publicly. However, one intensive care doctor from the Midlands wanted to go on record. The BBC agreed to change her name in order to protect her identity.
It is pretty clear we are being subjected to media control. Are local trusts trying to cover their arses or is it central government control?

My club president went down with CV symptoms. I passed the message to our bulletin editor together with the President's quote. Our Secretary bollocked us both for spreading alarm and despondency amongst our older members, many over 80. He said she only had a cold.

She is now in recovery and believes it was CV. She is a retired nurse.

It does no one any good hiding the truth.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#660 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:50 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:29 am

It is pretty clear we are being subjected to media control. Are local trusts trying to cover their arses or is it central government control?

It does no one any good hiding the truth.
A bit of both I would suspect.

+1
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."